• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wait, a BMW driver acting like a douchebag? that's strange - I've never ever seen that happen!
laugh2-smiley.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from the photo thread. Driving back on beautiful CA-33 after a track day at Buttonwillow:

Congrats Hampton on your new car. You'll love it once the dealership sorts it out.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The absurdity of the G-class is precisely what makes it one of the most interesting cars currently being made by anybody. It makes no compromises--either functionally or aesthetically.

There's nothing absurd about it, it's simply one of the last cars from old world still being made, with minimal evolutions (the other car being the Morgan, which isn't available in the US as new) - though the pace of updates to the G class has quickened over the years to add superfluous trendy things like LED strips and blinker mirrors. The best iteration of the G class is probably the G55 from 07-12. There are few cars that are insta-classics that you can go out and buy new, but the G-class is one of them.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think i get why it's absurd - it was purpose built and evolved over multiple decades to be a badass offroader and do-everything military vehicle. and then Mercedes decided they would stuff the craziest performance engine into it and call it a luxury sports SUV. there's a G65 on offer with a twin turbo V12 FFS.

although it's never hits the mark on true performance and/or luxury no matter what kind of retrofits are done to it, much like the Hummer H1. it's too spartan and militaristic at its core to really overcome its basic onroad deficiencies and no-bullshit interior design

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's nothing absurd about it, it's simply one of the last cars from old world still being made, with minimal evolutions (the other car being the Morgan, which isn't available in the US as new) - though the pace of updates to the G class has quickened over the years to add superfluous trendy things like LED strips and blinker mirrors. The best iteration of the G class is probably the G55 from 07-12. There are few cars that are insta-classics that you can go out and buy new, but the G-class is one of them.

You are totally misreading me.

I am not insulting the G-class. It is absurd in that it is uncompromising to broad consumer tastes. I have said many times in the past it is one of my favorite cars in the world.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, it's absurd in the sense of the AMG models - but I think that it's actually quite appealing to many, I have only ever heard people say that they desire one. The only hurdle is the price, really.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most of the people who buy the G-class do not use its special capabilities. They buy it for its looks and prestige. Yet, there are huge practical compromises in order to achieve that unused ability. It was designed to be a military vehicle--as such, it is packaged like one and handles like one.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
they also typically own a Russian passport

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I've always liked the g class but having the aerodynamics of a box and the mileage of an aventador make it rather impractical unless you're just a short drive down benedict canyon to cruise the sunset strip.

JuyLe

Reaction score
A stripped down version with an efficient engine would be very attractive.

But mostly. This.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

"Back in 1989, as the Berlin Wall fell, Gunther Holtorf and his wife Christine set out on what was meant to be an 18-month tour of Africa in their Mercedes Benz G Wagen. Now, with more than 800,000km (500,000 miles) on the clock, Gunther is still going.

The German former airline executive has travelled the equivalent of 20 times around the planet in the vehicle - which he calls Otto. He says he has never had a serious breakdown. Recently in Vietnam, Canadian-born photographer David Lemke joined Gunther on one section of his epic journey."

Last edited:

henrikc

Reaction score
Could always import one. In Europe they sell the G350 diesel, which should get around 21 MPG mixed (1,12 L/km). You can live with that, especially since you're driving around in a 2,6 ton heavy car.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

they also typically own a Russian passport

Very true :)

a few years ago when skiing in Switserland our instructor confided he drove one. When asked if he had any trouble with it, he answered he had none, as it was practically new.
He then proceeded to tell us he had had a Russian family as a client in the year before. On the way up the mountain toward that lesson he crashed his car and missed the lesson with that family. The father was very pissed off with him at first, but after finding out he crashed his car told him he could have his when they went back to Russia. He actually showed us the car, an amg, to prove it really happened.

Russians...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads