Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

I'd get the latest Megane RS, that thing is a beast. The brera is nice but unless you get the 3.2L (and even if you do), it is quite underpowered and not the most reliable of the 3. Don't you want to have more options ?

2. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

Have to keep the size small to conform with parking spaces. Also popping up and down curves is a common occurrence so already iffy in the Megane's being shod on 18/19"

Prefer to stay on the sportier spectrum -- driven at most 4/5 times a month -- ruling out Audi 1, MK7 GTi, etc....

BRZ is nice proposition but won't cope well when slushy winter comes. Not sure what else on the market is compelling...

3. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

300? To hell with Astons, nice bodies, old and depleted technologies.
    Its just a matter of time until this company dies and is never heard of. The initial excitement for any Aston is great, but they get boring quite quickly.
    For 300k, Mc Laren MP4, 458 Italia, Scuderia, would be sitting in my garage.

Hope my eyes are seeing a Lotus and not a Carrera GT :fu:

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

The 6 series is also supposed to be large. It's unnecessarily large and that's what I like about it. There's no need for the front end to be that long and there's no need for the back to be that long. However, they did it because it makes it look much better. Long, wide, and low. :slayer:

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

My colleague just bought a white 640gc. What a lovely car. She parks right next to me so I always stop to admire it before I get in my car

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I beg to differ

[​IMG]

The 8 series was supposed to be unnecessarily large (and heavy) and not the 6 series

[​IMG]

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's the same size as its competitors cls and A7

5 years ago the 7 swb was just over 5 meters long, now the 5 series is pushing 5 meters and I think the touring is over, so they are growing.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I grew up with the cars we're talking about. Yes I am well-read on cars, but my experience is personal as well. It's just useless to discuss these things from a completely personal perspective since there is objective fact to tangle with.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

This is the same feeling I had, people have been moaning and groaning for years. If you look at the time periods the cars have been produced they've almost strayed from their roots longer than how long they were cultivating their roots. Fact is cars have always grown in size and people need to deal with it, that is fact.

10. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

People always like to complain about how modern things aren't as good as they were in the "golden years."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  11. Kai

Kai Senior member

Really really loving my new Fiat Abarth.

Took it on a road trip, including a stretch up the coast from San Francisco to Oregon. Highway 1 was fantastic, with the views, the twisty roads, and the little Fiat engine growling along.

Car was comfortable, fun to drive, enough space for 2 people with a week's luggage (not packing light.)

After 2400+ miles, I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

well, there's no denying that cars today are better than even the previous generation by objective performance criteria, they also have safety and technological superiority as well. these are all good things.

but the single best thing you can do for a car's performance and driving dynamics is to reduce weight. in one fell swoop your car goes faster, stops better, corners better. even gets better fuel economy. so engineers are in a constant battle to add all this tech without making the weight too bad. that's why you see all this use of composites at the top end of the market, although they make the cost go through the stratosphere and even then, there's only so much you can do (the Mclaren MP4 for example is mostly carbon fiber construction and still weight almost 3100 lbs)

if I became a true car collector, I'd have my modern cars and a few sports cars from the 90's or older. I always have to have the latest and greatest, but it's great to drive one of these light, tossable, manual shifting cars every once in awhile.

13. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

335i in black sapphire!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  14. Tweedy

Tweedy Senior member

Some lovely cars! My son who now lives in Australia's Gold coast does full vinyl wrap to vehicles, its amazing what can be done now.. www.signsurgeon.com.au

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  15. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Picked up my new ride yesterday, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Going to be great for mudding and camping this summer.