• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Why not just rent a car, when needed?

If you have the $$$ get a W212 E63 wagon.

I was just going to suggest the AMG Wagon too. Might not carve a corner like your Porsche but with a 0 - 60 around four seconds you should be happy.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its time for me to bite the bullet and buy a family car. Whats out there that wont make me hate life? Little weekend trips is all this car will be used for.

Im thinking the hatch versions of the wrx sti or cts v may be worth looking into.

Ive owned exactly 2 cars in my life so Im open to about anything. Needs to fit 2 car seats, cargo, and have a bit of performance (Im ditching my 911 for this!)

Twins?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
/requisitewagonrecommendation

Would rather have a CPO W212 E63T over the CTS-V, but good luck finding one, and the ones with 7-passenger seating are even harder to find. I think I heard they sold something like 60 of them per model year in the USA. On the bright side, if it's just a weekend car, you might not end up putting mileage on it and it'll hold value relatively well for a new-age MB due to the rarity. They trade for a good premium above the sedan and there are people who always looking for one.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
base price for the 2014 Stingray is out.

are you ready for this? $51k

cheaper than a loaded 3-series

I sent my father a picture and he's ready for one. Well he said, "Will there be a convertible? Because you know I have a thing for convertibles". I assured him there will be one. Then he started talking about how he's on a fixed income and I said, "Wow - woujah look at the time. I got a meeting in 5 minutes Dad. Gotta run..."
laugh2-smiley.gif

He thinks he is slick

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Z06 might be a 911T killer for M3 prices. I am closely monitoring this

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Z06 might be a 911T killer for M3 prices. I am closely monitoring this

Has it got a solid axle, still? Would you seriously give up a scalpel for a sledgehammer?

~ H

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Vette isn't that unrefined. Maybe giving up a scalpel for a machete is a better analogy. I definitely plan on test driving it and going from there

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Has it got a solid axle, still? Would you seriously give up a scalpel for a sledgehammer?

~ H

If you have the pythons for it a sledge is pretty damn satisfying at times.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

~ H

When was the last time you drove a vette? I know my dad had a 90something and now has a 2007. It impressed me

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never. I am assuming, arguendo, that it is like most of the current crop of Detroit muscle, most of which I've driven (Camaro SS, Mustang GT, etc). Fun, totally tossable and completely enjoyable. But not, I thought, what someone used to Euro sportscars would be into. Also, the interiors are usually pretty bad --- perhaps the worst part.

Piob, strangely enough I have a hobby that requires liberal use of a 22lb sledge. It is awesome. I nicknamed my favorite sledge because i love it so. Oh, I need to get out of law school and have some fun again.

~ H

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

/requisitewagonrecommendation

Would rather have a CPO W212 E63T over the CTS-V, but good luck finding one, and the ones with 7-passenger seating are even harder to find. I think I heard they sold something like 60 of them per model year in the USA. On the bright side, if it's just a weekend car, you might not end up putting mileage on it and it'll hold value relatively well for a new-age MB due to the rarity. They trade for a good premium above the sedan and there are people who always looking for one.

I'm glad I live in Europe, I think half of all E63 are wagons, so they are "easy" to come by.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Never.  I am assuming, arguendo, that it is like most of the current crop of Detroit muscle, most of which I've driven (Camaro SS, Mustang GT, etc). Fun, totally tossable and completely enjoyable. But not, I thought, what someone used to Euro sportscars would be into. Also, the interiors are usually pretty bad --- perhaps the worst part.

The Vette is surprisingly different from the others. I've gotten into the habit recently of upgrading my rental cars on biz trips and have a few weeks' seat time in the mustang gt, Camaro SS cv and the Vette 50th anniv cv.

The first two are still fairly crude, heavy feeling, disconnected and really not enjoyable for me. The Camaro especially is a pos. the corvette was totally different. The engine is an unrefined torque monster like the others, but the handling and driving characteristics are tons better

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Vette is surprisingly different from the others. I've gotten into the habit recently of upgrading my rental cars on biz trips and have a few weeks' seat time in the mustang gt, Camaro SS cv and the Vette 50th anniv cv.

The first two are still fairly crude, heavy feeling, disconnected and really not enjoyable for me. The Camaro especially is a pos. the corvette was totally different. The engine is an unrefined torque monster like the others, but the handling and driving characteristics are tons better

This post is true, but the vette is still a hunk of lard compared to refined sports car. In addition, it has a pretty bad reputation as a prick extender.

Unfortunately the 6.3 Mercs are the same thing around power delivery. What use is the power when you can't transition it? Its all for numbers.

mike1445

Reaction score
Our local shop guy has a late '00s model Z06 in that bright red he brought over the other night. Nice guy, i was warned not to join him for a ride as he has genuinely scared the **** out of my father in law. he loves to drive it fast and it has a mind of its own when you get into the throttle more than modestly. He stated multiple times how he's embarrassed to take it to dinner/events for the prick extension vibe it lends but he's a car guy and pretty set in the "buy American" mindset so couldn't help himself when the opportunity to purchase came up. Mostly just cruises with it on nice nights

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This post is true, but the vette is still a hunk of lard compared to refined sports car. In addition, it has a pretty bad reputation as a prick extender.

Unfortunately the 6.3 Mercs are the same thing around power delivery. What use is the power when you can't transition it? Its all for numbers.

the ZO6 weighs about as much as a Ferrari F430. it's 150-200 lbs heavier than a GT3, but has better power-to-weight ratio than both of those cars.i didn't drive the C6 on the track but i don't think it will be any trouble putting the power down. if anything, it's the **** automatic transmission that made the power delivery uneven for me, particularly on kickdowns. i'd definitely go manual on this car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads