Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I saw plenty MB taxis in the Orchard Road area of Singapore

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

Turbo lag is awesomesauce! There's nothing like burying your right foot into the carpet and a second or two later having your internal organs shifted rearward. I can't even imagine owning a na car now.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

would one drive differently on a track with a turbo? As in, "I would wreck immediately if I did full power now. But I need full power coming out of this corner in just a moment, and it will take a tad more than a moment to get full power, so i'm going to lay on the gas pedal now, and by the time the turbos kick in, i should be nicely sorted out"

4. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

It seems like keeping the transmission in a lower gear, thus the power band, would be a much better strategy than trying to account for turbo lag.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

It's a bit more subtle than that because of two things: turbo lag as we know it today and weight transfer due to acceleration. Turbo lag is pretty mild these days, so it's not quite as dramatic as the old days when all of the power would come on at once. In the old days, you'd use a combination of the brake and gas pedals at the same time to keep the turbos spooled up while controlling your speed.

But the weight transfer (car leans back when you press the gas pedal) also affects your answer. If you are driving a corner near the limits of your tires and suspension, very little weight transfer can easily affect the attitude of your car. For example, you could be right at the edge of understeer with your front tires just barely hanging on so the car isn't plowing. If you press the gas pedal more, the front end of the car will lose some weight and put you into understeer. So you can't just mash the gas pedal even if you have turbo lag without affecting something else the car may be doing.

6. username79

username79 Senior member

@ BMW Welt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

^you're there right now? you must have gotten one of the last allocations of the E9x M3

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

9. username79

username79 Senior member

I did. And I managed to get ED invoice pricing (which is supposedly dead and gone on M cars) and locked in holiday cash AND loyalty. This car and deal makes me happy on many levels.

10. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

[​IMG]

sike. Veddy veddy noice!!!

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Thanks, all.

The car I'm looking at is a 2008 with CPO warranty until June of 2014 and has 42K miles.

Interlagos Blue with extended silverstone metallic interior and SMG; it has every single option that was available in 2008.

It has a Dinan exhaust that the first owner installed, Eibach springs and the current owner powdercoated the stock rims and replaced the grill for a gloss black one. Reflectors are color matched as well. To be honest, I'm a little hesitant about the rims, but I'll have to see them in-person.

Owned by another BMW enthusiast who has an E36 M3, a Nissan GTR, and he's getting an X5M for his pregnant wife.

I'm also scheduled to test drive a 6-speed Thursday afternoon just for comparison's sake, but I'm flying to Oklahoma on Friday after work to check this bad boy out.

Here's the autotrader link to the car:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=IOSEMLVDP&searchRadius=0&listingId=340621395

SUPER EXCITED AHHHH COULD BE DRIVING THIS BACK HOME AS SOON AS THIS FRIDAY!

There's also a guy who's offering me $15K for my ZHP and I purchased the car for $16K two years ago, lulz.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Good thing you got a cult car. ;)

Good luck with the purchase. Interlagos Blue is my 2nd favorite blue after Le Mans Blue, which was the E39 M5's special blue.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Son, now I am disappoint. I thought you were never selling this car? :roma:

14. dah328

dah328 Senior member

You still thinking about moving to NYC? This is not the kind of automobile purchase you want to make before moving there.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

like everything about that car except for The Interlagos exterior. so I guess AY and I cancel each other out. you sure I couldn't tempt you to go E90 M3? :devil:

PPI it brotha - I know you're excited and the CPO is a nice security blanket, but do your homework still!