1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I understand where you're coming from but this blanket statement is too simplistic of a view to apply to every car with such miles.

BMWs can obviously cost an arm and leg for repairs and maintenance, but a properly cared-for bmw will be extremely reliable.

The fact of the matter is that most people neglect their cars; even "enthusiasts."

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i know this topic comes around every hundred pages, but i will finance anything if my opportunity cost of capital is higher than the cost of the loan. over the last 10 years the highest interest rate on a car note i've paid was about 5%. i know i can do better investing that money.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

+1

Financing is a very smart move with today's interest rates.

I financed my zhp and it was only 16 grand at the time but my returns in the stock market greatly surpassed my interest rate of 2.99 at the time.

Most people use financing as a tool to purchase shit they can't afford, but it's an absolutely invaluable tool one can use to their advantage.

4. otc

otc Senior member

You found @L'Incandescent 's pedo-van!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

So much awesome stuff in here. Monteverdi anybody? Interior shots so confirmed why I lust for an Espada (Take three friends out for dinner in fucking style) or a S1 Esprit. Only green plaid interior, please (And yellow outside). Underappreciated Bertone and Giugiaro high points (And cheap cars. $90k for a BMW? No, sir, I take the Lambo, please).

Do you have info on the 2 door Merc 600 special?

Mike

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. Viral

Viral Senior member

90K was the mileage, not the price.

7. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Apparently there were two factory 600 coupes built, and a third converted from a SWB by the pre eminent 600 restorer Karl Middelhauve.

And they don't have to be amputees. It's an actual four seater. Obviously a lot of money was spent restoring the interior (and the rest of the car too probably), but the Espada is a whole lot of sweet, sweet automobile for not a lot of money.

S1 decked out in it's plaid interior.....again, a whole lot of fun for essentially beer money.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Love the 600 coupe. Yes, I'm a 80's despot, but a very rakish one thank you

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  10. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Hey already have four control knobs in the four-door cars. I'm not sure that the location changing is all that big of a risk.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

A friend of mine traded in his B7 RS4 for an e90 M3, both 6MT. He's enjoying it immensely so far and hasn't missed the Quattro yet, despite the rainy/slushy weather. He's running on Conti DWS ExtremeContact on the M3 but hasn't tried it in actual snow yet.

He's said the better balance and grip offered is immediately noticed and prefers the engine characteristics and intake/exhaust note as well. Quite smitten. I really like the look of the LeMans Blue with Tan interior on the e90 as well.

12. jet

jet Senior member

would take rs4 instead

1 person likes this.
  13. horndog

horndog Senior member

Yeah, no. I get a 1.99% interest rate on auto loans through my credit union, so I will finance as much as I possibly can. It's free money at that rate.

I'm looking for a daily that's engaging and has some thrill to it, and so I don't mind a pay-to-play model. My weekend is a 95 TT Supra so I'm used to it. My main concern (and not with BMWs specifically) is buying something whose engine, transmission, something major, is prone to catastrophic failure, and I'm stuck with a $4k bill a few months into ownership. The E46 seems more of the nickel and dime type.

Anyway, thanks for the input GF and dah. I'm not set on the 330ci ZHP but it does have: good looks, two doors, four seats, RWD, MT, 220+ hp, quality feel, and is relatively affordable. Not a lot out there that also meets that criteria. The RX-8 is close but reportedly presents a cacophony of risks (and anemic low-end torque).

14. horndog

horndog Senior member

Also, the next decade is shaping up to be one of the most exciting in recent sports car history. From Detroit:

Toyota FT-1 Concept. Mark my words, the production version is the Supra successor. Powertrain predictions range from a mutated version of the LFA V10 to a hybrid twin turbo 4L inline 6.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corvette C7 Z06. Gorgeous and brutal at 620+hp/tq from the factory. Should break most production car lap records.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Hopefully Toyota doesn't fuck it up. Looks very promising. Z06 looks great as well.

16. horndog

horndog Senior member

The good news is that the LFA and FR-S were both pretty damn close to their concepts. Lexus took their gloves off with the new RC-F and hopefully that means they stay off with the FT-1 production model.

Comparatively though, I don't see anything on the horizon beating the new C7 z06. Also, both the the FT-1 and z06 make the new NSX look totally forgettable.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm just glad that Lexus launched a performance vehicle with a V8.

NA FTW!

18. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

What's the lowest-priced Z06 going for?

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Is not the salt a concern? My cars are benched and it is killing me with these random warm days.

20. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

that FT-1 looks bizarre. Not knocking it though, its nice that its such a departure from the norm.