1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Took the M Coupe out for the first time this season now that the salt is off the road. Some W210 E55 AMG kept trying to get me to tangle with him. I was like, dude, I just filled out a couple of bar exam applications this week and you have *no idea* how uninterested I am in fucking any of that up.

Clearly, no way to convey that sentiment.

~H

2 people like this.
  2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The wagons for the US were the 328Xi and the 535Xi... the 328Xi's come pretty stripped, almost all of them I've seen were on 16"s with no iDrive, and optioned with Premium and maybe cold weather, have the 328-sized brakes, I think that's what my dad bought and I was kind of disappointed to hear, as the 535Xi's I've seen have come with more features and I'm pretty sure the 535 would be a better drive than the 328. 3ers are overpriced in the market and 5ers tank after a few years; you can find the 535 wagon pretty near the price of the 328 wagon, if you can ever find them. Right now there's a 2007 328XiT on ebay with a BIN of $20K and 80k miles, and there's a 2009 535XiT for $22.3K BIN - I know which one I'd want if I had to choose.

3. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Which E34? That has to be my favorite BMW design of all time.

4. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

So I'm not crazy. Going to a 5 you basically gain trunk space but give up speed & flickability due to increased weight & size. And the price overlap between both cars is quite large as well.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  5. Rumpelstiltskin

The thing is most people who buy station wagons are not going to trade them in every couple of years - they hold on to them, hence less of them on the used market.

Of course the 328 would have 328 sized brakes. I don't understand what you are trying to get at since you are comparing apples to oranges

There is a reason that the 3 series is BMW's best selling model and also keep their value the most (non M cars). Plus 3ers will run circles around 5ers.

If you want larger wheels they can just be swapped out (if you are buying from a dealership that is). If not used wheels are easy to find. I saw an e90 with e46 zhp wheels yesterday and it looked veddy veddy nice.

6. Desi

Desi Senior member

a white 525. Never posted the pictures requested a while back
    This is it:[​IMG]

Just imagine the bumper fucked on the right hand side.

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Even without the self-leveling system, the suspensions on the 3 and 5-series cars are significantly different with the parts for the 5-series costing more. In other words, maintenance costs on the 5-series are higher.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

I spotted a Porsche 904 this morning in Santa Barbara. There are perhaps a little over 100 examples of this car in the world.

The owner was transporting his very elderly father (it was kind of funny to hear him tell his dad how to strap himself in with the harnesses), and I didn't want to hold them up by asking a lot of questions. Does anyone know which 904 this is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

That was a fun read, but a really clean copy with less miles is probably worth a third of his asking price. The real value of his ad is in being entertained by the copy, but I already received that value from clicking the link

11. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

[​IMG]
    5GT gif for the hell of it

just to share,

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I'd take a 5 wagon over a 3 wagon any day. The 3 wagon makes no sense, it's too small to have much utility or for real use with a family. Plus, I feel like I'm almost at the height limit for 3 series driving. Hard to get into a comfortable driving position.

If you get the 535 wagon then at least you're getting quite a bit more power(along with the space) and I think the 5 wagon looks better than the 3.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Drove several cars today... found a certified A6 for about the right price, low miles. Capacious trunk might suffice. It heads the leaderboard at the moment. I liked the LR3 quite a bit but the 13-14mpg kills it; same for the Q7 which was also rattly.
    Bimmers are out- space in the footwell is too cramped for my driving foot amd too spooked at repair costs.

1 person likes this.
  14. whiteslashasian

What year is the A6? Is it the 3.0t quattro? They actually generate some decent power, though the car is rather heavy...

It's always good to actually drive a wide range of cars which is what you're doing. The A6 should get about 20mpg around town and upper 20's on the highway which isn't too shabby...especially when compared to the Rover...

1 person likes this.
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

If you're spooked about repair costs don't get an older Audi or Land Rover. The Audi being certified helps for sure, but when does that warranty expire?

16. whiteslashasian

The older Audis with timing belt, blown turbos, carbon buildup issues etc are thankfully in the past, though who knows with the new bits what will go wrong.

The newer an Audi (or any German) gets, it seems the harder they are to wrench on yourself.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

this. Especially the latter.

18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

The A6 is looking pretty good at the moment.

19. jet

jet Senior member

x6 m dawg porsche up there is real nice

20. Rumpelstiltskin

Her car was in the shop for what turned out to be a bad coil and they gave her (read: me) a 2013 328ic to drive for the last 2 days. Whoohooo!!! It's noticeably heavier but that top down feeling was great. The first car I ever bought was a soft top Jeep Wrangler but that wasn't a real convertible. This push button thing is great but I can easily see that shit breaking on me right before a downpour and leaving me stuck with a half closed roof in the rain.

-end rant