Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

Terrific! More details on the car, please?
    it's nothing extravagant just a 98 volvo S90 with the 24v has leather and suede interior, very nice but it's not a big timer car just something to have paid off
    Why will they go down more in price if you show them money? They make money on financing, thus could afford to discount the actual car for a cash buyer less than if you financed it. What you are saying, makes no logical sense.
    Maybe because they have sales a quota to meet? They make money off of leases not financing to buy. They generally make $80-100 per car of financing, but at the lease percentage rate of 14% which is the average so they can recoup from there loss once they get the vehicle back and nickel and dime you over things they deem wrong with the end of lease vehicle and make significantly more off of you than financing a car to own.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Maybe because they have sales a quota to meet? They make money off of leases not financing to buy. They generally make $80-100 per car of financing, but at the lease percentage rate of 14% which is the average so they can recoup from there loss once they get the vehicle back and nickel and dime you over things they deem wrong with the end of lease vehicle and make significantly more off of you than financing a car to own.
    What are you smoking? Seriously, I want to buy some. Leasing rates average 14%? [​IMG] Here, educate yourself: www.ridewithg.com Not only will you see the average leasing rate is no where near 14%, you'll learn how to work a lease. As to financing, the F&I office makes the "spread" on the paper they sell. It can often amount to more money than the dealership made selling the actual car. Here, did some Google work for you:
    http://www.consumer-action.org/engli...leaders_guide/ Edit: BTW, put my name on a GL450, Palladium Silver, 20" rims, bi-xenon headlights that steer around corners, running boards, and a few other goodies. Will be in by Xmas [​IMG]

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Edit: BTW, put my name on a GL450, Palladium Silver, 20" rims, bi-xenon headlights that steer around corners, running boards, and a few other goodies. Will be in by Xmas [​IMG]
    Woot Are you giving it to the wife with a bow on top?

4. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

^^^^
    Pio, does that come standard navi? If not, did you get it? And what made you choose the silver over black or white?

5. Piobaire

Woot

Are you giving it to the wife with a bow on top?

This is my MB! She got one Xmas of 08.

^^^^
    Pio, does that come standard navi? If not, did you get it? And what made you choose the silver over black or white?

Oh yeah, navi and all the toys. Black is too hard to keep clean and white cars are just not something I like. I really wanted Barolo Red.

What happened is, there is no GL in inventory in my part of the country, that is even close to what I wanted. Once you get more than the Premium 1 package, and start adding the appearance package, the lighting package, etc., they toss in the kitchen sink and end up with trailer hitches, three zone climate, rear DVDs, etc., driving the price up by 10k or so from what I wanted. So they put my name on one schedule for production, that won't get built until December. Since we can't lock in lease deals, and MB always has a December event, they will hold that car, with only a 1k, refundable deposit, with my name. The kicker is, they say they have problems selling red ones, so would not offer to refund the deposit if I insisted on red, but would refund on any other colour. So I went to my second choice.

So, we negotiated a lease price at today's rates, and if I can't get on as good as or better in December, I walk. Ordering like this gets you an even lower sale price, as they never have to floor plan it, meaning the vehicle actually costs them less money than one on the lot for a period of time. And I plan to get that money too [​IMG]

6. il ciclista

sorry i read the portion wrong it was including mark up fees and fees or driving over yearly mileage. I was going to say 14% is insane but still it seems insane to lease a vehicle that you cant use as an asset when it's done they charge(from what i read) 1700 on average for miles over and scratches, stains, etc. Then if you wanted to buy the car it is considerably more than if you were to buy it outright. There isn't a large difference between buying and leasing in terms of monthly payments. Also costing alot more in the end. I would much rather put 350 a month in a mutual than in a stinking car that will depreciate almost half it's value in 4 years..well depending on the make and model. I just want to be a millionaire when i am in my 50s so i guess being cheap now will pay off later. Sorry for the confusion on my part but regardless i still think it's a bad idea.

7. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

Congrats Pio. I yearn for the day I walk into a dealership and get the car I dream of.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Edit: BTW, put my name on a GL450, Palladium Silver, 20" rims, bi-xenon headlights that steer around corners, running boards, and a few other goodies. Will be in by Xmas [​IMG]

Sounds sharp.

9. Piobaire

Congrats Pio. I yearn for the day I walk into a dealership and get the car I dream of.

Sounds sharp.

Thanks guys. With my luck, the lease might not work out, and there I will be, a pedestrian, thinking FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

[​IMG]

10. Alias

Alias Senior member

Exactly, and that was the point I was making. I don't beat up on American cars relative to BMW, Porsche, Audi, and so on because I know they are not designed nor priced to compete in the same market.

On your last sentence, drive an M3 or M6, it'd be hard to describe one of those as serious or starchy.... [​IMG]

I do admit that the M3 turns me on.

11. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

12. il ciclista

had one when i was in the uk, german spec..it was great. I've always wanted the e30 m3

13. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

had one when i was in the uk, german spec..it was great. I've always wanted the e30 m3
    The last time I was at my mechanic he was working on a e30 m3 with some light mod's, deep dish Alpina rims and Recaros. I fell in love.

This is one of my dream cars -
    [​IMG]

14. il ciclista

didn't they have the M3 touring model as well? I remember seeing those all over the place in europe, to bad i was broke or i would have picked one up. My bro-n-law just sold him two M3's a 95 and 07 they were so nice but always breaking down.

15. Geste

Geste Senior member