1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jet

jet Senior member

So it's cars we drive and cars we sold now huh?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

How about cars we want to buy.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Or simply, The Cars Thread.

Let's broaden the scope for our stakeholders (us).

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's a good movie, I like the tow truck. :embar:

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Is it just my experience or do other people agree 99.9% of Mustang drivers are going to be going at least 10 mph under the speed limit and accelerate like a 90 year old using a walker going uphill?

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Check your privilege, brah.

7. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Around here, you just described Corvette drivers.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Them too. Doubly slow if a convertible Vette.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

around these parts, people buy Mustangs so they can put straight pipes on them and just rumble around town.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Another example of why Neil Peart is the man.

http://www.neilpeart.net/index.php/space-for-news-items/november-2013-angels-landing/

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Just when everyone had forgotten how Canadian you are, you drop some Neil Peart praise.

:rimshot:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  13. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Fuck. I need the estimable forvm's help.

I made the mistake of taking my 2007 328xi coupe to the dealer to have new tires put on. $1200, bullshit. He claims he only marks each tire up $10 and the alignment is free.

They're also telling me I have "hairline cracks" in 3 of my rims (they haven't looked at the 4th yet). $400 per rim.

And a $700 oil leak.

Sounds like a load of shit to me but anyways, here I am. One tire is completely done so to even drive it off the premises I'm in for the $1200.

Unless I trade in. Default choice for me is a 428xi.

Is this thing a decent vehicle? Worth looking into? Or should I be looking at Audi? Other suggestions in this class?

I hate having to knuckle under and go automatic, grrrrr, but it's all they have on the lot.

14. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I've heard great things, but I would want a manual transmission in that thing. That said, give it a try - you may like it.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

$1200 is not unreasonable if you are going OEM (Michelin or Continental), especially if you have the 18" wheels. if you're willing to go with something like Hankook - the current performance for value champ - you can probably get it down to $600-700.

the hairline crack stuff does sound like a load of shit.

do you actually want a new car, or are you just frustrated with the expense?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  16. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

$300 a tire? That's a bit rich if you aren't running 18s or 19s. Discount Tire Direct has Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS runflats for $141 each for 16s and $187 for 17s. Hairine cracks? If they aren't leaking air don't worry about them. And a $700 oil leak? WTF? Sounds like you need to find an indie BMW mechanic pronto. If you think you are going to get rid of it you should throw some used non-runflat tires on it for 40 bucks a wheel

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Douglas, you're getting the runaround at $1,200 for four tires, even if all of them are 18s. Not sure if you have a staggered setup, but I run on 18s with fatass tires (255 / 285) and michelin PSSs (ultra high performance summer tires) would have cost me slightly north of $1.2K.

I bet your guy is slapping on run flats and up charging you by a very significant margin.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

wait, I forgot that the 3-series uses run flats. disregard my Hankook recommendation. if you're getting OEM run flats, $1200 is a decent (not great) price OTD with mounting, balancing, alignment and tax

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Spoke with a guy the other day, who's thinking about getting the new RS6 on Danish tags price 540k$.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013