Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I was driving from NYC to PA and near (amish country) and saw a maroon McLaren F1 with florida license plates on the highway. Pretty ironic figuring we were so near where amish ride their horse drawn carriages on the highways (the carriages actually have turn signal lights!) from the lowest tech to super engineered racing machines.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I gave up on radar detectors with my last BMW because I still ended up getting two tickets. :( I decided that the best approach for me was to use my cruise control religiously, even in the city.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against radar detectors at all, it's just that I was on the verge of facing serious consequences by a getting another ticket, so I decided the best approach for me was to not rely on it.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

never had a radar detector and don't like clutter so no need for one

4. habitant

habitant Senior member

Looking into importing a BMW 600, or Fiat Multipla, anyone here have ANY experience with those cars?

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

It's available here!

[​IMG]

Lol.

HRoi, that's sick. Looks like I'm going to have to get dat 9500ix. Reviews are fantastic.

What model radar detector were you using at the time?

(I hope it wasn't the 9500ix :uhoh:)

Also, I've gotten two tickets since I started driving.. and... that reminds me, I have to take that stupid online driver's safety course again (6 hours!!)!! :fu:

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

That model wasn't available back then; it was 4 or 5 cars ago when I had one.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

hey GreenFrog, apparently you can park your M5 down near Gramercy Park and be totally safe

[​IMG]

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Hmm. I don't know how radar detectors were 4-5 years ago, but maybe give them another shot!

I just bought the 9500ix (30 minutes ago) and I haven't gotten a ticket yet -- seems to be working!

:slayer:

Lol, that's just begging to get keyed/towed.

Although.. the 458 is different. I can't imagine the type of person that would key a beaut like that. Nah, that shit would just get towed and probably damaged in the process :(.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Four or 5 cars ago, not years. It was a little more than 10 years back.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The thing with radar detectors is you shouldn't drive around like you're suddenly invisible to cops. Practice the same situational awareness and don't drive like an asshole :)

It's best used as a tool to improve your odds. The best way to never get ticketed is to never speed, but.....meh to that

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Even if your intent is to never speed, you can still get distracted, make a mistake re the limit where you are, be going downhill and not realize, be passing someone near the limit, etc. That's why I have my V1.

~H

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Whoops -- misread!

!! In that case, definitely consider a radar detector. I'm confident that today's detectors are leaps and bounds ahead of the ones available 10 years back.

I do 70% city driving here and I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't run into any speed traps yet. Granted, I've only had my 9500ix for less than a day, but this is making me think I don't even need one anymore, lol.

--

Anyway, won't be back home for another 10 days from now so I went on a late-night cruise. God.. dat V10 scream.

I'm going to miss her so much so that I'm already contemplating asking my manager to let me fly back home early :p

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

13. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Senior member

Anyone here know anything about the 380SL? A local-ish dealer has an '83, one owner and garage kept with only 44k miles for $8k. I asked and he said it's had the double timing chain upgrade done. I'm interested in this as a weekend/sunny day driver:

[​IMG]

14. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

I looked it up on forums and they aren't exactly very enthusiastic about it there. But since the double row timing chain upgrade was done, and if there is no perforating rust on it, then I guess that if you bargain a bit, it should be ok, especially at that price with this small mileage.

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

i think that generation is something of a good deal once you get the Euro bumpers and headlights done to them, and let the design really sing. They look very classic and extremely elegant, but have the qualities of something a little more modern.