Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

1) New 2013 Civic is much better than the prior version
    2) Elantra is nice
    3) Focus depreciates like hell though recent models have been holding up due to fuel savings
    4) Altima is significantly nicer than the Sentra
    5) Honda Fit Sport (?)

I personally drive a Toyota Yaris sedan around NYC and wished that I spent the extra coin for Fit though my car has already taken a beating in 2 years (cracked grill, door dings, multiple scrapes on front and rear bumper). You cannot drive a car in the five boroughs for more than 5 yrs without it turning into shit.

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Did you buy it new?

My sister has driven a 2002 Kia Rio in NYC for the last 7 years. The car is a REAL piece of crap. Probably worth a grand total of $500 with only 80k miles on it. All the wheel covers are missing. Bumpers cracked many times. Almost every panel has dents and dings. AC and CD player no longer work...

Upsides are that it's really small, nimble, easy to park, great on gas, and you really don't care if someone bumps into it (or if you bump into something else).

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

FTFY.

I would also add that you should tip your parking attendants well too.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Exhaust note is fantastic.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Wow, that show is like TopGear before they turned into rubbish. I've just enjoyed watching the new Exige episode also.

Cayman, though, I always thought it was a beautiful car, and they've gone and made it even more beautiful.

~ H

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yup, it's one of my favorite YouTube channels. They have multiple journalists, but Chris Harris is by far my favorite (and he's the most popular).

There's also a comparison of the SL63 AMG vs. the M6 GC -- I think I might have posted that a while back.

As for the Cayman.. I actually don't like how it looks.. particularly the rear-end.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

But why?

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Why not? :p

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Why compare a 4 door to a 2 seater cab?

Did a quick google and the test is actually M6 Coupe vs. SL63

10. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Thanks to all who chimed in about small cars. I've been doing a lot of online research and I've discovered that they all pretty much suck. So I think we'll be looking in another direction.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Driving a new 2013 Altima right now as a rental.

It's not too different from the previous one but there are some noticeable updates. I don't quite recall the weight of the old one, but the steering on this one is a bit light which isn't the greatest. Wider stance so it feels a little more planted. The interior is definitely a notch up in scale from the prior gen. Quieter too. The engine definitely can boogie when you want to and the CVT does a decent job of delivering it quickly. Looks great; I drove my co-workers to lunch since the company pays for the rental's gas, and they all really liked the looks.

Really not bad for the money if you're looking to buy new.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  12. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

The Altima is one of the "other directions" we've been looking at. I'm a bit skittish about buying the first year of a mechanical redesign after dealing with our '10 Santa Fe's transmission. Hyundai decided to start building there own 6-speed slushboxes and, yeah, you know where this is going. I've been reading online reviews about the '13 Altima and apparently they're using a new version of the CVT which has been less than reliable. The last thing I need is two cars with brittle trannsmissions.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

If all goes to plan, I will be in an m5 this Sunday!

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

you mean owning it? :fistbump:

I read the edmunds "first ride" of the CLA AMG. they are saying 355hp/26 psi of boost , but without sacrificing refinement. this I have to see. the article seems to indicate turbo lag under 1800 rpm, which is not unexpected obviously, but that's what bugs me about turbo cars

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/cla-class/2014/road-test1.html

15. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

My impression is that because of CAFE regulations all future high-performance engines are pretty much going to be turbo.