1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jet

jet Senior member

shit looks like an insect

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Aston Martin Vanquish Volante.

Pretty droptop in a stunning color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting price at $300k.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

^^^

i went "woah" to three individual elements in this post.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's not much bigger either (the Tesla roadster is based on the Elise).

Sexy

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

For all the talk about Porsche 911 designers being the laziest in the industry, Aston Martin designers have to be the second laziest

Still drop dead gorgeous though

6. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Just curious what was the SUV? In the end physics wins heavier object > lighter object. I'm guessing the SUV was triple the weight of the lotus lol

My truck at the time, a Silverado 1500HD crew cab, plowed right through a Toyota Echo at 60kph. Literally shattered the Echo into bits until the front bumper was resting on the back of the Echo Driver's head rest. (very lucky woman).

The truck needed a new grille, bumper, lights and hood. Nothing else. The Echo on the other hand ... there was less than half the car left.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i don't remember exactly, but it wasn't some puny X3. Of course I'd expect the Lotus to take the bigger hit, but i didn't expect the Lotus to be so heavily damaged while the SUV was mostly unscathed.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The most reassuring thing about stories like this is that I always see the dumbest, most inattentive motherfuckers driving the biggest SUV's (not referring to you, pinkformen)

9. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Haha I know what you mean. I think a big problem is many drivers go from a car to a full size truck or SUV, then drive it like a car. You have to drive a truck/SUV very differently and know where every part of your vehicle is.

In my case I actually have the opposite problem. I have trouble driving "small" cars. Being 6ft 3 definitely doesn't help but the lack of size makes parking that much harder as I'm used to a large turning radius and lane changes... the wheel is more responsive making things jerky etc.

10. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I just saw a GT3 RS and man did that sounds like sex.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

found. Sorry for the blurry pic, this was from 2009, and camera technology was just awful back then. Clearly.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

As it's been pointed out, the crumpling of the body shell and collapse of the crash structure is engineered into the car. It's how the car absorbs damage before it gets to the passenger cabin. I had a really awful accident in my Prelude back in high school. The car was totaled. The entire front end was wiped out. I mean, it looked like the car had been disintegrated forward of the windshield. But I walked away without a single scratch or bruise. The airbags didn't even deploy. That's how Honda used to engineer their cars (don't know if they still do). I do know that the Elise was engineered similarly. The exterior damage will always look far worse than what's actually happened to the car.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i see the point behind that for a track car, but not a car to be driven in NYC (granted, the latter is another discussion)

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Point is, the car is safer than its post-crash appearance makes it look.

15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

So....between a 2010 Alfa Romeo brera, 2013 renaultsport Megane, and 2011 renaultsport Clio (before current flappy paddle iteration)

The prettiest vs the fastest vs lightest and most practical

Opine on

16. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

I'd get the latest Megane RS, that thing is a beast. The brera is nice but unless you get the 3.2L (and even if you do), it is quite underpowered and not the most reliable of the 3. Don't you want to have more options ?

17. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

Have to keep the size small to conform with parking spaces. Also popping up and down curves is a common occurrence so already iffy in the Megane's being shod on 18/19"

Prefer to stay on the sportier spectrum -- driven at most 4/5 times a month -- ruling out Audi 1, MK7 GTi, etc....

BRZ is nice proposition but won't cope well when slushy winter comes. Not sure what else on the market is compelling...

18. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

300? To hell with Astons, nice bodies, old and depleted technologies.
    Its just a matter of time until this company dies and is never heard of. The initial excitement for any Aston is great, but they get boring quite quickly.
    For 300k, Mc Laren MP4, 458 Italia, Scuderia, would be sitting in my garage.

Hope my eyes are seeing a Lotus and not a Carrera GT :fu:

19. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

The 6 series is also supposed to be large. It's unnecessarily large and that's what I like about it. There's no need for the front end to be that long and there's no need for the back to be that long. However, they did it because it makes it look much better. Long, wide, and low. :slayer:

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

My colleague just bought a white 640gc. What a lovely car. She parks right next to me so I always stop to admire it before I get in my car