1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior Member

I'd go for the m6 wheels for sure. Keeping that clean stock look.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

Most companies do the bolded, because there aren't many forges out there - of true drop-forges, there are only a handful in the world as they're millions of dollars. They have a bunch of other lesser 'forging' methods nowadays though, like spread-forging, etc.
    BMW OEM wheels are made by BBS, or Ronal, Zender, etc - AC Schnitzer are made by Ronal, and Hamann have always been made by OZ. Hamann even sold the original PG 1 wheel (when they brought out the DTM look with... ahem.... black grille covers) by simply swapping centercaps on O.Z. Futuras, and marking them up.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

Plain white toothpaste will remove denim residue on white leather.

4. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

I think 2008 was the last time I posted a pic of anything on SF, and those were shooz, IIRC. Come to think of it, I don't think I've taken a pic of anything at all since then. The camera on my iPhone is going to waste. :eh:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

5. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

I just got a mailed invitation from The Collection (high end Miami dealership) to attend the launch event/test drive the new Cayman. I do want to check it out but I'm sure I'll get the heavy sales pitch (and I'm afraid I might succumb to it! :laugh:) and get placed on every spam list that they have. trying to figure out if it's worth it

6. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

Its not. You can go test that car anytime and avoid the fanfare.

7. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

Congrats GF! I hope you'll be able to enjoy that car to its fullest.

As for wheels, just remember the origin of the M5 as a sleeper sedan with stealthy performance characteristics, and you'll do OK. That means no ricey anything, and the car should be as anonymous and normal-looking as possible. FWIW, I don't like the M6 wheels either. I think a classic one-piece BBS-style wheel in silver works best with that car. Also, no vanity plates.

8. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior Member

Well I know it pales in comparison to GF's M5, but I picked up a 2003 330i in Steel Grey Metallic over Black interior with Premium and Sport packages and Xenons and 66k on the clock for 10.5 grand. Thanks to everyone who helped, I've had the car for a week now and I've loved driving it every day. Unbelievably balanced, everything I was looking for. Let's hope she hangs around for a while.

[​IMG]

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

Goddamn. Didn't know wheels could get that expensive. I thought $5K would get you some very, very, VERY nice rims. :(

He wasn't necessarily dissing them; he was just saying that there are tires that offer the same level of performance for a lot less money. I think I still have around 15K miles of tread left on them since he said they're good for 30K miles. I'll probably get the Michelin PSSs next :teach:.

And jesus christ! $8K for wheels?! FUCK ME. I am not even remotely considering spending 20% of my car's value on wheels. No. Maybe I'll up the budget to $3K, but at this rate, I'd rather just remove the powdercoat on my stock rims or just trade them for OEM M6 rims.

The more and more I think about it, I think the M5 deserves more understated wheels. Nothing too flashy.

Thanks for the heads up on ADV.1. I always knew they were $$$ but I thought the quality was up to snuff as well. Guess not.

Good stuff. Good thing I don't need winter wheels/tires in Dallas :D.

Best post. Thanks so much. Super informative. Will look into CCW and Forgestar, although at first glance, I'm not liking their designs very much.

lulz.

Good to know, but I don't want to rub toothpaste on my leather seats :(.

Well, what are you waiting for?! At this rate, I don't even believe anymore that you have an S63 AMG. I bet you drive a Fiat 500 :devil:.

You should show up and size up the other people who got invited!

Thanks, A Y! I agree with getting the understated wheels. I did get vanity plates, though :embar: (no douchey message, however).

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

:slayer: The E46 is a beautiful car. I already miss my ZHP so, so, so much. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, too! Is it a M/T?

11. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

that's a great deal for the price and miles, assuming clear title. one of the best colors too

12. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior Member

Yep, clear title. 2 previous owners and never wrecked. I wasn't particularly looking for steel grey, but it's much better in person than in pics, definitely one of my favorite e46 colors. It's a Steptronic unfortunately, gave up on trying to find a manual. I can always borrow my dad's e30 325is when I feel like driving stick [​IMG]

13. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

Nice. Low miles too. Next thing to do is look for some used zhp wheels (because they really do look nice) and mount snows on the stock wheels.

14. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

beige, you should locate Greenfrog's ZHP buyer and tell him he paid $5k too much [​IMG]

15. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

If it's never been done, you might want to consider changing the transmission fluid. If you don't change the original fluid before 100k, you should never ever change it because the transmission won't work right after the change. This is for the automatics. Manuals have different issues.