1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Did he drive it off the road or get hit by some idiot driver? Depending on HOW it got total'd I'd either feel bad or not.

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Damn. I'm assuming his insurance will cut him a check for a new one?

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Was paying for parking at the booth and the exit ramp was sloping upwards with a hard right... was very tight but I thought I had ample space.

The blockade thing goes up and I lightly press the accelerator.. next thing I know:

*CRUNCH*

And I just let out a "AGHHHHHH FUCK!!!" and you could hear my shout echo underground (lol) since my window was still down.

Result:

[​IMG]

:(

Second time ever curbing a wheel in my entire driving history.

Texted the previous owner and he referred me to a shop that fixes curb rash for $50 a wheel.. seems too cheap, compared to other places that quoted me $150 a wheel. Anyone have any experience with fixing curb rash? Considering these are powder-coated, not sure how that will affect things.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Aren't you replacing those, soon? If so, why bother with repairing it?

5. gort

gort Senior member

It was a domino effect where he was rear ended and pushed into a car in front of him I believe. Sandwiched and all the airbags blown etc. Not a result of douche driving.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I plan to replace them, but 'soon' is yet to be defined.

I want to repair them to retain maximum value for any potential sale / trade.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Sounds awful. I hope he made it out unharmed.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Going to be looking for a car soon, need some ideas. Would like to stay around 10k, just need a commuter that's comfortable and gets good mileage. I have the truck and sports car taken car of already :)

9. habitant

habitant Senior member

geo metro.

1 person likes this.
  10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

11. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

You can never go wrong with a Volvo 240

1 person likes this.
  12. sonick

sonick Senior member

13. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

I think he said comfortable and good mileage :D . Everyone should own one in his life though !

I think I would get a pre 2007 Volvo V70 (and a beater 240 as well maybe haha), or a BMW E39 Touring (sub 10k you can find one with low mileage and amazing service history).

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Yea, I really like the idea of an older BMW. They look great and I prefer older cars anyways. Did have an e90 for a few years that I really liked. How is the e39 on gas? What about an e36 or e46? I guess I should go lurk some BMW forums...

15. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

I own a 523i (2.5 liter engine) E39 and it isn't bad. I get about 9l100km/25 MPG combined, because I drive in town quite a bit, but for example last time I drove from Berlin to Frankfurt and back (1100km) driving at 140kmh average (moving), with a few minutes at top speed and got about 7.9l100km/33MPG.

E46 have the same engines but are a bit lighter, so you would get metter mileage. E36 are a bit older but still good.

16. horndog

horndog Senior member

Anyone rented sports/luxury cars in Europe before?

My friends and I just booked three nights in Munich for Oktoberfest this year. We're landing in Zagreb, Croatia and hanging out on the coast for a few days, then driving up to Vienna. From Vienna to Munich we were looking to rent something exotic or sporty and the exotic route is too expensive - something like 1400 Euro/day and a 3 day minimum.

I would love to find something like an RS6 Avant or AMG wagon for the four of us and our luggage as an alternative. Do any companies over there offer these types of vehicles? I don't know where to start.

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Try Budget, Hertz or Avis Prestige, I highly doubt that they are going to have RS6 Avant or E63 Wagon though.

http://www.pegasus-rent.de/en/vehicle-classes/rent-a-suv/audi-q7-v12-tdi-2/

http://www.pegasus-rent.de/en/vehic...-frankfurt-stuttgart-muenchen-hamburg-berlin/

http://www.eliterent.com/en/rent-car/executive-luxury/mercedes/mercedes-s-63-amg/germany-6939

FYI:

You are not allowed to take high value rental cars into the former eastern block, if it gets stolen or damaged it's all on you, so you can't drive them in to Croatia.

18. horndog

horndog Senior member

^ Thanks for the links.

Loud & clear on the eastern bloc consideration; luckily we're going to only do the expensive car from Vienna to Munich. We'll beat around croatia in some Yugo.

19. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

e36s are dirt cheap right now - hell I'm going to buy my son one later this year as his first car. I'm looking for a 95 model which is still ODB1 and only has one o2 sensor and is more tuneable (if he decides he wants to go that route). As a commuter car though I'd go for a 328 (96-99) over a 325 (92-95) because although they have the same hp, the 328 has a much more torque.

Why not look at an older Miata? Dirt cheap, fun to drive and reliable as hell

20. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I heard about a guy a couple years ago who rented a car drove it to Poland, it got stolen and he was left with a $80.000 bill for a car.