1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Well, now that I have another car to hoon around in, I took the GT3 in for some long awaited maintenance and to look at a persistent front end noise issue.

It's the worst case scenario. I need two new PCCB rotors :fu:

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

How much $$ are we talking bout here for dat dere carbon ceramic?

I've had a persistent squeaking noise issue from my front right brakes since I bought my car and the pads and rotors are all fine. Mechanic says it's just a symptom of high performance brakes. True?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'll tell you but you'll never buy a car with ceramics after you hear this - 12 grand

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

holy fuck man.

puts all my repair woes to shame.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yikes.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Were your rotors faulty (but past warranty period) or did you just wear them down? I thought they were supposed to last a very long time. I got 100k miles on my steel rotors for my SUV but didn't drive it like a GT3 ...

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

We're not sure yet. It looks like one of the rotors cracked - could be from damage that my dumb ass didn't take care of right away (the front end noise, sort of a rattling, had been there for some time but I didn't bring it in). And it got worse and eventually required replacement. The other rotor has to be replaced because these things have to be done in pairs and it's worn enough to not be properly balanced with the new one on the other side

8. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Owns a GT3; complains about replacement part cost.

No sympathy from me.

Actually a little sympathy. I couldn't stomach the cost of repairs for my old piece of shit Range Rover Sport so I got rid of the thing.

I know the feeling.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I saw that dude's exhaust clips when they were first posted and was pleasantly surprised. They sound a lottttttt better than the exhaust clip I poasted a week or so ago.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have to get new rotors next week at a third of your cost. Doesn't make me feel better, just glad that mine aren't ceramic.

12. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

AW/SO - I say 40% of M3/4's are going to be ordered in this combo.

Car looks nice. Does nothing for me. Spec'd one out to nearly $90k or so. Something about spending nearly $100k on a new 3-series feels so wrong.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I prolly won't get ceramics again after this car. To think that I got ceramics on this one just to have it. I still appreciate how nice and massive they look and the fact that I never have brake dust on the wheels

Really, he spent $90k in UAE, or are you saying that this spec would cost $90k if we bought it in the States? If the latter, here's a ridiculous fact - the M5 that I almost leased? Final negotiated price of $95k. :rolleyes:

14. otc

otc Senior member

Can you just replace the rotors with metal or do you have to replace calipers too?

15. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

No - in Canada the M3 starts at $74k. Add some options and sales tax and you're looking at roughly $95k. Like I said before, they'll lease out for roughly the same as some of these blowout M5's (though I think those deals are gone at this point).

Personally, at $95k the LAST thing I'm looking at is a 6-cylinder BMW.

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Ah, you're in Canada. Well, the US M3 starts at $62k but you can easily get it to 90 with all the packages, DCT, full leather and the ceramic brakes. And 2 less cylinders.

Of course, they'll eventually discount this aggressively and do lease deals as well.

You'd have to get the full caliper/rotor set plus hardware. And of course, replace all four. Funny thing is, I could have gone with some brembos or stoptechs on all four corners and still spent less. But I wanted to keep the car stock/pristine

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

When I look at the M3 on BMWUSA it's a 6cyl.

For some reason I have fallen in love with the new M4 cab, the grey/red in the product shots looks amazing.

18. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Good Lord!!!

19. horndog

horndog Senior member

HRoi, I was gonna say, you could get a top of the line BBK for the cost of those front rotors. But yeah that's the GT3 tax bracket for you. Worth the cost of admission though.

As for the F80 M, that is ugly as sin. It has the proportions of a cross-over and too many angles strewn about. What on earth was the design philosophy on that exterior???