Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Nice car, but f*ck, that is one awful color, was it the last one on the lot?

[​IMG] Are you trolling bawlin style? I hope so [​IMG]

I like my color. I think it's the best color for my car, and also just works for me. I want a no-nonsense, straightforward car and this color worked well for me. If I had gone with an M3 or at least a 335i I might have gone with a flashier color, but this was just the right kind of businesslike for a 328xi, I thought.

2. Dburr

Dburr Senior member

Bawlin screwed up like Tiger did. Now he's apoligized (sort of), perhaps he's learned something. Thank you Piobaire for your usual insightful comments.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

[​IMG] Are you trolling bawlin style? I hope so [​IMG]

I like my color. I think it's the best color for my car, and also just works for me. I want a no-nonsense, straightforward car and this color worked well for me. If I had gone with an M3 or at least a 335i I might have gone with a flashier color, but this was just the right kind of businesslike for a 328xi, I thought.

lol, the color is fine, I was trolling bawlin style.. What happened to it?

4. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

I went from Space Gray (ordered, my top choice) to Silverstone (on the lot, maybe my 6th choice) but have actually come to like the color a lot. [​IMG]

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I was never insulting the OP's car.
    [​IMG]

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I went from Space Gray (ordered, my top choice) to Silverstone (on the lot, maybe my 6th choice) but have actually come to like the color a lot. [​IMG]

Good for you.. [​IMG]

Srsly, the thing I like about the color is that between night and day, it takes on a very subtle shift in color given the different lighting.

7. doubleb

doubleb Well-Known Member

There's nothing hostile about my comment, and it's very valid. The '99 Carrera is nothing special and more than capable in the snow (as are all AWD Porsches) so I'm just trying to wrap my head around why he would store it for the winter. He stated it's because he doesn't trust other drivers and that's a valid reason.

Definitely no Porsche envy here. Well at least not that particular Porsche. The 1999 996 is arguably one of the least desirable Porsches ever built.

This is more along the lines of my kind of Porsche:

[​IMG]

That car is in Quebec. Almost bought it (33K Canadian) actually, but didn't want to deal with the rebuilt head and the other randomness of the sellers ad. A 993 is certainly one of the more desirable 911's

1) I reiterate that there is nothing special about a 1999 C4. Perhaps if this was a 964 RS America, or a GT3 or something like that, I could understand storing it as those are special cars that do not deserve to be subjected to road salt etc (lets ignore the fact that they're RWD for a second). At the moment, there's 27 1999 Carreras for sale on eBay right now. Lord knows how many more on AutoTrader. If the OP was to total his vehicle (god forbid), it would be easily replaceable. This is what I mean by 'nothing special'. This isn't a putdown by any means. There's 24 of my car in the same model year on eBay right now.

2) I only stated I have no envy for this car because someone suggested that I do. I'm not a brand-snob so I could care less if it has the People's State of Wurttemberg coat of arms on the hood. Same goes for a roundel, prancing horse, etc.

3) If anyone would like to dispute that the 1999 Carrera is one of the least desirable Porsches ever built, by all means present your argument. I do know, however, that this sentiment is shared by the majority of Porsche enthusiasts. Same goes for the late-70's/early-90's Targa (which I love!).

4) Yes, I do have to ask why someone would keep an AWD car as a summer vehicle. Doesn't make sense to me. Again, these cars are awesome in the snow so I just wanted to know the logic behind keeping it garaged in the winter.

[​IMG]

In fact the vehicle is a 2001 C4. I would state that a 1999 Carrera is in fact more desirable than say a 2000 or 2001 as they came stock with a LSD and they are not Drive-by-wire.

I store this car for reasons already stated. One cares more about things that are their own as opposed to something that isn't. Yes I could easily replace this car should anything happen to it, however why go through the trouble and hassle?

Either you are merely trying to wriggle, or you have a genuine difficulty with understanding how to disagree in a tactful manner. Such an ability is useful in life.

You are confusing 'special' with ease of availability on the market. I have a summer car that sells for less than that C4 that I would not subject to salt and risk in the winter because it's my car. This is pretty patent to any car buff, and I doubt your ignorance of it. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't consider spending 18k to replace a car easy. Nor would I consider spending whatever fraction of that insurance I would have to pay after insurance gave me some paltry BB sum to repurchase a car "easy." Further, a new C4 would not be his car. It would be another car. This is not so easily replaced, nor quantified. Again, as a car buff I doubt if you are unaware that people have a special allegiance to their car, that is over and above their allegiance to a particular model.

I didn't speak to why you stated your lack of envy, only how you couched it, and you did so in a specific manner that was not as function of the brand, as you proposition above, but was a specific put down of the car.

I know nothing about Porsches. But the market desirability of a vehicle has nothing to do with someone's regard for their car. For heaven's sake some people loved Edsels. And Pontiac Aztecs. And just about every other 'ugly' or 'undesirable' car in existence -- most of which have so little to reccommend them when compared to a Porsche, any Porsche, that the comparison alone is ridiculous.

But you, you did not say, as you purport above, "what exactly is so bad about driving an AWD Porsche in the winter?" What you actually said was:

Not "what is so bad about driving and AWD Porsche in the winter", but "what exactly is so bad about driving an $18k Porsche in the winter?" You are directly diminishing the worth of the car to its owner by implying that its market value is so low that there is no reason to act to preserve it from winter conditions -- as you again claim above (with another insult in your own defense that you are not being insulting), that there is no reason to not let it be subjected to road salt. That is a direct put down. It was certainly rude, completely tactless, and I won't argue with hostile.

You remind me of those smug wannabe punk kids who wore apparel emblazoned with FCUK that there was no insult, and that they were only representing a brand they like, that was really "French Connection U.K.," and that anybody who thought otherwise was either uninformed or had a problem with them, despite the brands advertising that capitalized on the similarity to FUCK.

There are some who treat their cars as something special and enjoy the drive and the engineering feats that go into a car , while others use them purely for the functionality of going from point A to point B. I fall into the former and always have. It's possible that the poster falls into the latter category.

In fact, isn't this why a lot of us are on this board? Because we enjoy the specialness and sartorial nature of clothing? Everyone knows that there are people who enjoy clothing for these reasons, while others just wear whatever doesn't smell bad.

To each their own. [​IMG]

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

In fact the vehicle is a 2001 C4. I would state that a 1999 Carrera is in fact more desirable than say a 2000 or 2001 as they came stock with a LSD and they are not Drive-by-wire.

I store this car for reasons already stated. One cares more about things that are their own as opposed to something that isn't. Yes I could easily replace this car should anything happen to it, however why go through the trouble and hassle?

There are some who treat their cars as something special and enjoy the drive and the engineering feats that go into a car , while others use them purely for the functionality of going from point A to point B. I fall into the former and always have. It's possible that the poster falls into the latter category.

In fact, isn't this why a lot of us are on this board? Because we enjoy the specialness and sartorial nature of clothing? Everyone knows that there are people who enjoy clothing for these reasons, while others just wear whatever doesn't smell bad.

To each their own. [​IMG]

You have a very nice car that I'm sure brings you a lot of thrills. Similar to you, I like to take care of and hold on to my things for a very long time, cars included. Enjoy!

9. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

That car is in Quebec. Almost bought it (33K Canadian) actually, but didn't want to deal with the rebuilt head and the other randomness of the sellers ad. A 993 is certainly one of the more desirable 911's

I know all about it.

High mileage, rebuilt head, leaks oil, incomplete interior. Too bad because aesthetically speaking, she's perfect.

10. KBW

KBW Senior member

Since it seems this thread has a lot of talk regarding Porsches I figure why not ask this here instead of starting another thread.

as far as long term value would a new 911 Turbo or GT3 RS be the better buy? They are extremely different vehicles I know but which would be more fun to drive and hold its value better long term? Also is there anyway to delete the graphics on the exterior of the gt3 rs or would that hurt the value? They are roughly the same price

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

GT3 RS, and never ever ever think about removing the graphics again.

12. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Since it seems this thread has a lot of talk regarding Porsches I figure why not ask this here instead of starting another thread.

as far as long term value would a new 911 Turbo or GT3 RS be the better buy? They are extremely different vehicles I know but which would be more fun to drive and hold its value better long term? Also is there anyway to delete the graphics on the exterior of the gt3 rs or would that hurt the value? They are roughly the same price

GT3RS, no doubt, but in this 'new' economy trying to hold onto a car as an investment is a fool's game. If you're worried about depreciation, pick up a used 360CS or something. New Porsches tank like a BRICK the second they're driven off the lot. I suspect this has something to do with the outrageous price for various options. I've seen regular 997's spec'd out to well over $130k.

And from a collectors standpoint, I suspect a car with graphics is going to fare much better than a car without graphics. Again, look at the premium that 360CS's with the factory stripe command over stripe-less CS's.

13. Albert60

Albert60 Senior member

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

^except the 92 part

15. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Interlagos is much better.

[​IMG]