1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Mini = FWD.
    M5 = 560hp beast.

Sorry, which one did you consider to be an authentic BMW?

(and I'm using the word "asshole" as an expression more than anything - buy whatever you want with your money)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The one without the fake exhaust note. Sorry, that completely ruins it for me. Maybe I'll get over it someday.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I know a couple 100k minis.

4. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

No, you're not if you buy one of those.

[​IMG]

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

6. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

7. horndog

horndog Senior member

I thought the whole point of the 4 series number change was to signify coupe?

8. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

9. horndog

horndog Senior member

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I think I am going to skip this whole generation of BMW to protest this continued asshattery.

And I didn't even skip the Bangle generation

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I guess that means I'll be the first poaster here to get an i8 :teach:

12. horndog

horndog Senior member

Considering BMW's savvy for electrical reliability, the i8 should be like watching an amputee shuffle cards.

1 person likes this.
  13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Lol I'm in Fort Lauderdale right now and in the span of 2 hours I've already seen numerous exotics and sports cars.

I hear a sick exhaust note and look up to see a fiat abarth :laugh: it sounds really good!

14. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I like the 4 gran coupe better than 3 series.

15. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

A few weeks with an M5, day 1...

Fuck I hate electronics. Took me damn near 10 minutes to figure out how to unfold the fucking side mirrors. Took me another 10 minutes to figure out how to put the thing in park and turn the fucker off. That said, god bless the back-up camera and sensors and all that shit because this rhinoceros is not an easy thing to maneuver in tight spaces. My last car was an RRS HSE and that thing had archaic technology so I've pretty much missed out on a couple of generations of new technology when it comes to cars, but now I fully understand why "enthusiasts" bitch and moan about it.

That said, all judgement goes out the window when you put the thing in Sport Plus and you have some open road in front of you. The brute force of the torque and acceleration is mind-boggling. The only issue is the thing accelerates so quickly that you eat up all the road in the blink of an eye and you've only scratched the surface of what it's capable of doing. This experience is akin to nearly climaxing during sex but not quite busting a nut. And god damnit, I wanna bust a nut. Over and over and over and over.

I think BMW did a fantastic job with the car but I'm not the target demographic and for that reason I don't love it like someone in their 40's or 50's and with a family would love it. It's just too big... too comfortable... too predictable (if that makes any sense). I mean, you step on the gas and the thing goes. That routine must get boring after a while. I'm torn as to whether or not I enjoyed driving the E46 M more because at least with that thing it was far more nimble and it loved to be revved. Classic case of slower but more engaging, vs brutally fast but somewhat boring to drive.

I dunno.

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

It's also heavy as fuck and ever since I drove the cayman s, my car feels like a fucking boat too.

There's something to be said about small, light, nimble cars like the Porsches and, in your example, the e46 m3. I'm curious to feel the driving dynamics of the new m3/4 since it's supposed to be lighter than the e46 m3.

I think my next car is either going to be a 135is or m235i.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I actually want to drive a M5 and an AMG back to back to see if my theory is true that an M5 is now essentially an AMG product. Bawlin's review basically confirmed my thoughts almost word for word

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Also, just so idfnl's eyes don't pop out, what do you guys think about the Jag F-type coupe? I need to go see it in person....I drove the convertible at a Jaguar event, and initially loved it because the exhaust note is so good. But the street handling was just average and I hated the slushbox.

But man the coupe is pretty.

19. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

After much deliberation, I pulled the trigger and sold the Ferrari this week. It was sad to see her go, but it is strangely liberating to be down to just two cars that are under warranty. :)

1 person likes this.
  20. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I think the Coupe is one of the better looking, if slightly conservative, cars on the market right now. I heard an F-Type v8 howl a bit ago echoing off the NYC buildings and it was something else. Obviously would sound better with the drop top but I'm sure it's not too bad with the coupe windows down.

Oh damn! How long until you get the bug for a 355 replacement? :slayer: