1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Puts the old one to shame. Also interesting seeing Ferrari use forced induction again.

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I still wouldn't buy one.

1 person likes this.
  3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You mean the "the GF experience" .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Not a big California fan.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Guy here with a restaurant down the street DD's a first-gen Cali Spyder like it's a Honda and parks it in front of his shop all day, literally everyday. Even has the ceramics. Red over classic tan hides, Daytona seats, etc, it's decent butI'm surprised how little it stirs people up. It's definitely not a 458. I am halfway between understanding the guy's feelings and not at all. I'm just surprised it handles daily driving apparently like a German car.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I've never had to "hustle" for money on an hourly basis, but damn, it's tough lol. I couldn't imagine doing uber full time.

Did around 80 bucks last night over 3 hours and did one trip today for some gents going to DFW Airport for $37.

All in all, made $150 since I started. I don't feel like it's worth my time but it's been a fun experiment. Definitely met some interesting people and flirty drunk chicks eventually were had.

Almost got roped into being in a documentary on uberx drivers by these two filmmaker dudes from LA.

The best passengers I had were two gentlemen partners who had just finished watching a musical or something. And I only say best because they were extremely polite and were the only people to give me additional cash tips.

Some major cons were smokers who stank up my car (residual smoak from having just smoaked before getting in).

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

would watch if you were in it

1 person likes this.
  8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I wonder if you can specify which car picks you up. I would totally pay for an über ride in an m5

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Holy fuck, I didn't even think about this. Total deal breaker for me, not that I was ever considering Ubering, but still

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Remember what I said about GT cars the other day. ;)

11. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Vantage prices are starting to approach 997 C2S prices. Which would you prefer? I'm not a big Aston guy but something about a 6-speed Vantage rubs me the right way.

[​IMG]

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I don't care for Astons that much.

Rather get the Porsche for its driving dynamics.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Are the cheaper vantages in that period where they were owned by Ford/Volvo? I remember seeing an article on a pissed off Aston owner after a side mirror broke revealing the Ford/Volvo branding like they just swapped out interchangeable parts.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

:laugh:

I don't NEED the money. I WANTS it!

Regardless, I have been compared to Conne and that is bad enough.

1 person likes this.
  16. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Yup!

[​IMG]

That said, I'm cool with the parts-bin keyfob but I can't believe Aston got away with using this Ford Aerostar steering wheel in the Virage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, and you probably get the worst of it too--they come out of the bar, light up and pull out the uber app, and then take a final drag and stomp it out when you pull up.

If I bought a car, I'd probably consider giving it a try for entertainment value. I live near two heavy bar areas (Wrigleyville and Boystown) so I could probably snatch some surge pricing pretty easily. Only problem would be figuring out how to get a fare back home from wherever I take them...it would be just my luck that each new fare would take me progressively further from home.

Also, I am not sure why people pay surge pricing in most areas around here. Last night, Uber X was running 4.25X surge pricing...a yellow cab Uber was a shorter wait (and I probably could have flagged one down on the street just as fast) and they never charge anything more than straight meter rates. I could see it happening in towns where Uber doesn't have access to the yellow cab market, or more remote areas where there aren't lots of cabs...but if I was anywhere near my neighborhood, and had even 2X surge pricing, I would just find a yellow cab.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Re: smoakers, that's exactly what happened each time.

They stomp out their cigs when I pull up and the stench is godawful the entire ride.

I roll down all my windows (how I normally drive anyway) and aerate the shit out of my car when I drop them off and the smell doesn't linger, thankfully, but it's still annoying.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I couldn't deal with the smoke smell, no way.