1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jet

jet Senior member

thought gts sposed to have 370

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

You raise great points, Credit where it's due. But i'm from the mind of " if i didn't build it, i can't trust it" let alone justify the losses on depreciation. when talking cars in general, some older one's still own. And talking new ones? it better be damn good.[​IMG] - As in a keeper.
    In summer i will be rocking 550+hp, with tuned suspension. And only a little turbo lag, in a car that weighs the same as a Civic. so my question is?

when my station in life grows, why would i buy one of these cars? Porshe/BMW apart from the name. it's an honest question. and i'm open to your answer.- hoping you can sway me.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Dude your post is incomprehensible.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I'm pretty sure the answer is apple 42 purple.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

No need for anyone to sway anyone. If you want to drive a boosted tuner car for the rest of your days, that's perfectly fine. A lot of others will choose Porsche and it's impossible to justify either choice by using hard data only. The best chance that the Cayman has of convincing someone to buy it is a test drive, preferably on a track or deserted canyon

Tbh the Skylines will probably always win the performance per dollar game, and that's every credit to Nissan. I thought the numbers would sway me when i cross shopped the R35 with the 911 TT, and I ended up with a 911 GT3 that has "worse" numbers than the other two.

If you want 550+ hp, tunability and gobs of luxury, you can get an m5 or E AMG. Costs a lot more than a spartan 20 year old tuner car, yes, but I think the advantages there are pretty obvious if you're willing to pay your money

6. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Pitching in on the horsepower discussion. The most satisfying driving experience of any Porsche I have ever put my hands on: 1956 356A - 60hp of eternal bliss behind your ass from the "Normal" engine. The car feels like it has double that horsepower and, from the beginning, Porsche knew it is the handling, not the power per se.

I will regret to all eternity that I ever sold this particular car. The best colors Porsche ever put on a car and, in my opinion, apart from early 911S cars, the fucking best street car Porsche ever made. Thank God I sold it to a friend and I know where it is ...

Mike

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    7 people like this.
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Beautiful color and styling. Love it.

8. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Thanks for not being a snob, and responding to the best of your knowledge. perhaps i will drive a porshe, to try one out. they are becoming more affordable for the late 1990's ones. with low mileage etc.

Honestly, a tuned R34 might float your boat more than the new R35. as a few guys on Skyline forums have complained about them not having "Feel".
    Wow!, the GT3 is a pretty sweet ride. and will put my car away. easily. though not too many others would. money, and taste??? (Tips hat) you, are a rare breed of man.

I looked at a few Benz's and Bmw's before i bought this one. with a 2000 (ish) E55 going for $10,000 or less. I just like the aftermarket support that nissan has. especially for the guy who likes to do his own work. not complaining about others using workshops, it's just a way to relax and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
    And electric windows, aircon, and cup holders are all the luxury i need.[​IMG] - An audio system helps too. [​IMG]

9. death shot

death shot Senior member

Good Lord...

[​IMG]

10. otc

otc Senior member

Somebody around the corner from me street parks and daily drives (or whatever you call it if you use it for normal things but still take the bus/train to work) a 944. There's also a 3000gt that lives a block west on the same street that recently acquired some body damage but used to look like a decent ride.

Not sure how practical that would really be with an older non-911, but I would love to do that. They aren't that expensive although maintenance would be an issue (and they aren't bad to work on, but...tough to work on a Porsche in the street). Sure, you will be pushing it into the end of its life keeping it like that, but "what good is dating a model if you aren't going to smack her ass and pull her hair"

edit: and there used to be a pair of 300zx owners around the same intersection (complete with shocker stickers), but they had mismatched/poorly sprayed body pieces and fart cans so I never really payed them any mind. Saw one recently, but the other must have been sold or moved away.

11. jfranci3

jfranci3 Well-Known Member

The GTS is an S with all the performance accessories. The power difference is just the exhaust. It'll actually depreciate better than an S with options and be cheaper, so it is a bargain as long as you don't mind seat embroidery and are fine with black interior.

The GTS is a LOT more expensive and the M235i is a 235i with an M on it. Don't let the M distract you; it needs a better diff and stiffer bushings.

12. otc

otc Senior member

In college I worked for a guy who daily drove a vintage 911. I would guess late 70's/early 80s, no whale tail (not a fan), no frills, just a car that drove like it was on rails.

He lived downtown so his daily driver needs weren't high (and the wife had an SUV and he bought his dad a truck that he could use to tow his boat), but it was a fun car and its small size made it easy to park if you had to go somewhere. I got to drive it to go run errands or go pick up his kids from sports practice...just felt like it had such a direct connection to the road that modern electronics filled cars don't have. I don't recall him ever having issues with the car, but I suppose living in the city and having access to other vehicles means it wouldn't matter much if you couldn't drive it.

He got rid of it a few years back for a 997 though...a more capable and reliable car, but not quite as much soul (probably even more fun to drive though)

13. jfranci3

jfranci3 Well-Known Member

It doesn't take much time to realize how boring a refined, modern sports car is to drive on the street. It takes zero effort to do anything. An underpowered beater, like a mid-80s econobox, is a much more fun car do drive than a 997 on most roads because you're constantly working the car. That late 70s car you can get on boil in everyday driving, while a 997 you never make it work.

1 person likes this.
  14. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

986 Boxster was fun to drive at 30mph. It wasn't all that fast in a straight line, the interior quality was shit, and you were always worried about an IMS failure tanking your engine. But that car was fun at any speed.

16. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

the elegance you can not comment ... but only love

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Lol'd at a white mp4 with a Mcluvin license plate. I think it's been mentioned here before.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I saw that car on Fri. Can post a pic later.

19. horndog

horndog Senior member

It's always more fun to drive slow cars fast than fast cars slow.

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I partially agree - stipulating that it has to be the right underpowered car. A 90's - 00's Corolla or Civic is not fun to drive under any circumstances (spoken as someone who's had more than a decade driving them in his not-so-mature youth), but an MX5 or the '56 Porsche above? Hell yes.