1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I wonder what happens if AMG would actually be able to put its power to the ground? :p

2. David23

David23 Well-Known Member

BMW M and Audi > AMG

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Makes for a quick ride over to Home Depot.

4. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Yeah but a company's goodwill is destroyed if they offer to pay for electricity and then start charging for it a few years later. People are absolutely banking on free power when they run the cost/benefit analysis and make a determination to buy this car. So I'm just saying that it's going to be a material ding on profits once Tesla is charging 50-100k of these things regularly for free. Ultimately the company needs to actually make money producing cars.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hydrogen is the best friend of the oil industry. I mean, when a clown like Bush was touting it as the future, you know something is wrong. Its a long way off and to many unfeasible. Just think of the potential explosions. Its 20 years off, minimum.

I was expecting another Jeremy Clarkson sideways lap. The guy drove well, nice to see.

I agree. The goal is to get to a critical mass. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for a charge. At my office, there are charging stations. I could charge for free 99% of the time today. By the way, a full charge runs about $6 from home.

Per above, I don't agree. They are making the right move eliminating a major drawback of electric cars. Its a start-up cost. I don't think buyers believe it would be free forever, I accept its a benefit gotten now for early adoption.

6. GusW

Drove my wife's R32 yesterday for the first time in about 2 years. What a great car. It has to be one of the most fun cars for the $$$. It feels great, has a lot of spunk, it's compact enough to make parking a breeze and has plenty of room to carry things on a trip.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Ask Jon Olsson ;)

I have a mate with a 6.2 V8 W212 E63 a blower on it and he says it likes to let the ass go, the new ones comes with option for 4x4, so that should help.

The old RS6 was in the same region after a remap, I think the F10 M5 gets up their as well.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Prefer the Cooper S to the R32.

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I'm not sure if buying a +$60k car based on any sort of fuel-savings/cost-justification is more hilarious or sad.

I haven't spent that much cumulatively in 15 years of car ownership, including maintenance, fuel and insurance.

This is tantamount to justifying $1600 John Lobbs as savings over $40 Converse; don't feed me bullshit that it is primarily a financial-based decision.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm not sure I see your point because people buy cars and Lobbs for different reasons. What you've spent in the last 15 years might not justify something for you, but what I have spent in the last 5 does for me so it may not be economically viable to you but it might be for others. I spend approx $4000 a year just on car maintenance. To drop that to $900 is significant. I spend between $3000 and $5000 on fuel. Dropping that to $500 is again significant.

$9000 vs $1400... is that hilarious or sad?

A car has to check a lot more boxes than raw economics, but you better believe I wouldn't mind trimming my maintenance budget and not giving my money to OPEC.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

In the last five years I think I've spent 2k on maintaining the two Benzes I've had. I had no idea what a deal I was getting!

12. GusW

Coopers are fun little cars but an S has about 180hp while an R32 has 240+hp. Much prefer the ride and driving position in the R32.

13. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I mentioned before, but for me the Mini just doesn't feel like a robust car compared to a Golf.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Compared to a mk4 r32, which is the only one I've tried I by far prefer the Cooper, it just feels much more responsive, in the end it's a preference/driving style thing.

15. nootje

nootje Senior member

John cooper works would be a better comparison. My gf has one that's upped to 230 bhp. Clutches come and go, but 'monster' as she calls it, is a blast to drive. Although any drive over 45 min would require earplugs due to the stainless straight exhaust..

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

On danish city roads the normal S is more than sufficient and I have done some crazy shit in coopers, including scaring a grown man, who just had been tearing up a E61 540.

17. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

The main reason I don't like the tesla is that it looks like a cheap car and the enormous ipad console looks ridiculous. I think I saw somewhere they had a range of about 200 miles. What happens if you're driving further? Are there random places for you to charge up? If so, how long does that take?

18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Saw several in Chicago last weekend. Got a close up look at one parked in front of my hotel. Beautiful.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

To each his own, but you have a 17 in screen doing nav. That's badass. And the car's software updates itself over 3G. The car comes with internet. Best thing about that console: no moving parts.

The range is more than 200 miles. Read previous posts about charging stations.

20. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I'm with IDFNL, not hard to imagine electric vehicles taking a huge chunk of the market. The simplicity of the drivetrain has many advantages. Eliminating gas stations for 95% of all refueling needs is huge for convenience.

I think someone (GF?) mentioned hybrids as a better compromise but to me hybrids are mostly hype. They do great in the city, but most city drivers don't drive that many miles. The only people piling up big miles in the city are taxi drivers (or I guess people with pink mustaches on their cars). My guess is that most people putting 12k+ miles a year do a lot of their driving on the freeway where the advantages of hybrids are minimal - better off with diesel if you drive on the freeway. Prius' are a notable exception, they do great on the freeway, but most other hybrids do worse than comparable diesel.