1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ferrari have designed a sweet looking ride here. But WTF, they named it "LaFerrari"??

950bhp hybrid drivetrain, they're using a derivative of KERS F1 technology. Top speed is in excess of 217mph, production run of 499.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Check out this $3m+ Lambo.... how can you design a car to look this bad? Its beyond belief.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Wait, Bad?

It is everything a Lambo show-car should be: angry, spaceship looking, with so many fins and spoilers and rocket launchers that batman looks at it and feels impotent. Its not a production model (at least not in serious numbers, 3 I think was the claimed run) its just a design that nods towards every bedroom wall and middle aged man who picks Green or Orange from their paint charts. Its a big "Fuck you" to N-CAP ratings and people with tape measures claiming that the bumper isn't bouncy enough.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

It looks like 3 different cars glued together. And those wheels? Horrific. I used to have that Countach poster, so I'm one of them... that car is no Countach and looks like absolute shit.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Enzo replacement. It looks great, but for some reason I feel like I've seen it before.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I'm getting P4/5, Enzo, and hints of F50 in there....

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

and a touch of McLaren F1

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That's the first car I thought of....

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Ford Probe Concept! What, 1982 or something?!

To "most people" there are many synonymous things, say, the difference between mass and weight. Yet that difference is a very big deal indeed. There are plebes and pedants, twas ever thus, and somehow out of their interaction the language evolves while getting neither too stupid nor too precise.

Well, they do to me -- I don't quibble with your citations to source and authenticity, but if, say, ricers adopted something similar in style, that's the association that I have to them. Doesn't make me right!

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

So...991 GT3 photos are out :drool:

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Indeed:

They went with the PDK, too.

13. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Okaaaaaaay...All I am saying is if a bunch of guys (multiple persons of the male gender to you) are standing around talking about cars, the last thing anyone even thinks about is ensuring that they are using the most precise language possible. In grade school that was an invitation to getting your lunch money taken

[​IMG]

In adult life it just makes you look like a douche

14. jet

jet Senior member

never thought i'd see the day of an automatic gt3, sad day indeed

and absolutely fucking hate door mounted mirrors, hroi keep your shit forever

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

'Rims' is simply slang -- nothing more or less, and it thus carries all the usual slang caveats. And like all slang, it's not accurate. You like this particular piece of slang, I get it. That's fine, as long as the distinctions don't disappear.

Your contention that a bunch of guys don't use precise language when they talk about cars is ridiculous -- misstate the type/size of engine in a car and see how far that gets you. As for doucheyness, I recall pointing out the distinction, but not saying or implying anything negative about anyone who used the term. I don't think you can make the same claim.

~ H

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

True, that. I dream of shifting sometimes -- PDK won't give me that.

17. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

i swear VW released news of that ultra mega high MPG car like five years ago...why whould they bring it to Geneva now?

18. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

[​IMG]

I got myself a new used BMW as well. This was owned by retired people with a mecanician son. It has 85k miles/137k km on the odometer and everything is stock except the thing that regulates the amount of gas getting into the engine.

At first I wanted an E34, but I couldn't find one that was flawless and with low mileage, so I will keep looking.

In the meantime, I will have to get new wheels as well and get replacement interior trim so I can paint them or wrap them in vinyl, because those wood trim make me feel like Im driving grandpa's car.

19. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

The funny thing is that you are driving a grandpa's car; of course that is assuming that the retired couple you purchased this car from did have grandchildren :teach:

Enjoy it.

The VW hypermileage car immediately reminded of the police car from Demolition Man, though they barely look alike.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.