Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

is there an excellent reason why you prefer to drive instead of cab or subway. It's hard to fathom how much more costly your commute is compared to these other options.

they did a few revs, and the car clearly has some serious muscle. But then again, I don't think used DB9 or Gran Tourismo prices are too far away.

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I work in NJ. No public transport where I need to go.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Very nice looking. Love the treatment on the tail lights.

4. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

i saw one of these in white just last weekend. Only saw it from the rear from a distance and had no idea what it was. glad to see this post it bugged me all last week. white looked sharp BTW

5. horndog

horndog Senior member

I still don't understand how Jaguar survives in the market. They've taken bold steps with the F-type, admirably, but damn if every design of theirs has a German counterpart that seems to do it better.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

They are owned by TATA.

The XJ is most likely their bread maker

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I've always been a full coverage guy, but a friend brought up an interesting scenario with his car which gave me pause, would you get full coverage or liability?

Car is worth about $12k

Annual premium is $1800 + 1k deductible

Liability premium is $380

Is it worth paying that much to insure a car fully or is it worth the risk of liability?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You cannot (legally) drive without liability so you really cannot drive with liability risk.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I think what he's saying is going from Full Coverage to Liability coverage only would be a huge money saving on a per annum basis. Considering the relatively low cost of the car, would that saving be worth it?

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Exactly, question is if its worth the risk to save the $1400+ a year. I really don't know what to advise him.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Well, he still has no "liability risk" as if he does not own the car free and clear the lender is going to force him to have coverage. If the question is just a straight forward, "He owns the car outright and pays 1.4k for replacement cost of a car worth 12k" I would simply remind people of the reason we buy insurance: to guard against events that would be catastrophic relative to income. If he could not finance or buy a replacement car then insure it; if he can save then 1.4k and effectively he's self-insuring. There is such a thing as being over insured and this guy might be a case of it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  12. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Assuming the car is paid off, just do liability and add vandalism and theft.

13. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Agree with Pio. The guy needs to decide if he's willing to pay 8% of the car's value this year to insure it's well-being, and really he'd have to spend $2400 before he gets a dime back. I don't know that I would entirely describe it as paying $2400 to replace the car because collision would protect him in less than catastrophic scenarios as well. I have an old SUV that has numerous dings (they add character right?) that I have never deemed worthy of fixing. He has to decide if he cares about cosmetics and, notably, how likely he is to cause damage to his own car while driving it - which is all that collision covers.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The car is paid off. You're not allowed to just insure liability on a car that has a loan.

The car is in good shape. Its not pristine, its a daily driver. He's not the kind of guy to fix every mark, but he does take good care of his cars.

15. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Youd need to have an absurdly high level of risk aversion to justify that policy on a 12k car.