• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This CLA is going to sell like hotcakes

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
want to see it in person first. there's a good chance it ends up being a cheap ass "luxury car" like the C230 or the 318ti and only appeals to the people who just want to say they drive a Mercedes

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

want to see it in person first. there's a good chance it ends up being a cheap ass "luxury car" like the C230 or the 318ti and only appeals to the people who just want to say they drive a Mercedes

Ruining the brand.

31k I would get a Toyota FJ. Solid, dependable SUV .

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are they pricing it at?

Decent looking car, IMO.

The A class already ruined the brand, not to mention the Daimler Chrysler years.

henrikc

Reaction score
I think it's going to be a bigger hit in Europe. We have a much stronger culture for small cars, and the CLA is pretty decently priced. The new A-class will probably also be a huge success, mostly because of its looks.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! I hadn't really thought about the Altima, as some family members of mine had bought one a few years back and I wasn't impressed. Did a little digging and it turns out they redesigned it last year, and it's getting rave reviews, and it would fit in the budget. I'm not a huge fan of VW's. I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. I had a Jetta as a rental a couple years back and it reminded me of a Ford Taurus. Just...bleh. Maybe they've redesigned them too?

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love for the US to get the Mercedes B-class. I fell in love on a recent trip to Europe and would buy one if they ever came this side of the pond.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the suggestions! I hadn't really thought about the Altima, as some family members of mine had bought one a few years back and I wasn't impressed. Did a little digging and it turns out they redesigned it last year, and it's getting rave reviews, and it would fit in the budget. I'm not a huge fan of VW's. I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. I had a Jetta as a rental a couple years back and it reminded me of a Ford Taurus. Just...bleh. Maybe they've redesigned them too?

The current Jetta/Passat redesigns are now more mundane looking- but also significantly less expensive.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ruining the brand.

31k I would get a Toyota FJ. Solid, dependable SUV .

What are they pricing it at?

Decent looking car, IMO.

The A class already ruined the brand, not to mention the Daimler Chrysler years.

I never understood that "ruining the brand" comment. Mercedes makes a variety of vehicles from big azz haulers, buses, dump trucks taxis, and even lorries but y'all are alleging that a $30,000 (and that is a stripper car) car somehow ruins the brand? That is akin to saying a 3 series "ruins" BMW's reputation or an A4 is not a real Audi. Last time I checked the C class price overlap with the E class was about the same as the 3 series and 5 series overlap: significant. (sidenote: I also think MB fucked up by not offering the W204 C350 in a stick shift like they did with the W203 C350)

I think it's going to be a bigger hit in Europe. We have a much stronger culture for small cars, and the CLA is pretty decently priced. The new A-class will probably also be a huge success, mostly because of its looks.

Smaller cars are becoming more and more popular in metropolitan areas in the US. This is a phenomenon that I never would have predicted.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I agree "ruining the brand" is too strong - within the US Mercedes has a far-narrower definition. We don't have the widespread use of a-segments, utilitarian etc... the TV ads to this day still portray Mercedes as the expensive muscle car of the expensive cars... breaking chains, paint pealing, smoking tires.

Both their and BMW's old tries at cheaper entry level were failures and they did harm with the luxe images that had been crafted here in the past.
Keep in mind, threaks like this, however, are mostly fanbois and they're going to scream more than most. Folks interested in improved coilovers don't generally like being associated with hybrid-electric wind-up toys from Merc.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I never understood that "ruining the brand" comment.  Mercedes makes a variety of vehicles from big azz haulers, buses, dump trucks taxis, and even lorries but y'all are alleging that a $30,000 (and that is a stripper car) car somehow ruins the brand?  That is akin to saying a 3 series "ruins" BMW's reputation or an A4 is not a real Audi.  Last time I checked the C class price overlap with the E class was about the same as the 3 series and 5 series overlap: significant.  (sidenote: I also think MB fucked up by not offering the W204 C350 in a stick shift like they did with the W203 C350)

Let me rephrase then: ruins what I want out of the brand. I want an experience commiserate with what I pay to drive my GL. This means I do not want to be around the average person that drives a 30-35k "luxury" car. Horrible on my part? Sure. What I want for my $$? Yup. I do not look at Touaregs, even though by all metrics they seem to be a fine SUV, because I do not want to hang out with several classes of VW drivers. I'm old and grouchy, in a rush during my business day, and just want to get in and out.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me rephrase then: ruins what I want out of the brand. I want an experience commiserate with what I pay to drive my GL. This means I do not want to be around the average person that drives a 30-35k "luxury" car. Horrible on my part? Sure. What I want for my $$? Yup. I do not look at Touaregs, even though by all metrics they seem to be a fine SUV, because I do not want to hang out with several classes of VW drivers. I'm old and grouchy, in a rush during my business day, and just want to get in and out.

Unless you are simply talking about the experience when taking the car to the dealer for work, how often do you really have to fraternize with people who buy the same brand of vehicle as you?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yes, my comment was more for the US market. as Cary says, MB is a very aspirational brand over here....so obviously if this thing is not up to their standard they will erode that brand status. they are already heavily marketing the CLA over here so clearly they intend big things for it here. i'm keeping an open mind (and making a beeline for the AMG once it comes out)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also - signed up for the Audi Driving Experience.

a complimentary event where i get to flog R8, TTRS, R5, S8, S6, S4 around PBIR for four hours??

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I agree "ruining the brand" is too strong - within the US Mercedes has a far-narrower definition. We don't have the widespread use of a-segments, utilitarian etc... the TV ads to this day still portray Mercedes as the expensive muscle car of the expensive cars... breaking chains, paint pealing, smoking tires.

Both their and BMW's old tries at cheaper entry level were failures and they did harm with the luxe images that had been crafted here in the past.
Keep in mind, threaks like this, however, are mostly fanbois and they're going to scream more than most. Folks interested in improved coilovers don't generally like being associated with hybrid-electric wind-up toys from Merc.

That is where you might be wrong. While sales of the the 318ti hatchback in the US sucked, that was more due to the itty bitty 4 cyl engine that it was stuck with. GTIs and hell even Civics stomped that poor thing. BMW's 1 Series, while scoffed at by some when introduced is actually a success. BMW learned their lesson and put a proper engine in that car

Laugh at the C class but it is the most successful car MB sells. And if I am not mistaken, the new CLA is below the C class on the MB totem.

laugh3-smiley.gif

You're right. I know that I could give a flying **** about "lux" as I lean more towards the sporting side of cars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads