1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

You tell 'em! [​IMG] And since when do parts departments have girls working in there?? must just be MB. only say so as they are less likely to be a car hobbyist.

[​IMG]

Well done! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

LOL, whimp. You're a kid and should have been able to do that 30 hours straight except for a three hour nap in a truck stop parking lot.

2 people like this.
  3. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

I really like his aggressiveness. Compliments.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

That was my original plan, to drive 12-ish hours per day and get it over with ASAP but everyone I told that to was like oMG NO BAD IDEA.

Besides, I heard that some really shady shit goes down in truck pit stops.

:uhoh:

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

What does that have to do with Mercedes as a brand?

6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

You do realize that you also didn't budge for $25 / month, so what does that make you? It seems like you expect everyone to dance around you and throw you flowers.

2 people like this.
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

8. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Lol, I could respond but I don't want to blunt the pio wrath either

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

"Brand" is one of those words people toss around and really have no fucking clue what it is the word means. You would be one of those people quite obviously. The MB "brand" does not consist just of the big frisbee on the hood. It is a set of promises made to the consumer that set expectations. One of my expectations of MB is not to be spoken to like I'm a fucking child by the counter help. Enough bad experiences like this and my perception of MB changes and branding is also about perceptions. The dealers are obviously the brand ambassadors and where the customer/brand interface happens. Did I lose you here? If so let me know and I'll try and dumb it down some more.

This is true. Now, if you had more information, you would not have said something like this out of ignorance. Probably some good info to have would be the entire process, from their inability to find me a vehicle built as I wanted in the colour I wanted to how much they have come down off MSRP vs. where I started in my offer.

The only thing you got right is I do expect everyone to dance around me and throw flowers so get dancing and start fucking tossing them pedals.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Probably the worst unprovoked attitude I personally experienced was at my BMW service department. I called to make a service appointment for my M3 first service (at 1200 miles) and the receptionist immediately lit into me with an attitude, telling me that BMW first service was at 15,000 miles and I was wasting everyone's time. I told her that my BMW had a different interval because it was an M model, it said so in the manual, and if I'm wrong I'm happy to pay the dealer for their time. And please, can the attitude

When I showed up for my appointment I looked for her and was told that she was no longer with the company. I'm not sure whether they fired her for outbursts like that, or they were just telling me that so I'd feel mollified.

I've known my SA for 13 years though so I cut the dealership itself some slack.

2 people like this.
  11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

So you just eliminated a job, essentially? You're definitely not a 1%er.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm pretty easy-going, but blew my top when the MB service tech wrecked my car and they waited a couple of days to tell me. This happened about 10 years ago. They made me whole and I've not had one issue with them since then. Ironically, I've not purchased a car from them since my first MB 13 years ago, I've gotten better deals from MB dealerships elsewhere. Doesn't seem to matter to the service guys at all, I get top notch treatment including loaners with every visit.

1 person likes this.
  13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i'm pretty sure i had nothing to do with it. the first time i told anyone that she was an ass, they told me she was gone already. of course, i had no idea what she looked like, so it's entirely possible she still works there and they just fed me some BS to shut up

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

X2. 30 hours over 3 days is pathetic.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Having bought both an Acura and a MB in recent years I can say that so far I've been much happier with MB. MB is always smoothly operating, where Acura is like negotiating in a 3rd world country at the bizarre, followed by dealing with a back office staff similar to the DMV.

1 person likes this.
  16. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Having been on the other side of the counter (though in the art business, not motors), it is very easy for salesmen/staff to allow a good customer to walk away.

You are visited by 10 to 15 people per day who willingly fork over their money (that represents maybe 1% of your monthly target) with minimal fuss. It becomes incredibly hard to "go the extra mile" for a customer who spends the same money but demands a flourish.

Of course the above IN NO WAY excuses rudeness or a failing of standards, but it does help to explain it a little.

And in any arena - be it Art, Tailoring or Motor - the nice customer gets infinitely better treatment than the good customer.

1 person likes this.
  17. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

My impression is that margins on service is larger than margin on sales.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Most businesses need to work with both types in order to survive and do well. You can make your margin on nice people, but the good customer represents volume.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Why are you assuming any of us above are not nice? That we want "a flourish?" No one above is talking about "go the extra mile." I don't think trying to make a service appointment to get a tire changed is an outrageous burden on the service department. In fact, I think that's rather how they make their money, don't you? Neither HRoi nor JayJay were making demands that were outlandish. Lastly, most of these places, like my MB delearship could not survive in my (smallish) city on a "churn them and burn them" philosophy you're describing. They need return customers or they're going to fail as the pool of them possible customers is not a limitless one. We've driven nothing but Benz for some time and only left for my wife's current vehicle because the new regime was going for a big one time payday vs. the old regime's strategy of repeated medium paydays.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  20. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Undoubtedly. That was just my round about way of saying Familiarity Breeds Contempt.