• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I haven't had a newer 5, or even a BMW in awhile , but if it was 3 Xi wagon vs six cyl 5, I can't think of much on the 5 that would cost much more than the equivalent part on the 3, apart from maybe the rear suspension on the 5's that have typically been air self-leveling (not sure if they still have that anymore anyway) They have mostly the same drivetrains. A 535Xi vs a 328Xi might be a bit more because of the twin turbo system, but they're basically the same mechanically and just a little bigger in the wrapper. Sometimes 5er's have lower insurance rates than the 3er in the US because of the driver group that tends to flock towards the 3er. I had that 540i in college and it was cheaper to insure than a Civic - I know for sure because I had a Civic previous to the BMW and just transferred the same coverage plan over.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad was in the same boat and just wanted a cheap enough used BMW or Audi wagon recently (has had them before, we always had Volvos in our family but I think he got over them sometime in the 90's and we haven't had a Ford-era Volvo) - anyway, those wagons are incredibly scarce. The few that exist in America are either out on the west coast, the northeast, or are ex-lease cars that get herded into for-ebay clearinghouse dealers that are typically in Missouri or Texas, or similar states (low taxes and cheap land for dealerships like that)
He waited quite awhile and ended up getting a 328Xi wagon. Wish he would've listened to me and bought a 535Xi wagon; they're a little expensive still but I think he overpaid for the 3 (as most people do) and the 5 is so much more car.

?????

Last edited:

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we are discussing BMW's: had a minor collision that is my fault so now need a new front bumper. Thank god the e34's have such a long front lip bumper or I would be sinking more.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the M Coupe out for the first time this season now that the salt is off the road. Some W210 E55 AMG kept trying to get me to tangle with him. I was like, dude, I just filled out a couple of bar exam applications this week and you have *no idea* how uninterested I am in ******* any of that up.

Clearly, no way to convey that sentiment.

~H

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The wagons for the US were the 328Xi and the 535Xi... the 328Xi's come pretty stripped, almost all of them I've seen were on 16"s with no iDrive, and optioned with Premium and maybe cold weather, have the 328-sized brakes, I think that's what my dad bought and I was kind of disappointed to hear, as the 535Xi's I've seen have come with more features and I'm pretty sure the 535 would be a better drive than the 328. 3ers are overpriced in the market and 5ers tank after a few years; you can find the 535 wagon pretty near the price of the 328 wagon, if you can ever find them. Right now there's a 2007 328XiT on ebay with a BIN of $20K and 80k miles, and there's a 2009 535XiT for $22.3K BIN - I know which one I'd want if I had to choose.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since we are discussing BMW's: had a minor collision that is my fault so now need a new front bumper. Thank god the e34's have such a long front lip bumper or I would be sinking more.

Which E34? That has to be my favorite BMW design of all time.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get this either. The main reason I didn't go from 3 to 5 is that there isn't much more to it. Same engines (save the V8) and a wee bit (if that) more interior space. I do like the double moonroof feature of the 5 wagons, tho.

So I'm not crazy. Going to a 5 you basically gain trunk space but give up speed & flickability due to increased weight & size. And the price overlap between both cars is quite large as well.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wagons for the US were the 328Xi and the 535Xi... the 328Xi's come pretty stripped, almost all of them I've seen were on 16"s with no iDrive, and optioned with Premium and maybe cold weather, have the 328-sized brakes, I think that's what my dad bought and I was kind of disappointed to hear, as the 535Xi's I've seen have come with more features and I'm pretty sure the 535 would be a better drive than the 328. 3ers are overpriced in the market and 5ers tank after a few years; you can find the 535 wagon pretty near the price of the 328 wagon, if you can ever find them. Right now there's a 2007 328XiT on ebay with a BIN of $20K and 80k miles, and there's a 2009 535XiT for $22.3K BIN - I know which one I'd want if I had to choose.

The thing is most people who buy station wagons are not going to trade them in every couple of years - they hold on to them, hence less of them on the used market.

Of course the 328 would have 328 sized brakes. I don't understand what you are trying to get at since you are comparing apples to oranges

There is a reason that the 3 series is BMW's best selling model and also keep their value the most (non M cars). Plus 3ers will run circles around 5ers.

If you want larger wheels they can just be swapped out (if you are buying from a dealership that is). If not used wheels are easy to find. I saw an e90 with e46 zhp wheels yesterday and it looked veddy veddy nice.

Last edited:

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which E34? That has to be my favorite BMW design of all time.
a white 525. Never posted the pictures requested a while back
This is it:

Just imagine the bumper fucked on the right hand side.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't had a newer 5, or even a BMW in awhile , but if it was 3 Xi wagon vs six cyl 5, I can't think of much on the 5 that would cost much more than the equivalent part on the 3, apart from maybe the rear suspension on the 5's that have typically been air self-leveling (not sure if they still have that anymore anyway) They have mostly the same drivetrains. A 535Xi vs a 328Xi might be a bit more because of the twin turbo system, but they're basically the same mechanically and just a little bigger in the wrapper. Sometimes 5er's have lower insurance rates than the 3er in the US because of the driver group that tends to flock towards the 3er. I had that 540i in college and it was cheaper to insure than a Civic - I know for sure because I had a Civic previous to the BMW and just transferred the same coverage plan over.

Even without the self-leveling system, the suspensions on the 3 and 5-series cars are significantly different with the parts for the 5-series costing more. In other words, maintenance costs on the 5-series are higher.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spotted a Porsche 904 this morning in Santa Barbara. There are perhaps a little over 100 examples of this car in the world.

The owner was transporting his very elderly father (it was kind of funny to hear him tell his dad how to strap himself in with the harnesses), and I didn't want to hold them up by asking a lot of questions. Does anyone know which 904 this is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads