1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. David23

David23 Well-Known Member

One of the better sounding cars under $100K.

It's just too bad about the pricing. In the M3 range would have made more sense.

The reported coupe version is awesome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Are the F-Type and M3 really aimed at the same audience? BMW has made it incredibly hard if not impossible for any company making boxes with 4 wheels to take the M3's crown in that domain.

Other cars where I feel the company has a dominant position and though some may argue, hasn't been toppled from their lofty spot in America: Hot Hatch: VW GTI, Little Roadster: Mazda MX5.

I am a bit biased as I own a GTI but i'll be damned if I haven't had a smile on my face when I look at my '12 GTI. My favorite time is when I load it up with lumber and all sorts of things at the Lowe's/Home Depot and drive off without issue.

3. David23

The F-Type's aimed at the same audience looking at 911 Cab's. Whether that was Jaguar's goal or not the $92K price tag puts it there. A 911 Cab starts at $96K. At those prices I would have a hard time not going with the 911 Cab.

If they started at around $83K base would have made more sense to me. That pricing is a little more than a fully loaded M3 convertible.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The way I optioned mine, it costs around $106K. At first I thought it was way too expensive and Jaguar made a serious pricing error, but I think it's just about right, now that I think about it. It's not meant to compete with the M3. The supercharger is also a huge plus. That coupe version looks amazing -- I want, but in BRG.

5. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Who the hell wants a base 911? At very least I want PSE.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

new 228i is actually not so bad. I wouldn't want one, but it's a) a lot better looking than the 1er coupe, and b) $31,500 base, 240hp, 0-60 in 5.4s.... which is what the E36 M3 did, in $34,995 worth of 1994 dollars...

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

8. jet

jet Senior member

you don't need all those "superfluous" options it's a cayman not a cayenne

9. Superfluous

I think leasing almost never works in your favor. The only time I see it being advantageous is if you wreck your car (loss of value), the value plummets like a rock, or the car has so many pricey options that you wouldn't recover the cost of on resale.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  10. Superfluous

I don't think you realize how basic the car is without the options.

11. jet

jet Senior member

So why don't you list your must have options?

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

I just looked at the Monroney for my gen 1 Cayman, and I got $5920 in options. Porsche is notorious for its extensive and expensive options, but the actual car isn't really that bare, especially for a sports car. Here are my options:

- full leather interior (most expensive at $2095)
    - self-dimming mirrors & rain sensor
    - bi-xenon headlights
    - leather sport seats
    - 3-spoke sports steering wheel
    - sound package plus
    - automatic climate control
    - floor mats

Just for the heck of it, I configured a current Cayman S, and my options came to around $8800, mostly because they offer some performance options (PTV and sport suspension) that they didn't in gen 1, and a couple of the options are more expensive.

13. suited

suited Senior member

I loved my Z28 in high school, but have no experience with, and haven't even sat in, anything newer than a '93. My first car was a '91 RS, though I very much wanted the Z28 we test drove, but my father thought I would kill myself in it. It wasn't until 2 years later I finally bought one. It came with a borla exhaust and a few other bolt-ons - it sounded amazing. Driving that thing down country roads in the autumn when I was 18 will probably be the best experience I'll ever have behind the wheel of a car. The new Z28 is fast as shit. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...camaro-z28-has-good-fast-time-at-nurburgring/
    Edit - did not see this a few pages back. Oh well.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The 1 series coupe has really grown on me the last couple of years especially the 135i, so the new 2 series should be interesting.

15. David23

Love everything except for the rear end.

[​IMG]

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Nurburgring is the new 0-60 for bragging rights benchmarks. Since we're talking about camaros, I looked up the time of the SS that I hate so much. Pretty respectable, actually.

Unnecessarily heavy and large, didn't like how it transitions weight, shitty brake feel, garbage steering, and it still edges an e46 m3 around the ring.

So once again, objective criteria are not always the whole story. I guess the flip side of that argument is that Camaros are a great performance bargain if you don't need refinement (or poor steering and visibility, or if you don't mind trim pieces popping off while cornering)

17. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I completely agree. I need to go back and find piob's argument, I am interested to hear it.

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I was free upgraded once into renting one. What a piece of shit. Steering like a 70's Lincoln, awful futurist interior, I felt like a tool driving around in it.

19. Superfluous

Metallic color
    Colored wheel crest
    Leather interior two-tone. (this is with only 2 way seats, if I selected a real seat, it would bump up the price another 2500+)
    Infotainment package
    Convenience package
    Xenon headlights
    Parkassist (got it on my new car and it's awesome)
    PDK (infinitely better than manual)
    Power steering plus (tested one with and without, and it needs it I think)
    Sport chrono package (makes a huge difference, tested one with and without)
    Multifunction steering wheel

$82,435

Then if I configured it similar to the car I actually got, it was up to $91,205.

This is all starting off a $63,800 base price for the Cayman S.

20. jet

jet Senior member

oh ok I gotcha, thought you were looking for a sports car not a luxury car

1 person likes this.