1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This whining is making me nauseous.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Feel free to...

3. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

Seems to me like there's about 15-20 posters on that thread, so probably most of them posted pictures of their cars already.

On my side, I have been looking at BMW 525i E34 (M50 engine) with less than 200k km on it for about a month now, and I think I will pick up one rather soon. It'll be my autobahn cruiser for a while.

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I'm out. You guys can have this thread all to yourself..

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

as a side note, holy shit that Pagani Huyara-whatever blistered that Top Gear track.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

Ummm, :confused:

It doesn't matter how good an AWD system is if the tires cannot transfer force to the ground. Which wheel will you drive if none have them have grip?

Wet weather driving is entirely different than snow driving. Traction in rain is about getting water out from underneath the tires. Snow reduces traction because tires are cold and hard and have reduced (and sometimes no) grip when they're cold, and snow is a movable surface. That's why snow tires have different rubber formulations along with different surface features (the small sipes that can grip into ice or snow).

2 people like this.
  7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ya, I forgot to mention that, holy shit that was a fast lap.

My car is heavy as hell, so that makes a big difference in getting grip. I do concede winter tires are much softer and have much better grip in the snow, no argument there. No question winter tired are better under braking, AWD adds no value there.

Here you see a FWD car barely beating a Subaru. And the Subaru is better under acceleration. Not much of a difference otherwise:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

same car, just different tires. For stopping grip, it doesn't matter if you have AWD or not.

9. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

By far the best performing car I have experienced in the snow was the LR3. An absolute beast. I was supposed to take it to the LR Driving School at Equinox in Vermont, but my trip was canceled, then I sold it. Maybe my theory is off, but I really think it makes a difference in the type of snow and temperature. It would be easier to blast through the snow in Colorado, much drier snow than New York. With the heavier, wetter New York snow, it is tougher for any car to provide traction and stopping power.

10. jet

jet Senior member

love the jay Leno pagani vid in la

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Lol, those two cars would be smoked by this F1 car on winter tires.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

12. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I love how spectacularly BMW has lost its shit in the recent past. first, it was the faked engine noise in the M5. then, it was all those cosmetic "special edition" M3's (which AMG promptly trumped by releasing the Black Series and 507 to show BMW how it's done).

now, they take a look at their version of the Pontiac Aztek and say, that was so awesome let's make a smaller one!

15. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I may be the only one who likes the GT... in fact it is probably the only version of the 5 series that I'd actually buy :hide:

16. sonick

sonick Senior member

I don't really understand the need for the GT line with the Tourings and the X series. Can somebody enlighten me what niche they are trying to fill with it? People too self-conscious about owning a wagon?

17. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

I dont hate the 5 series GT in black, these wheels are two big for my taste but a little lowering and beefier tire helps. I wonder if id like the 3gt done up the same way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I thought they faked the exhaust note. I'm amazed this Milli Vanilli shit didn't get more criticism. What a pathetic move.

1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Did you go from and LR3 to the GL? That's what I did.

Agree, nothing I have ever driven remotely compares to the LR3 in terms of just driving over shit, traction, etc. Simply the most incredible AWD system in the world.

20. A Y

A Y Senior member

I don't mind the BMW GTs actually. The rear is much better resolved than the Panamera's, but that's not saying much.

After seeing friends with growing families and the kinds of car choices they make because of that, I can understand why BMW wants to make something like the GT.