1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Weekend pricing? Was this the Q5?

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

@HRoi, I recall you speaking fondly of a 135i you owned in the past -- did you have the DCT or 6-speed? I'm thinking of downgrading to a 135i once I get a new job.

Might even get a motorcycle if I get a job in SF where I don't think I could own a car without losing my mind.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Doesn't american rental cars come to free milage?

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yes, Q5. I couldn't tell you if it was weekend pricing or not (though it was a Saturday), but the gist was $19 an hour and then over 10 hours it's a flat rate that amounted to the $220.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

varies.

6. whiteslashasian

For some reason the quote on your 2nd post incorrectly has me as the OP.

Weekends are usually more expensive for a Zipcar. A Civic will go from $89 flat daily rate during the week to $109 or even $119 for the weekend.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

fixed.

a Honda Odyssey would have been around $150 on the weekend, and for all purposes would have been just as well suited to the task at hand. But, you know, I wanted to drive the Audi.

last fall, we rented a Mini Cooper, and it was in the $140-160 range for a day rate.

1 person likes this.
  8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Yes a 2008 135i with two tone red/black interior and a start button surround plate proclaiming it as "Year 1 of the 1"! Back then they only had Steptronic, no DCT, which mine was.

This was BMW's first turbo motor in years which meant "omg this is the fastest entry level BMW I've ever driven!" It also meant "should I ask BMW to buy it back after the third time the fuel pump crapped out?"

Super fun little car but I don't think I'd go back. I drove the 1M on the track as well, and it was great in small doses. Also, isn't it getting replaced by the M235i?

Regarding both cars, I just don't get the point of a small car weighing 3400-3500 lbs. I get that the market demands safety and convenience features, but if my small car isn't pretty light, then I'd just go with a bigger, more comfortable car

1 person likes this.
  9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Ordered clear LED side markers and blacked out taillights to eliminate the exterior yellows and reds on the Cayman and keep all colors to white and black/anthracite.

I'm never satisfied with any car i get and I have to tinker with it almost as soon as I get it. It's a sickness.

10. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

Any plans for the brake calipers?

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Shit, I forgot about those. Prolly just leave them for resale purposes because I kinda think people expect Porsches to have red calipers

12. xpress

xpress Senior member

One of my tenants works at a BMW dealership, so I had the opportunity to drive the new 2 series the other day.

After spending loads of time in the 128 and 135, I can say that I have an instant love/hate relationship with the new 2.

Love:
    It's more comfortable. All the Canadian cars come equipped with "Sport Line", but even so, it's just as comfortable as a non-sport package equipped 1.
    The interior is second level. Not even close. The seats are better, the dash is nicer, the iDrive looks like it was built for the car.
    It looks good in person... No, really.

Hate:
    As with all new generation BMW's, I feel they've sacrificed more sport than they've gained in comfort. Probably not a good thing at the 2 series level.
    I'm sure dynamically it's superior in most every way, but it doesn't feel as snappy or quick.
    Call me old school, but I'd take the straight 6 over the turbo 4 each and every time. I know that's a bit cliche, and the turbo'd 4 is technically a much better engine, but the sound of this turbo 4 is... Bad.
    It honestly sounds like the V10 M5 sounds on startup (not good), and sort of sounds like a Ford Ecoboost at WOT.

MY thoughts:
    I loved the 128 & 135 when optioned properly.
    This 2 series starts things on the right foot, with the sport-line as standard.
    However, as everyone else is sure to say, buy the 235... For the love of your ears.

13. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

I got the chance to drive the new M235i the other day and I must say I had a blast driving it.

Brilliant performance, however as much as I loved the feel of the car on the road, the cabin just fell a little flat on me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Wow, it looks so much sharper in white. Love it.

15. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Thank God I only by cheap, stone old cars. To my surprise, they actually go up in value. For $99k (or something), I doubt I would ever buy any Audi … but a 56 356A coupe would look really tempting again … or maybe a SWB Giulietta Spider Veloce?

HRoi, late congrats on the Cayman! That car looks simply stunning and I know it will put big grins on faces whoever is behind the wheel.

Mike

16. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

What can I say .... simply beautiful and with the right aggressiveness

17. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

The wheels need changing ASAP on the M235i I think - really boring IMO.

Further to my preview comment about the interior, there was nothing wrong with the seating position, but this is a car which is also going to be sold for half the M235i price so the materials used are not upgraded throughout. The technology and display in the car is fantastic also. One thing I think lacks a little in the SQ5 but will likely be addressed in the next generation Q5.

18. whiteslashasian

Which car is half the M235i price?

19. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Can't get down with the styling but I'd love to have an hour or so with the 235.

20. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Sorry, not half the price. In Australia list is;

Price: $50,500 (220i), $52,500 (220d), $79,900 (M235i) - plus on-roads