• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stugotes

Reaction score
You're talking about 80mph, I'm sure? Italians usually do not go that much faster than the limit, as fines are pretty steep.

When driving in any European country with their speed limits I feel like the king of the road, but coming back into Germany - it's ******* war on the Autobahn and I quietly go back to the rightmost lane.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're talking about 80mph, I'm sure? Italians usually do not go that much faster than the limit, as fines are pretty steep. When driving in any European country with their speed limits I feel like the king of the road, but coming back into Germany - it's ******* war on the Autobahn and I quietly go back to the rightmost lane.

I know a bunch of italians and they same something else.

The autostrada in question was between Venice/mestre and Portogruaro, during rush hour.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Quote:
I guess they know better, as I usually only drive on the A1 between Milano and Parma, but I found that driving on Italian strade is way more relaxing than on German autobahns, which I'm used to.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I guess they know better, as I usually only drive on the A1 between Milano and Parma, but I found that driving on Italian strade is way more relaxing than on German autobahns, which I'm used to.

I wouldn't call the autostrada stressful at all, it's an experience and the traffic flows, so you don't notice that you going that fast (unless you are in a rented 1.2L Micra)

To quote an Italian friend of mine: In northern Italy we don't care about speed limits, in southern Italy they don't care about traffic lights, it's like driving in South America.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Anyone here ever have experience with importing a car into the US? Just wondering how much of a headache it would be to get a used RS4 Avant into the States.

That'll never happen, and still they cost like $50-60K USD on the used markets in the countries where they were sold, but it wouldn't be that hard to make a replica one nowadays, considering what it'd cost to get an RS4 wag and then import it.

My wife still wants a wagon. If I get one for her, I might get an E91 318i wagon as they're ridiculously cheap and unwanted, and then keep looking for an M3 sedan donor to do a major swapover. Been thinking project cars lately.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Anyone here ever have experience with importing a car into the US? Just wondering how much of a headache it would be to get a used RS4 Avant into the States.

I have sent several from the US to the UK, it is a pain ********** even for me. If you want to find out what is involved you must contact a freight forwader to do your bidding. He will give you the ins and outs and an idea of the cost of shipping, duties, INSURANCE, etc. Expect around $5500.00 US excluding duty and a few other fees from the UK to Long Beach. I don't know about to the east coast. My gut tells me if I were to bring in a 50K US value car it would be somewhere around 10-15k US for everything all in. I hope this helps.....actually I hope you decide to go another route. There are tuning shops that can do some amazing things for 10-15k. That is the route I would choose.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My new neighbor has one of these:

223968_10101028841709920_1382369114_n.jpg

glundr

Reaction score
I want that NSX-R

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have sent several from the US to the UK, it is a pain ********** even for me. If you want to find out what is involved you must contact a freight forwader to do your bidding. He will give you the ins and outs and an idea of the cost of shipping, duties, INSURANCE, etc. Expect around $5500.00 US excluding duty and a few other fees from the UK to Long Beach. I don't know about to the east coast. My gut tells me if I were to bring in a 50K US value car it would be somewhere around 10-15k US for everything all in. I hope this helps.....actually I hope you decide to go another route. There are tuning shops that can do some amazing things for 10-15k. That is the route I would choose.

in the US, you also won't be able to title a car that hasn't passed federal safety (crash) and emissions standards. which means you can't drive it on public roads. so forget about importing and driving RS6, 959, TVR, pre-R35 GTR, etc

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah it goes beyond just swapping out a cluster or getting 'US spec' bumpers and just showing that the engine is the same as sold in the US with that RS4 Avant - people forget that everything from the wheels and tires to the glass, cats, seats, headlights and light lenses, etc, etc - those have to be DOT approved, so you get into a bunch of money there. Stuff overseas often isn't, because it doesn't have to be. I read about a guy importing an old RS4 Avant to the US and he allegedly spent $100K and it took 2 years to get it street legal.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are already good wagons in the US. The E63T is in a league above the RS4, especially that V8TT one they're making now. I'd take one in a heartbeat, forget a 5 year old Audi compact that costs $60K.

Thinking of making that M3 wagon though, because it could be just something to do over time, and it's pretty easy to do nicely and cleanly. All of the stuff would be about $60K, which is less than a brand new 328i wagon. I could buy a 2007 318i wag with a clean registration and drive it around til I'm ready, and then buy a clean 2008 M3 sedan with a dead registration and have it flatbedded straight to it's evisceration. I'm not sure if I'd take the M3 shell and turn it into a 318i sedan and try to sell it, or what, lol. Even though it could be a good car (if I chose the same colored cars I could end up with a stock-looking 318i sedan) - the VIN would end up making the resultant 318i sedan really expensive to insure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads