1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Exactly. Other then that I can't complain, but let's see now how it goes. Hopefully everything should be perfect, really had my spirit up to drive this weekend, but but... what to do :(

2. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Want. So bad. And unfortunately this is one of those itches that wont go away without scratching.

[​IMG]

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Go watch Chris Harris on G63 and it will go away for a while.

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I actually did this yesterday with Foo (er, we live texted about it). We both still want one, but, of course, never in white.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I want the new S-class so bad, with the finned rims. :slayer:

6. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

my dad picked up a very low mileage 05 G550. It is nice, but really drives like a truck compared to my GL 450. Although with the very upright windshield, minimal dash and very small pillars in the front, the visibility out of the front is the best I have ever seen. I have a funny feeling there will be a very nice 05 G550 with low miles on the market in the tri-state area pretty soon.

7. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I did. Nothing changed. That said, I do think the G63 is absolutely absurd. Ideally, I would want a G320 but of course MBZ doesn't offer them in North America for whatever reason. G500/550 with AMG package will suffice. There was a G36 for sale locally and it was sold in a day or 2. Pretty damn cool truck to be honest. JDM import...

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

The absurdity of the G-class is precisely what makes it one of the most interesting cars currently being made by anybody. It makes no compromises--either functionally or aesthetically.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I've driven the old one, i felt like I was driving a van, with that said, i would get a g63 in a heart beat, its so damn cool looking how it drives doesn't matter.

It's a pretty damn sexy car, saw some pics of one with caramel interior, perfect.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Why absurd? Its designed as a military vehicle.

11. gort

gort Senior member

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

lol. Driving like a douche.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  13. A Y

A Y Senior member

And true to form, he even made a tribute video to his crash afterwards:

14. mafoofan

No kidding. It is absurd because it is designed as a military vehicle.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

wait, a BMW driver acting like a douchebag? that's strange - I've never ever seen that happen! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. A Y

A Y Senior member

Cross-post from the photo thread. Driving back on beautiful CA-33 after a track day at Buttonwillow:

[​IMG]

Congrats Hampton on your new car. You'll love it once the dealership sorts it out.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    3 people like this.
  17. impolyt_one

There's nothing absurd about it, it's simply one of the last cars from old world still being made, with minimal evolutions (the other car being the Morgan, which isn't available in the US as new) - though the pace of updates to the G class has quickened over the years to add superfluous trendy things like LED strips and blinker mirrors. The best iteration of the G class is probably the G55 from 07-12. There are few cars that are insta-classics that you can go out and buy new, but the G-class is one of them.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i think i get why it's absurd - it was purpose built and evolved over multiple decades to be a badass offroader and do-everything military vehicle. and then Mercedes decided they would stuff the craziest performance engine into it and call it a luxury sports SUV. there's a G65 on offer with a twin turbo V12 FFS.

although it's never hits the mark on true performance and/or luxury no matter what kind of retrofits are done to it, much like the Hummer H1. it's too spartan and militaristic at its core to really overcome its basic onroad deficiencies and no-bullshit interior design

19. mafoofan

You are totally misreading me.

I am not insulting the G-class. It is absurd in that it is uncompromising to broad consumer tastes. I have said many times in the past it is one of my favorite cars in the world.

1 person likes this.
  20. impolyt_one

Well, it's absurd in the sense of the AMG models - but I think that it's actually quite appealing to many, I have only ever heard people say that they desire one. The only hurdle is the price, really.