Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

They are in a totally different class, and thus cannot be compared. Sure, if I could afford a brand new Rolls Royce I would definitely buy one...dumbass

Then how about not posting on every single car post made here about how it's the best car ever.

How about you post...
    I am a small timer and my favorite car I can actually afford is a lincoln town car and I want to go on forever about how great it is even though even I know it's a POS.

Dumbass

2. Alias

Alias Senior member

I hate to say it, but I don't think you could pay me enough to drive a domestic car. Some of the new Dodge Challenger color combinations are cool, and I see the odd Corvette that looks alright, but they just do not compare in any way, shape or form with a German car like BMW or even Audi, but then, they aren't exactly targeting the same market, so they probably should not be expected to I guess.

You're correct on that last statement. And don't Euro cars cost a lot more than domestics? So you're basically paying more money for more car, which makes sense. If domestic car companies produce a car that can completely, 100% compete with the Euros in terms of engineering and interior quality, it will cost close to Euro money.

I want to love BMW's and Audis but they just don't make me warm and fuzzy inside when I see them. They're too serious and starchy for me. Then again this is coming from a guy who drives a Mustang.

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

Then how about not posting on every single car post made here about how it's the best car ever.

How about you post...
    I am a small timer and my favorite car I can actually afford is a lincoln town car and I want to go on forever about how great it is even though even I know it's a POS.

Dumbass

Shut it dickwad. This is a "Cars We Drive" thread, not "Bitch about Car X" thread. Feel free to start one complaining about the Lincoln. It's his ride and he posted it here.

4. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

Then how about not posting on every single car post made here about how it's the best car ever. How about you post... I am a small timer and my favorite car I can actually afford is a lincoln town car and I want to go on forever about how great it is even though even I know it's a POS. Dumbass
    Wow, way to get pissed. What a tool... I will add that Gnatty does have a sweet Bimmer...see I'm not a hater of foreign jobs.

5. ScottMan

ScottMan Senior member

I'd drive a Veyron to a funeral, be damned what anyone thinks, same as my silk top hat or waist suppressing frock coat and ascot. But black would probably be a nice choice if so.

Probably no room for 2 turbos under the hood of the RX

Ye of little faith...

[​IMG]

Yes, it fits under the hood and stock bumper. No, that's not my car.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

You're correct on that last statement. And don't Euro cars cost a lot more than domestics? So you're basically paying more money for more car, which makes sense. If domestic car companies produce a car that can completely, 100% compete with the Euros in terms of engineering and interior quality, it will cost close to Euro money.

I want to love BMW's and Audis but they just don't make me warm and fuzzy inside when I see them. They're too serious and starchy for me. Then again this is coming from a guy who drives a Mustang.

Exactly, and that was the point I was making. I don't beat up on American cars relative to BMW, Porsche, Audi, and so on because I know they are not designed nor priced to compete in the same market.

On your last sentence, drive an M3 or M6, it'd be hard to describe one of those as serious or starchy.... [​IMG]

7. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

just picked my wife up a volvo the other day paid cash for it, it's nuts how much they will go down in price if you show them money. Best part is no note!

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

just picked my wife up a volvo the other day paid cash for it, it's nuts how much they will go down in price if you show them money. Best part is no note!
    Terrific! More details on the car, please?

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

On your last sentence, drive an M3 or M6, it'd be hard to describe one of those as serious or starchy.... [​IMG]
    QFT

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Why will they go down more in price if you show them money? They make money on financing, thus could afford to discount the actual car for a cash buyer less than if you financed it. What you are saying, makes no logical sense.

11. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

Why will they go down more in price if you show them money? They make money on financing, thus could afford to discount the actual car for a cash buyer less than if you financed it. What you are saying, makes no logical sense.

i was told this too. I will report back in ~ a year when i kop my audi[​IMG]

12. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

This happened to a person I knew...they paid cash and the car dealership dropped a chunk off of the price. Most people I know who finance vehicles do not go through the dealership...so there's no extra profit for the dealership in those instances.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

When you get a car, there's two major transactions going on: 1) The acquisition of the car 2) Financing and aftermarket items. So, from the dealership standpoint, they get paid up front when you acquire your vehicle. If it's a lease, the leasing company pays them, a buy, the financing company pays them, if cash, you pay them. Basically, at the time of acquisition, the dealership gets paid. Now, from the dealership standpoint, #2. If you pay cash, they have no opportunity to make money from the financing. They can make nice money doing this, if the consumer is not careful. People that finance, are also more likely to buy after market items, what's known as things like, "rust and dust, croak and choke," etc. The most lucrative sale for a dealership, is usually one that finances a purchase and leasing and cash the lowest opportunity for revenue. The one thing the dealership knows on a lease though, is that in a fairly short time, that person will need another car. Cash buyers tend to hold a vehicle, so they do not represent the future revenue potential of a lease buyer. So looking at these things, what motivation does a dealership have for discounting a cash buyer more than financing or leasing?
    This happened to a person I knew...they paid cash and the car dealership dropped a chunk off of the price. Most people I know who finance vehicles do not go through the dealership...so there's no extra profit for the dealership in those instances.
    GMAC is the largest financier of auto loans. Seems your anecdotal is incorrect on a general basis.

14. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

So looking at these things, what motivation does a dealership have for discounting a cash buyer more than financing or leasing?

Don't ask me...I just told you what happened with my uncle when he bought a new truck last year.

15. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

GMAC is the largest financier of auto loans. Seems your anecdotal is incorrect on a general basis.

I just know about my immediate family, and a few friends...none of whom got a loan from GMAC.