• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The M5 came with those m6 wheels pretty much everywhere but the US, so I'm used to seeing E60 m5s on those wheels instead of the stock multi spokes. I think the m6 wheels are a good quality look and they're light and lithe looking too. Relatively rare take off wheels like those also keep their value well, as opposed to aftermarket things.

I see. Interesting. I keep wanting to put M6 reps on my car (stock don't fit) but have not gotten around to spending the two grand.

Thanks for all the recs, gents.

So far, I'm liking these BBS RS LMs:

Do you guys think my car could pull it off? Is the gold ricey? Actually.. now that I imagine them in my mind, they look pretty ricey.

I also really like the M6 wheels, so we'll see.

Piob, I did end up ordering another vanity plate, just because I find the standard Texas plates to be ghastly. It's extremely hard to not be douchey with vanity plate messages, so I opted for something simple again -- just my initials and birth month and day.

Anyway, was at the grocery just now and came back to find this car next to mine:

lulz!

Edit: Goddamn iphone, why does it always rotate my pictures?!?!?!

Awesome. I would totally have parked next to you, too. Thank you for parking like a normal person and in a normal space, not crosswise across three spaces like I saw this idiot in a Cayman R do the other day.

Do you not have privacy concerns with giving out a good chunk of your birthdate publicly, everywhere you go?

Gold wheels, esp BBS, are incredibly ricey to me, but then again I am really in the minority/uninformed opinion on these things here.

~ H

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wtf is a "BBS RS LM"? :puzzled:

lol, my bad. I think they're called BBS RSs actually. I don't know jack **** about the different wheel companies :embar:

dude. Not those wheels.

yeah, you're right.

I see. Interesting. I keep wanting to put M6 reps on my car (stock don't fit) but have not gotten around to spending the two grand.

Awesome. I would totally have parked next to you, too. Thank you for parking like a normal person and in a normal space, not crosswise across three spaces like I saw this idiot in a Cayman R do the other day.

Do you not have privacy concerns with giving out  a good chunk of your birthdate publicly, everywhere you go?

Gold wheels, esp BBS, are incredibly ricey to me, but then again I am really in the minority/uninformed opinion on these things here.

~ H

yeah, I hate people who do that too. It's an incredibly douchey, self-important gesture to make. Although, I am going to try to find secluded spots from now on. Huntsman, what car do you drive again? I'm sure I would park next to yours as well :p I believe you have an M coupe?

As for the privacy concerns, none at all, actually. I mean, to any random stranger, it's just a number. Minus the hyphen that I have between my initials and birthdate, it looks like a regular plate number.

And yes, forgoing the BBS!

I think these M6 wheels look pretty sharp:

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let me know your timeline and budget and i'll see if i can help, if you want me to.

the BMW aftermarket industry, as well as the general aftermarket wheel industry, has become a pretty shady place as of late. even the priciest wheels can be made of shoddy materials these days and there are so many flaky vendors that have either sold me a **** product or made a habit of breaking promises. i can tell you who the good guys are, at least in my own experience.

gotta stick with the tried-and-true quality manufacturers and retailers that have a history of standing behind their product, even though they may be pricier. do your research also on wheel sizes, widths, and offsets. the picture of the M5 with Works that horndog posted is a good example of great-looking wheels whose look on the car is ruined because of dodgy offsets.

rubber also matters. i love the people who blow their entire budget on wheels and then put no-name tires on them

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

let me know your timeline and budget and i'll see if i can help, if you want me to.

the BMW aftermarket industry, as well as the general aftermarket wheel industry, has become a pretty shady place as of late. even the priciest wheels can be made of shoddy materials these days and there are so many flaky vendors that have either sold me a **** product or made a habit of breaking promises. i can tell you who the good guys are, at least in my own experience.

gotta stick with the tried-and-true quality manufacturers and retailers that have a history of standing behind their product, even though they may be pricier. do your research also on wheel sizes, widths, and offsets. the picture of the M5 with Works that horndog posted is a good example of great-looking wheels whose look on the car is ruined because of dodgy offsets.

rubber also matters. i love the people who blow their entire budget on wheels and then put no-name tires on them

Thanks for the offer. I've seen a huge variance in prices for wheels, so I'm not too sure what my budget is for now. Kind of hesitant to purchase used ones because.. how can you know they're legitimate? Then again, I don't want to drop $5K on a brand new set of wheels. I'm thinking maybe $2K tops? Not sure what that would get me, but they'd have to be some pretty sweet-looking, high quality wheels, cause right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the M6 wheels. I believe the M6 wheels also have the same width/size/offset as the M5's, so I wouldn't have to buy a brand new set of rubber.

My car currently has PS2s and the PO told me they aren't worth the price -- he suggested hankooks as they're much cheaper and offer the same level of performance (unfortunately, don't recall the specific model he was referring to).

What wheels do you have right now? How much were they? Did you purchase brand new?

I have an old friend who works at ADV.1 and they seem to be a reputable brand.. maybe he can hook me up :devil:.

Yes, those look great.

Yup.

When will you post pics of your stable?!

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
God, I keep finding excuses to drive. Already went out two times today:

1st time: to buy groceries

2nd time: to buy the lightning adapter for my iphone at my apple store ($29 for a piece of plastic? WTF)

3rd time: going to go out now to fill up my car and find some leather cleaner for my steering wheel

Also, I'm a little ticked that I can't wear my jeans in my car.. I picked up a pair of raw denimz last weekend in NYC (finally got to visit blue in green) and I'm scared to death that the indigo will bleed onto my seats. My 3-year-old APCs are at my parents' place back in Mass., so I've resorted to wearing my gym shorts like a bum.

Dammit!

Edit: 67 miles with half a tank = 9.5 MPG :slayer:

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you want to spend $2k'ish and not $5k'ish, then your only choice is to get a set of forged OEM M6's and transfer the PS2's over, and then refurbish your stock M5's once the tires are off. Anything else you'd buy for $2K (i'm assuming that's not including some 'cheap' 20" tires) would be cast and weigh a ton, and almost definitely crack or bend. Problem is, I don't know if one can find M6 wheels for even $2k, they're probably a little more than that.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for the offer. I've seen a huge variance in prices for wheels, so I'm not too sure what my budget is for now. Kind of hesitant to purchase used ones because.. how can you know they're legitimate? Then again, I don't want to drop $5K on a brand new set of wheels. I'm thinking maybe $2K tops? Not sure what that would get me, but they'd have to be some pretty sweet-looking, high quality wheels, cause right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the M6 wheels. I believe the M6 wheels also have the same width/size/offset as the M5's, so I wouldn't have to buy a brand new set of rubber.

My car currently has PS2s and the PO told me they aren't worth the price -- he suggested hankooks as they're much cheaper and offer the same level of performance (unfortunately, don't recall the specific model he was referring to).

What wheels do you have right now? How much were they? Did you purchase brand new?

I have an old friend who works at ADV.1 and they seem to be a reputable brand.. maybe he can hook me up :devil:.

$2K won't get you too far in the aftermarket. your best bet would indeed be those M6's (are they 20-inchers? 19's will look too small for the E60 imo) if you can get them for $2k. or reps - consensus is that VMR's are probably one of the best quality for the money in that game.

your PO doesn't know WTF he's talking about if he's dissing the PS2's...those tires have been the benchmark for a very long time. however, there are some tires that are starting to provide a bit better performance per dollar, like the Hankook V12, which is what i run on the M3. i dunno if they are better than the PS2's in terms of absolute performance, thoughs

of course, Michelin promptly raised the bar even further with the PSS, which is a step forward in every way, not to mention being a bit cheaper than the PS2. i run the PSS's on the Porsche and i wouldn't change them for anything out there right now.

on the BMW i'm running BBS LM 20x9F and 20x11R on the aforementioned Hankook V12. they do retail for about x4 of your stated budget but we can probably knock quite a bit off that price (but not get it down to $2k though :embar: )

ADV.1 has a really bad rep on the BMW forums. in the worst of ways too - bad QC, catastrophic wheel failures, accusations of dishonesty...up to you if you want to take the plunge, but i'd shy away. also, if you think BBS is pricey, ADV.1 is a whole other level. for my money i'd stick with the long-proven brands - BBS, Volk, Rays. since i think the latter two look like complete **** on a European car it was an easy choice for me to stay with BBS. HRE has tempted me too, but they have their stories as well.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run the pilot super sport for summers and I think they are great. I use BBS for my winter rims. I stayed away from HRE because of the problems I've heard.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple things GreenFrog, cause I'm in the same boat as you with my Supra. So many wheel choices are out there and here's my take on a few of the companies that I've researched:

HRE's and ADV1 are *not* worth the price -- these should be left to guys with money to blow. ADV1 in particular seems to spend more resource doing photo shoots with Lambos than they do in R&D. The owner's background is shady as hell too. Word on the street is that the same factory which makes ADV1s does other brands at the same quality for half as much. HRE's seem to be pretty great wheels but I too have heard the occasional horror stories.

More to your point, the most bang for your buck wheels are CCW and Forgestar. I've heard very few bad reviews on either, and CCWs are highly regarded in the Supra community.

Volk's have a stellar reputation for strength and build quality but their designs can be ricey. Also, likely out of your price range. Work seems to be an all around good wheel but again, likely out of your price range.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used, too. Just check your bmw boards for some reputable sellers. Heed the warning of the previous poster re: wheel offsets and sizes. Offset has everything to do with getting a flush fitment with your fender. Also has much to do with lip size. Please avoid the stancenation look!

It's also good to identify a tire you want (although this may be splitting hairs in RL application you can't avoid it in a good car talk). Adding to the above poster, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is, according to user and publication review, the top street tire out there. See more here: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/michelin-pilot-super-sport-page-10

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, I keep finding excuses to drive. Already went out two times today:

1st time: to buy groceries

2nd time: to buy the lightning adapter for my iphone at my apple store ($29 for a piece of plastic? WTF)

3rd time: going to go out now to fill up my car and find some leather cleaner for my steering wheel

Also, I'm a little ticked that I can't wear my jeans in my car.. I picked up a pair of raw denimz last weekend in NYC (finally got to visit blue in green) and I'm scared to death that the indigo will bleed onto my seats. My 3-year-old APCs are at my parents' place back in Mass., so I've resorted to wearing my gym shorts like a bum.

Dammit!

Edit: 67 miles with half a tank = 9.5 MPG
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Put plastic on the seats like your grandmother put in the living room. BAMM!!! Problem solved
laugh3-smiley.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
M6 wheels are fuggs.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks for all the recs, gents.

So far, I'm liking these BBS RS LMs:

Do you guys think my car could pull it off? Is the gold ricey? Actually.. now that I imagine them in my mind, they look pretty ricey.

These are nice... on a Porsche or M3. The M5 is too large and stately for a wheel like this. I've always liked monoblock wheels with a concave face on 5ers.
When the E60 had come out, I dreamt of getting one in Indianapolis Red with these Racing Dynamics wheels, to make an updated version of my old red 540 with BBS's I had in college. Nowadays I don't know how great this wheel design is, but it's not bad. I've always liked Racing Dynamics, as they were a kind of offbeat BMW tuner who did crazier things than the Germans (318Ti compact body with V12 swap, for example) and they kept a clean aesthetic with their wheels and aero for the most part.

JuyLe

Reaction score
I'd go for the m6 wheels for sure. Keeping that clean stock look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics