1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

DCT systems have clutches. in fact, they have 2.
    Miss the point much? Insert the word "manual" before the word "engagement" if that causes you less angst over the technical phrasing of my post..

2. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

I've never found shifting my own gears the incredible chore most Americans seem to.
    Same here. I love driving a manual, not necessarily in all driving situations (e.g., Chicago rush-hour traffic) or daily, but when I'm in the mood for spirited driving, it's great to have the option.

3. sjd

sjd Senior Member

There's an excellent article in this month's Road & Track comparing manuals with dual clutch gearboxes including some back to back track testing. They use a pair of Evos and a pair of Caymans. In every instance the twin clutch is faster, by over a second in the case of the Evo X, however after only a few runs the twin clutches overheat. All 3 of my cars are manuals and my MX-5 sees a lot of track use. I have never had a problem with a manual gearbox breaking or overheating. Also the twin clutch gearbox in the Evo X can't take a lot of additional power once you start modifying the engine. I have driven an Evo X with the SST and enjoyed it, but reliability is a worry for me. Now a sequential dogbox is different story, I would run one of them.

4. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Distinguished Member

There's an excellent article in this month's Road & Track comparing manuals with dual clutch gearboxes including some back to back track testing. They use a pair of Evos and a pair of Caymans. In every instance the twin clutch is faster, by over a second in the case of the Evo X, however after only a few runs the twin clutches overheat. All 3 of my cars are manuals and my MX-5 sees a lot of track use. I have never had a problem with a manual gearbox breaking or overheating. Also the twin clutch gearbox in the Evo X can't take a lot of additional power once you start modifying the engine. I have driven an Evo X with the SST and enjoyed it, but reliability is a worry for me. Now a sequential dogbox is different story, I would run one of them.

Not surprising. And automatic transmissions in general in the past decade have far outperformed manual transmissions. I think I just have a lot of hate because I'm used to seeing all these idiot kids who think their Honda Civics are fast because they have manual transmissions. I've had a lot of the same kids tell me my AMG was slow because it had an automatic. None of them could shift either, and destroyed their clutches and transmissions and couldn't figure out why. They thought it was all the power their cars made.

5. The_Jar

The_Jar Senior Member

here's my 02 c5 corvette. 6speed. z51 suspension, and torch red interior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

Miss the point much?

Insert the word "manual" before the word "engagement" if that causes you less angst over the technical phrasing of my post..

[​IMG]

automatic guys never let up

7. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

I dunno what's worse - guys that can't drive manual, or guys that are manual fanboys.

Seriously, get over yourselves. Your 6-speed M3 is not quicker than an SMG M3. And for those of us who don't like in butt fuck middle of nowhere and actually have to deal with traffic on a regular basis, SMG is a great compromise.

The only people that hate on SMG are the ones who've never used it. End of story.

And FWIW, I've been driving manual longer than you've been driving period so lets dead that argument once and for all.

8. gnatty8

I dunno what's worse - guys that can't drive manual, or guys that are manual fanboys. Seriously, get over yourselves. Your 6-speed M3 is not quicker than an SMG M3. And for those of us who don't like in butt fuck middle of nowhere and actually have to deal with traffic on a regular basis, SMG is a great compromise. The only people that hate on SMG are the ones who've never used it. End of story. And FWIW, I've been driving manual longer than you've been driving period so lets dead that argument once and for all.
    nvm, I'm finished responding to your bullshit..

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

And so it begins [​IMG]

Automatic guys are some of the most sensitive, defensive people I've ever seen on a message board. I've been driving manual for 19 years in the worst traffic in the country on a weekly basis [​IMG]

10. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

I've been driving manual for 19 years in the worst traffic in the country on a weekly basis [​IMG]

So you're not a fanboy, you're just stupid.

Gotcha.

11. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Distinguished Member

It doesn't matter what you prefer as long as you understand that automatics are better at shifting then you are. If you acknowledge that and still want to drive a manual for the experience then that is cool. I'm just really tired of people thinking manuals are magically faster somehow.

12. sjd

sjd Senior Member

Not surprising. And automatic transmissions in general in the past decade have far outperformed manual transmissions. I think I just have a lot of hate because I'm used to seeing all these idiot kids who think their Honda Civics are fast because they have manual transmissions. I've had a lot of the same kids tell me my AMG was slow because it had an automatic. None of them could shift either, and destroyed their clutches and transmissions and couldn't figure out why. They thought it was all the power their cars made.

A twin clutch is not an automatic though. True automatics are quite often slower than manuals. I too, commute 120km a day (round trip) in terrible Toronto traffic with a manual transmission and it doesn't make me stupid either. It just that for the times when I can utilize a manual transmission it all becomes worth it, like at the track. I don't care that it's slower because it comes down to driver while you are in competition. Manuals are more fun and more involving period. I will always own one. For the record I don't hate on SMG's or Twin Clutches. I just wouldn't buy one and yes I have driven them.

13. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Distinguished Member

Miss the point much? Insert the word "manual" before the word "engagement" if that causes you less angst over the technical phrasing of my post..
    because "pedal" is such a difficult, technical word

14. gnatty8

It doesn't matter what you prefer as long as you understand that automatics are better at shifting then you are. If you acknowledge that and still want to drive a manual for the experience then that is cool. I'm just really tired of people thinking manuals are magically faster somehow.

I do acknowledge that the new DCT is a much better and more efficient gear shifter than I am, but then, I am not out there drag racing much, so that greater efficiency is meaningless to me.

15. gnatty8

because "pedal" is such a difficult, technical word

[​IMG]