1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Mannix

Mannix Distinguished Member

Same here. I'm too used to German tech and amenities to switch at this point; however, I do keep my eyes open for something domestic that might fancy me. I did try domestic a few years back,but after a year I couldn't take it any longer.

I definitely have to agree that American cars do not have the neat extras, but I find that most of them aren't necessary. I like the looks, size, handling and comfort of my car and that's why I bought it. When I'm out of college I plan on having a classic car for my daily driver and they certainly don't have the newer car extras...but that's quite alright with me. I suppose I'm very old thinking when it comes to vehicles...

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

I definitely have to agree that American cars do not have the neat extras, but I find that most of them aren't necessary. I like the looks, size, handling and comfort of my car and that's why I bought it. When I'm out of college I plan on having a classic car for my daily driver and they certainly don't have the newer car extras...but that's quite alright with me. I suppose I'm very old thinking when it comes to vehicles...

I hate to say it, but I don't think you could pay me enough to drive a domestic car. Some of the new Dodge Challenger color combinations are cool, and I see the odd Corvette that looks alright, but they just do not compare in any way, shape or form with a German car like BMW or even Audi, but then, they aren't exactly targeting the same market, so they probably should not be expected to I guess.

3. turboman808

turboman808 Senior Member

I hate to say it, but I don't think you could pay me enough to drive a domestic car. Some of the new Dodge Challenger color combinations are cool, and I see the odd Corvette that looks alright, but they just do not compare in any way, shape or form with a German car like BMW or even Audi, but then, they aren't exactly targeting the same market, so they probably should not be expected to I guess.
    I bought my first domestic car 2 years ago. Solstice GXP. Swore I would never buy one but I just really liked the styling. It's cheap and looks it. Interior is just a sea of plastic and cheap leather. The body panels fit for shit. Worst of all GM service is so bad I could just never buy another american car. I would take up 2 pages talking about how bad the service is and how much damage they have done to my car. Seems they cannot repair one thing without damaging everything around it. However the car is fun to drive. Just the service absolutely ruins it. Oh I did just do some engine mods to it. Not very expensive to do but now has 300hp at the wheels and a killer 350lbs of torque. Man I love torque.

4. Mannix

I realize the foreign cars are way better tuned and what not, but I love the 'boating' feel of the Town Car. It has air ride suspension and the handling is loose in comparison to BMWs and Audis, but that's what I like about the Town Car. I didn't buy the car to take it Nuremberging. Call me crazy or whatever...but I love the LTC and always will have a soft spot for it.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I know I'm dragging this process out, but wife and I had yesterday off, so we took out the QX56 for an extended test drive in the morning, then we took out the GL450 for a real extended one (as in lunch).

QX
    pros: sit nice and high. Nice electronic tech, so/so tech in the powertrain and 4x4. Good amount of room.

Cons: low, low residual (45%), lumbers and drives like a pick up (which it basically is), did not like the feel of the brakes, really did not like the cornering

GL

pros: best transmission in the world. Great tech, in all areas. Seating is super comfortable. Handles great, has two suspension settings (comfort vs. sport), has full air suspension so can raise it up to 11" clearance and in auto it raises and lowers for current conditions, like high speed it will lower itself to be more aerodynamic.

cons: side view mirrors, while bigger this year, are still a little small. That's really it.

Monday, I should know if I'm getting one of these or not, after I talk to my home builder.

6. uhurit

uhurit Distinguished Member

You must like Saabs...any particular reason? jw

Great value for the money, IMO
    Untilitarian build
    Understated and classic scandinavian design in spite of GM tampering
    except for one, no trouble, repair or maintenance
    Few people drive them...they stay off the radar, and it's a good thing in my book
    BTW, I've read somewhere that Saab customers have the highest per capita income(..exotics not inculded, obviously)

7. Mannix

Great value for the money, IMO
    Untilitarian build
    Understated and classic scandinavian design in spite of GM tampering
    except for one, no trouble, repair or maintenance
    Few people drive them...they stay off the radar, and it's a good thing in my book
    BTW, I've read somewhere that Saab customers have the highest per capita income(..exotics not inculded, obviously)

Does that make you feel good inside? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. epb

epb Senior Member

That's a shock - I associate Saabs with academia, usually Fine Arts teachers. It was almost a stereotype, at least it was 20 years ago.

9. uhurit

Does that make you feel good inside? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I happen to be an aberration on a generally prosperous Saab landscape.
    That said, I understand the highest per capita statement...if you don't want to flaunt your reasonable wealth, what are going to drive that doesn't stick out and yet stands apart[​IMG]

10. Piobaire

I would guess Saab owners are still heavily weighted to academia. Here's some actual info:

http://www.saabnet.com/mediakit/

FWIW, if you want to stay out of exotics, it seems RR and MB both have higher incomes than Saab. There might be other brands too, I didn't research it.

11. sartre864

sartre864 Senior Member

That's the "average" income for a member of the Saab Network, not the typical Saab driver. It seems rather obvious that the median income of all Saab drivers would be significantly lower than the $100k/year "average" certainly inflated by the fact that Saab Network appeals to a very specific kind of Saab driver.

I'd be shocked if BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and Audi did not have higher median driver incomes than Saab.

12. Piobaire

That's the "average" income for a member of the Saab Network, not the typical Saab driver. It seems rather obvious that the median income of all Saab drivers would be significantly lower than the $100k/year "average" certainly inflated by the fact that Saab Network appeals to a very specific kind of Saab driver.

I'd be shocked if BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and Audi did not have higher median driver incomes than Saab.

Ah, yes, I see that now. I would certainly agree that MB, RR, and Jag probably have higher incomes, and would not be surprised if BMW and Audi did too.

I do think the average income of MB and BMW have dropped lately, as they have recently lowered the cost of entry, with lower priced models.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

I always get a kick out of seeing saab drivers.

14. uhurit

The curious thing is how Saab owners purchase cars: mostly cash or business leases...if purchase, the highest beacon scores...consequently, one of the lowest cash to financing conversion rates in the industry. Because Saab is not a "status symbol" car, they avoid the plague of wannabes stretching their payments beyond their means

15. Piobaire

The curious thing is how Saab owners purchase cars: mostly cash or business leases...if purchase, the highest beacon scores...consequently, one of the lowest cash to financing conversion rates in the industry. Because Saab is not a "status symbol" car, they avoid the plague of wannabes stretching their payments beyond their means
    LOL, you really are quite invested in this mythical (as in you're posting stuff as fact with no data) Saab demographic, aren't you?