Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Went to college with the second gen of the Walmart family, one was Kroenke's son and the other cousin was one of the Walton daughters' son. Both guys were just white boys from Missouri/Arkansas who wanted to play basketball, and so an informal but known arrangement was that the best players on the team would get to room/share perks with the Wal-Mart kids each year. Kareem Rush went through a string of brand new Infinitis (including the Q45 when it was brand new, 2001 or so) and the Wal-Mart kids had Ferraris and Porsches that looked like they belonged in DUB magazine circa 1998. It was a bad sight. These were the country's richest kids and they were walking around campus in Hanes sweatpants with one leg rolled up and fitted hats cocked to the side. Grandpa Sammy may have not approved. They had made a new basketball arena the last year I was in school and named it the Paige Lawry Arena; the same year it got found out that she had paid $20 a page for her roommate to write papers for her at UCLA and so they had to go back and change the name of the facility, and it'll forever be unofficially known as the '$20 a Paige Arena'

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I have no idea why but I'm kicking around this for my new ride next year:

[​IMG]

It would probably be a purchase vs. a lease.

3. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

That's a Raptor, right? Those are hot

4. Piobaire

Yup, a Raptor. Apparently an out of the box off road beast but easy to live with on a daily basis.

5. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Kinda sounds like a Range Rover. :)

6. Piobaire

LOL. Yeah, but looks fully optioned for just 50k and it comes with Ford repair bills not Rover!

7. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

LOL I was kidding, definitely a different deal. That truck really has some balls.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

when i was in 7th grade, I did a bunch of manual labor for a family friend on his farm. His truck was really useful then.

9. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

While that Raptor is pretty cool, I looked at them and walked away with the feeling that it still has the fit and finish of a Ford, and resale is likely going to suck (not to mention gas mileage). In the end I decided not to get one, and instead have kept my 2003 4Runner 4x4 (slight mods include rock rails and larger off-road tires). At this point I think the nicest serious off-roader off the shelf is going to be the freshened 4Runner when it comes out this Fall. Better tires and this thing will be a beast, and much more practical than the Raptor:

[​IMG]

10. gort

gort Senior member

Going to do some preliminary test drives this weekend. Would like to get an SUV or Crossover around late summer/early fall. Definitely going to check out an Audi Q5 prestige, not sure what else I should go look at to compare. The new infiniti JX seems to have a lot of tech which is a requirement for me. Maybe a BMW and Benz too if I have time.

11. gort

gort Senior member

12. Piobaire

Sorry, the nicest off the shelf is still Rover. This comes from someone that's actually had an LR3 and off roaded with various folks. The LR4 is a pretty stellar machine and I would be seriously surprised if the new 4Runner is both nicer and a better off roader.

Gort, that Audi is a depreciation machine. When we looked at the Q5 Prestige for Mrs. Piob the three year residual was in the mid-40s. Right now the ML350 is about 56%, the GL at 61. The BMW models are mid-50s too if I remember right. Think of resale. The JX you can get cheap but I was less than impressed with its overall finish. Felt pretty cheap. The QX and FX were both much better feeling vehicles than the JX.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I did the land rover experience in a RRS this year. I don't have any offroading experience but I went out with the instructor and we did some pretty hardcore things with it on the stock (street) tires. And it's still one of the most luxurious trucks out there.

14. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

The 4Runner isn't in the same category as the LR4 (which starts at $50k for the base model and runs north of $60k). I was just trying to pick something in the same price range, as a 4Runner Trail goes for around $40k. So yes you're correct that it (the 4Runner) isn't nicer. But I'll take the 4Runner Trail over pretty much any other stock vehicle off-road (save a Wrangler Rubicon, which is fantastic off-road and terrible everywhere else), including the LR4. The LR4 is way too heavy among other weaknesses. The 4Runner Trail is the perfect compromise and the best 4x4 at $40k in my opinion.

15. gort

gort Senior member

Forgot to consider the ML. A live in walking distance to a benz dealer so maybe I will check one out tomorrow. Got a good MB forum to visit for some more detailed info?