• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Man, that's the thing I hate about body damage to your car. Even if it's fixed to a satisfactory state, you'll still lose value on the car if (when) it's reported to Carfax and you try to sell it. Insurance should cover that diminished value.. although it'd be hard to calculate.
That's a nasty dent, but should be easy to fix. Sorry about that RFX, I've been there and know how awful it feels.

As for recovering diminished value, some states do not allow for it, unfortunately. My state is an example. When I was hit, the only way I could have been compensated for it was by suing the low-life because he was uninsured, but the low-life declared bankruptcy.

Good luck with the repair, and with getting your plates, RFX.

deepitm

Reaction score
I actually like the NY plates that are orangish-yellow and black. I also really like those really simple plates from Delaware.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yah I was in a Z4 forum that has mainly Euro members and I noticed that their new cars already has plates as drive off the dealership and I was surprised that buying a car in Euro is so different in the US. Apparently you can't really go to the dealership, buy the car and drive home in a new one. At least that is the cases with BMW dealerships where you pretty much have to order the car and wait for it to be built and delivered for you to be picked up.
Here in the US, you go to the dealership and within a few hours you could be driving home with a brand new car. And they mail the plates to you and could take 30-60 days, in the meantime they put a registration sticker on the windshield so we get to drive the car w/o plates for a little while.
As for my car, looks like the body panels alone is $1k and with body work/paint and work hours with a new wheel, I am looking at at least $3k. My biggest concern is body damage, rear axle and if the mechanical roof will be affected (apparently this is very sensitive and the slightest hit could cause it to malfunction).

Pretty much, dealers have demo cars that you can buy after they are done with them and some of the big dealerships have cars ready for delivery, but those are often poorly spec'd.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for all the best wished everyone.

I drove around for a bit yesterday and good news is there aren't any swaying or any distinct/noticeable damage to the rear axle. The roof also worked well so I really do hope it is just body damage.

8828369.jpg

8828372.jpg

8828374.jpg

8828375.jpg

8828376.jpg

Edgein

Reaction score
I posted this before, you can take a deduction for the drop in value due to an accident. Not sure if it works with a lease, however. I'm sorry you had to deal with the idiot. The hassle is the worst part, no compensation for the mental anguish...

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think as long as it's repaired properly and OEM parts are used for those that needs replacing, there should be no problem when returning it after the lease.

The hassle is definitely the most annoying thing outside of seeing the car damage every single morning. Looking for competent shops that will do a good job is the biggest hurdle, maybe I will just take it to the dealership since the insurance will cover everything anyways and maybe I can get an M3 or M5 as a loaner.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think as long as it's repaired properly and OEM parts are used for those that needs replacing, there should be no problem when returning it after the lease.
The hassle is definitely the most annoying thing outside of seeing the car damage every single morning. Looking for competent shops that will do a good job is the biggest hurdle, maybe I will just take it to the dealership since the insurance will cover everything anyways and maybe I can get an M3 or M5 as a loaner.

^i hate the embarrassment i feel that everyone that sees the damage thinks its the result of my bad driving - when it was the opposite. its like walking around with a toddler with her arm in a cast from a freak accident, you can feel the judging eyes.

i'm glad they're bringing the Dodge Viper back. I personally would never buy one but I love the for what it is.

actually if I lived int he suburbs and had space for three or more cars maybe I'd get one just to know that I could easily die just by merely driving it.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Roadsters are easier to fix at least - those back fenders just bolt off like a normal front fender and have shut lines instead of being welded to a greenhouse.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That cadillac ATS they are showing ads for looks pretty cool. The new CUE system for cadillacs is pretty neat.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

^damn sorry about the accident.
In new york you have the plates installed before you go out the dealer. its convenient, but lame if you get a ****** number with 666 in it, because you don't have a choice its all sequential and is given out that way.

I actually want to get a black 430 or 458 someday with a personalized Japanese plate of '6.66' :devil:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
haha, the guy in the thread with the CLK55BS is also a Styleforum member. :eek: The E60 M5 guys hurt their own resale though, they couldn't stop logging into the internet and picking at all the problems and openly exposing all the costs of ownership related to owning the E60. It's also not that bad, depreciation-wise - most larger BMW's depreciate like rocks in general, and the E60 M5 sounds great, but is generally a turd. The internet messageboarding and overblown bad reputations created have killed the resale of a lot of great cars, even the Ferraris and Porsches aren't immune anymore.

xpress

Reaction score

My business partner went to trade in his (financed) 135i last week, which was hit by a large piece of ice falling off a truck a couple of years back.
Front bumper and fender were replaced via the dealer, using genuine BMW parts.
He paid cash, in order to keep the damage off Carfax (dumb move)
Long story short, he got absolutely murdered in trade-in, because apparently BMW can't certify a car they know has been in an "accident".

I'm sure it won't have any impact on your lease return, but something to consider for BMW owners.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

haha, the guy in the thread with the CLK55BS is also a Styleforum member. :eek: The E60 M5 guys hurt their own resale though, they couldn't stop logging into the internet and picking at all the problems and openly exposing all the costs of ownership related to owning the E60. It's also not that bad, depreciation-wise - most larger BMW's depreciate like rocks in general, and the E60 M5 sounds great, but is generally a turd. The internet messageboarding and overblown bad reputations created have killed the resale of a lot of great cars, even the Ferraris and Porsches aren't immune anymore.

Care to explain? Sure, I've read complaints about how the SMG transmission can be clunky and whatnot, but isn't the E60 M5 supposed to be a great car?

I'd love to have one in my stable, someday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads