1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. epb

epb Senior member

So, a motorcycle? ;)

You often see bike for sale ads on Craigslist that cite moving into the city as the reason for selling. If you're moving to Chicago and plan on using public trans most of the time, a bike makes more sense, not less. Fewer hassles parking, easier to get around on, cheaper to buy, fuel, insure, etc. Much better choice for a city toy/occasional commuter than a convertible or two-seater.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

In NYC, if you buy a motorcycle, you're automatically become a douche bag. It's just what happens.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

That's a motorcycle thing not a New York one

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

fair point.

I just feel that the aggressive nature of NYC drivers just amps up mororcycle douchebaggery by a multiple of 5.

6. epb

epb Senior member

:facepalm: I doubt it's a "motorcycle thing" when there's such a broad spectrum of bikes - that's like applying the "BMW/Audi thing" to all drivers, or to all years. Someone driving an E30 M3 or 80s Quattro isn't the same sort as the driver of a silver 328i with automatic.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i suppose it doesn't apply as strongly to Vespas. Only exception I can think of.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

there's some asshole who parks his giant ass Harley on my block. Every night at roughly 2 AM (this suggests he works in the food industry), he starts that thing as loudly as possible, waits for any traffic to clear, and then blasts down my street as quickly and loudly as possible. I think his meter for "was that a good one?" is whether or not he set off any car alarms.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

There are a bunch of these assholes in my neighborhood as well. Not harleys, though, ugly straight piped bikes I can't even describe.

I can't imagine it is legal to run a motorcycle without any sort of muffler on them, but there are at least half a dozen just parked on the street in my neighborhood. I am always tempted to carry bananas with me on my early morning runs to stuff in their tailpipes.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I hate loud motorcycles. I also hate loud cars. Don't get me started on fart cans.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

in my estimation, which is very scientific, 96% of motorcycles in NYC are of the loud type, and this includes a surprising amount of dirt bikes that I see (why do people have these here???). Fart cans are not particularly plentiful in Manhattan, though that changes once you get to NJ.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Given what I have read of NYC's streets I can understand riding an enduro there. No excuse for noise though.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

What are the noise regs on motorcycles in NYC, any? The CEO of Harley is in a bit of a stink as he has been quoted saying Harley needs to turn more to quite bikes... resoundingly booed by his core of course- but his point is many communities are banning, considering banning noisy bikes. There's one such proposal going on here where Harleys roam in packs down main street all summer long.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i think there's EPA restrictions to 80 decibels or something, but there no f'ing way that the majority of bikes in NYC meet this. The one guy who does the nightly blast by must reach 80 decibels IN my 5th floor apartment.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Was about to say the exact same thing. No way at all most of these bikes meet ANY regulations, be it for noise or pollution.

Like I said, the ones in my neighborhood are *straight piped*--there is just a goddamn chromed pipe welded to the exhaust manifold and running straight out the back of the bike. It is deafening inside the apartment when they go by.

I would love to see some stronger regulations on it and police actually enforce it.

I don't hate all motorcycles, but I do hate douchebags on motorcycles. And unfortunately, a motorcycle easily has the capacity to triple the douchebaggery of the person riding it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

my wannabe-hippie vegan sister in law just bought a motorcycle for no apparent reason (she walks to work or uses the subway to reach the city).

:facepalm:

17. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I do think it would be fun to take a road trip on a motorcycle through the country--up the Pacific Coast Highway or through the mountains or something. Clearly, I would not want some asshole-magnet bike though.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i'd sooner take an old Z3. This way, negative environmental effects are rendered non-problematic.

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Yeah- unfortunately- the limits are probably bikes at idle... witness:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I found a couple of references from studies a few years ago that put dB at 115+ at full rev.... and in a concrete canyon... bleh

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  20. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

So what you are saying is all new yorkers are idiots and not that motorcyclists tend to ride like idiots.