Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Excellent point.

2. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I think you meant to say electric steering assist since even hydraulic assist involves electronics nowadays. But that's a great topic to discuss. Electric assist is getting better and better and there are certainly cars that get it more right than the hydraulic assist other cars use. I chose my car in part because I preferred the road feel to the other cars I drove most of which were equipped with electric assist. As electric steering solutions become more refined, I've read that the gap has narrowed greatly. Plenty of new EPS cars have been praised for their steering dynamics, and understanding the difference (which to be honest based on the fact that you called it "electronic" I'm not sure you do) is not what matters. I'd rather talk to someone who has actually driven two cars to ask which one has better steering feel than to have someone who knows enough to be dangerous provide an underinformed opinion.

The mechanical nature of cars does not remove the human element. I can't help but think that if we were talking about bespoke clothing you would be on the other side of the fence. There are technical aspects to jackets that can be debated without first-hand knowledge but that level of debate is pretty rudimentary.

As for the burgers, substitute minetta tavern for five guys. Compare five guys to in n out . Compare McDonalds to Burger King. You can have it your way.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I think the simple fact of the matter is if aspirational cars were not discussed here it would mainly be me telling people an MB GL will fit their SUV/people hauler needs well, idfnl telling us of the snow prowess of his Audi with high perf tires, and GF talking about his BMWs. Given the kid is 24 I'm kinda jealous he's already had two decent BMWs. I was still using the bone shaker as my main means of transportation at that age.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I can guarantee you that 99% of g wagon buyers now a day, have no intention to drive it off road unless you call the sidewalk in LA or NY off road.

All cars have become bigger, the Mk1 Golf is the size of the current VW Polo (size smaller than the golf) and so have the people who drive them, which is why HM now offer a XL Eames Lounge, also the tech and security features in the new cars today require room and weight than wasn't needed in the 80's etc.

The 6's is a GT car and should be bigger is the whole point of a gran tourer 2+2 and boot for luggage.

Tech can be a good and a bad thing, it can alienate you from the driving experience, but on the other hand it will save your ass and just because you can afford an M3, 911, Ferrari etc. is doesn't mean you have the ability to control it, there's a reason why the 993 Turbo and MB Gullwing are called "widow makers".

I was looking at a 535d/550d/640d a while back and with a remap the 35d/40d has a better power to weight ratio, than 500 Abarth SS.

The allroad is exactly that a raised A4/A6 with extra plastic and if I remember correctly tougher seats,

If you want to go allroad go A6 4F.

Polestar is a swedish tuner, who does remaps and runs Volvo's touring car team, so they know Volvo's.

The current XC90 is from 03 with a facelift in 07, so it's like buying a very old GL.

5. UnFacconable

I think the point is authenticity. You are always pretty clear when you're talking about something you've driven or not. There are certain facts that can be discussed - for instance the weight difference between a 991 and 993. We have people saying one is substantially heavier than the other which accounts for a substantial downgrade in driving quality when in fact the difference in weight is almost negligible according to 30 seconds of research (3064 lbs for a 1998 993 coupe vs 3042 for a 2013 991 coupe).

I'm not advocating the removal of debate of mechanical or technical qualities, merely saying that people should be a bit more forthcoming with their backup with respect to qualitative judgment so that the readers can judge when someone is speaking out of turn.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. As for the other topic of the day...no comment [​IMG]

7. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

LOL true that.

On the cars we drive front, the F355 got new hyperflow catalytic converters last week, and the car is running AWESOME. Mrs. TC had a minor health issue that is keeping her from driving for a few weeks (nothing serious), so I've had the whole stable to myself--it's a blast driving a different car every day. LOL

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I've seen everal BMW 6 GC's around and I think they look great in the flesh. Large, yes, but I don't think egregiously so and would make excellent highway cruisers. It certainly is NOT a track car.

9. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Any thoughts on the new 4 series?

10. mafoofan

Vomit-worthy? The jewelry on the car is really tasteless.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

yeah, that was my bad. surprised actually that the weight difference is so small. I have driven both and the 993 feels more nimble (possibly because of its size, plus I prefer the "analog" rather than the "digital" feel of the steering), which is why I made a bad assumption about the weight.

at the end of the day the 993 feels to me more like a sportscar, and the 991 like a GT. which was kind of the original point

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i've seen a few as well, but the ones I've seen were all weird colors like brown and baby-poop tan. I don't understand it.

13. mafoofan

Well, it's only appropriate to pick colors suitable for a long turd.

14. UnFacconable

Didn't mean to single you out for a mistake but this last post does perfectly illustrate my point. Your seat of the pants comparison between the 991 and 993 is a better contribution to the dialogue on the difference in the two cars than someone reading from a spec sheet or parroting Chris Harris opinions.

And I'm not trying to kill all debate from people with no first hand experience. I have no problem with foo's comments that the GT3 not offering a manual transmission feels wrong to him even though (guessing) he has never driven a GT3.

And with that, I will end my crusade.

:deadhorse:

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

seen so many gorgeous gcs in Newport past couple of months, so svelte