1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Yeah, that's #1 on my agenda. What would you recommend? I was thinking going pretty much back to stock, something like this [​IMG]

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Great car

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The best rims you could get for your car (though pricey) would be a set of 17" E39 Sport (came on both 528i and 540i models) wheels made by BBS, very similar to BBS RS1:

[​IMG]

That's all you need for that car to look perfect.

2 people like this.
  4. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Yep, ideally that is exactly what I want. Car would look mint with those, going to be on the lookout. I feel like the current ones are really bringing down the overall appearance of the car.

5. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Do you happen to know the exact model name or number of those?

6. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

I like the other two options better but the alpina styles was the first thing that came to mind. Gorgeous car, either way. mins[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. sonick

sonick Senior member

they are known as the style 5's.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Beautiful car. With new rims, it'll look stunning. Congrats on finding this one. Do show us a pic with the new rims, and please don't delay in getting them.

9. impolyt_one

The Style 5's are almost perfect for the 6'er. They look like the original M6 TRX wheels without the hassle of TRX tire sourcing, and are plus one sized. The only problem is that the ones in America are almost always off an E39, and if I recall the bore size of E39's is slightly different than the rest of the big BMWs, which can share wheels pretty easily. You'd have to look into it, as I've forgotten the scenario there. In overseas markets there were style 5's for E34's that would go directly on without any adapters or rings.

All I'd do to make your car perfect would be to get the style 5's on (possibly with a refurbishing of a full polished lip and stock silver mesh centers, polished bolts) and then a good fresh suspension that isn't too low, with brand new bushings everywhere, and then continual small maintenance on the wear parts. That car should go forever and look beautiful forever, if so.

(an example in worse condition, and with BBS caps, which I kinda dislike here - would fly standard BMW roundels)
    [​IMG]

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Mark, that's an awesome car! Great taste my man. :fistbump:

I hope to own an E30 M3 someday :devil:.

Edit: Impolyt's recommendation for the style 5s is spot on -- I'd say go for those for sure.

Unfortunately not. I'm in Texas so this is my being lazy on my part because I don't even know what track / auto X options are available to me. I have no excuse, now that I think about it, because I'm only home on the weekends and the weekends are probably the only times one can attend such events :laugh:.

I used to be a part of the CCA based in Mass., but alas, never participated in any events or meetups. My membership expired, too, so I may want to re-new it for the Texas / Dallas chapter. Thanks for the detailed write-up; now I'm actually much more motivated to seek one of these classes out :nodding:.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'm putting in a vote for these as well. BMW does a great job with factory wheels.

12. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Those are exactly the rims I wanted, I just didn't know what they where called. Now what's left is actually finding a pair.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

GF, the Lone Star chapter has a school scheduled for COTA (Circuit of the Americas) this spring. It's pretty cheap too and you'll be among the earliest people to drive that track. It was built for F1 and is new so the facilities should be pretty awesome. The track looks very fast and is probably hard on brakes so they may do something to its layout for students.

14. glundr

glundr Senior member

"RIMZ" Its wheels guys come on. inb4 three piece wheels technically have a separate rim portion.

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I always say wheels, too -- because that's what the majority by far actually are. But I always get shot down.

Incidentally, I think those Sport wheels will look kinda ricer on that incredible BMW. BBS wheels always look so lame to me.

16. impolyt_one

Huntsman, they look similar enough to the original E24 wheels (which are almost always replaced with aftermarket wheels due to the metric TRX tire problems) that there's no way they could look rice-y. The only way the Style 5's could look better on the E24 is if they had a stepped lip, which they don't. That's splitting hairs though, considering how great they look on 6ers. Others seem to agree, since there are many examples to look at if you google 'E24 style 5'

original M6 TRX (BBS 'RA' style?)
    [​IMG]

BMW Style 5:
    [​IMG]

17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I said wheels, I feel like I'm trying to be cool if I say rims.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Did they make a convertible M3 in 05?

19. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Fuckin a, cannot wait till my car looks like that last ones. A good detail + those rims and i'll be there.

1 person likes this.