1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

I think it's going to be a bigger hit in Europe. We have a much stronger culture for small cars, and the CLA is pretty decently priced. The new A-class will probably also be a huge success, mostly because of its looks.

2. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I hadn't really thought about the Altima, as some family members of mine had bought one a few years back and I wasn't impressed. Did a little digging and it turns out they redesigned it last year, and it's getting rave reviews, and it would fit in the budget. I'm not a huge fan of VW's. I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. I had a Jetta as a rental a couple years back and it reminded me of a Ford Taurus. Just...bleh. Maybe they've redesigned them too?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I'd love for the US to get the Mercedes B-class. I fell in love on a recent trip to Europe and would buy one if they ever came this side of the pond.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

The current Jetta/Passat redesigns are now more mundane looking- but also significantly less expensive.

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I never understood that "ruining the brand" comment. Mercedes makes a variety of vehicles from big azz haulers, buses, dump trucks taxis, and even lorries but y'all are alleging that a $30,000 (and that is a stripper car) car somehow ruins the brand? That is akin to saying a 3 series "ruins" BMW's reputation or an A4 is not a real Audi. Last time I checked the C class price overlap with the E class was about the same as the 3 series and 5 series overlap: significant. (sidenote: I also think MB fucked up by not offering the W204 C350 in a stick shift like they did with the W203 C350)

Smaller cars are becoming more and more popular in metropolitan areas in the US. This is a phenomenon that I never would have predicted.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

While I agree "ruining the brand" is too strong - within the US Mercedes has a far-narrower definition. We don't have the widespread use of a-segments, utilitarian etc... the TV ads to this day still portray Mercedes as the expensive muscle car of the expensive cars... breaking chains, paint pealing, smoking tires.

Both their and BMW's old tries at cheaper entry level were failures and they did harm with the luxe images that had been crafted here in the past.
    Keep in mind, threaks like this, however, are mostly fanbois and they're going to scream more than most. Folks interested in improved coilovers don't generally like being associated with hybrid-electric wind-up toys from Merc.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Let me rephrase then: ruins what I want out of the brand. I want an experience commiserate with what I pay to drive my GL. This means I do not want to be around the average person that drives a 30-35k "luxury" car. Horrible on my part? Sure. What I want for my $$? Yup. I do not look at Touaregs, even though by all metrics they seem to be a fine SUV, because I do not want to hang out with several classes of VW drivers. I'm old and grouchy, in a rush during my business day, and just want to get in and out.

1 person likes this.
  8. gort

gort Senior member

Unless you are simply talking about the experience when taking the car to the dealer for work, how often do you really have to fraternize with people who buy the same brand of vehicle as you?

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

yes, my comment was more for the US market. as Cary says, MB is a very aspirational brand over here....so obviously if this thing is not up to their standard they will erode that brand status. they are already heavily marketing the CLA over here so clearly they intend big things for it here. i'm keeping an open mind (and making a beeline for the AMG once it comes out)

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

also - signed up for the Audi Driving Experience.

a complimentary event where i get to flog R8, TTRS, R5, S8, S6, S4 around PBIR for four hours??

[​IMG]

11. Rumpelstiltskin

That is where you might be wrong. While sales of the the 318ti hatchback in the US sucked, that was more due to the itty bitty 4 cyl engine that it was stuck with. GTIs and hell even Civics stomped that poor thing. BMW's 1 Series, while scoffed at by some when introduced is actually a success. BMW learned their lesson and put a proper engine in that car

Laugh at the C class but it is the most successful car MB sells. And if I am not mistaken, the new CLA is below the C class on the MB totem.

[​IMG]

You're right. I know that I could give a flying fuck about "lux" as I lean more towards the sporting side of cars.

12. Rumpelstiltskin

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

this is what i (and i think CG) was talking about when referring to what i fear the CLA might be:

[​IMG]

this car sucked. and it was super expensive if you looked at what it gave you versus what you paid. literally the only person who would buy it would be someone who HAD to have a Mercedes

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

HRoi, how much does that Audi driving school thing cost?

Jealous..

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

apparently, just the cost of gas to drive to Palm Beach. Audi of America provides the cars, gas and light refreshments.

i signed up and they didn't ask me to pay or provide any cc information

16. gort

gort Senior member

You forgot to read the fine print where you're obligated to buy a fully loaded A7 at the end of it. :D

I picked A7 because I think that car is awesome

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

WTF?!

Where do I sign up?!

Serious.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

they sent me a letter with an invite code. but you can go here and request an invite

http://www.audidrivingexperience.com

you can probably hit up the NJ event or Summit Point if you're willing to drive

19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

HOLY SHIT JUST SIGNED UP FOR SONOMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

:slayer:

YISSSSSSS

THAT WAS ALL TOO EASY

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm at a loss. Its like a KKK member marrying a black girl so black she's blue. We need pics.