1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

before i reply, is this the Cars we Drive, or Cars and Penor Size thread?

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

ehhh.. was originally gonna say the former, but fuck it! both (just this one time; don't want to derail the thread)!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

My first BMW love was the 2002 quickly followed by the 3.0 CSL. I just like smaller cars in general. My first BMW was an E36 325i and I was hooked.

I thought the 1 series would take BMW back to the 2002 days since the 3 has steadily gotten bigger and heavier over the years but alas that was not the case.

5s don't impress me. They remind me of the pretty girl's fatter older sister: same gene pool but she's lazier, slower and greedier than her sister. Sure she can carry more groceries but who dates a girl so that she can carry groceries?

The original 6 series was a great friggin car but it is a travesty to what they have done to the current 6 series which is now available in a 4 door model. Ugh

Don't get me started on the 7 series. If you want a land yacht buy a Mercedes

X series was the worst sellout by BMW as far as I am concerned. A BMW SUV? Really?

A M car should not be a status symbol to park outside of starbucks. It should not be available in an automatic just to make it easier for people to drive. PDC on an M? Please. It needs to be a raw machine like the E30 M3. It is supposed to thrill you

A 3er with naturally aspirated engine (don't get me start ranting about forced induction and yes I know there was a turbocharged 2002), rear wheel drive only (x-drive sucks - leave AWD to Audi & Subaru) with as little electronic doodads as possible and 3 pedals is a real BMW to me. Everything else on the road are just poseurs with a roundel

In my humble (read: arrogant) opinion of course [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

^ the 1 is really the spiritual successor to the e30 and e36. It really isn't feasible to make a modern 2002 anymore...with the safety regulations and minimum kit demanded by buyers today, you can't keep the weight down. But I've driven the 1M on the track, it's absolutely fantastic.

And the M cars don't come in automatic. Unless that was a dig at DCT, in which case it's a nonsense comment. I certainly get why people would prefer a manual on a sporting car, but the DCT is a quantum leap in racing technology, not something made for people who can't drive manual

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I've never driver a 1er. I have priced one out online and with my options MSRP would be about $50k.

I was thinking of the E36 M3 cars which were available in A/T. They rectified that particular error with the E46 M3

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

The problem with the GTR is the GPS nannying. Not that I would ever drive that fast on a public road, but I don't want the car to nanny me that much.

Also, frankly, I would buy a C7 at this point.

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Piob, you have a GL right? What do you think of it?

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Love it.

10. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Anyone driven the new Range Rover yet? I've started seeing them around town the last few days. They look much better in person than the pics.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I haven't driven any latest generation yet but did the walk around and sat in the Evoque, LR4, Sport, and Rangie. The old ones are all much nicer than their predecessors. Will probably drive the Evoque and RRS in the next couple of months as it's Mrs. Piob's turn for a new ride this year.

12. suited

suited Senior member

Nice looking, and the interiors - always been a fan. The white leather they offer is beautiful to look at, but completely impractical. I'm having a hard time keeping my gray leather clean as it is. I miss having black leather, and I think as far as interiors are concerned, it's the best option by far. When I sold my GS, the black interior looked like that of a new car (granted, it was well kept).

While the interiors of many of the SUVs here blow away my Tahoe, I'm really enjoying the truck so far. Paying 0% interest doesn't hurt either. The cargo space has also been coming in handy in terms of accommodating us as new home owners for those inevitable purchases of large items. It still really bugs me that the 3rd row seating doesn't fold into the floor, but it is incredibly comfortable to drive - and trips to Naples, Miami, and other short destinations become a pleasure.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Oh, TC, the Rangie has some new package where every damn thing is blacked out including the rims. Can't remember if I liked it or not.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I hear the whippersnappers refer to that as "murdered out" :laugh:

2 people like this.
  15. TC (Houston)

Yeah, no effing way could we do a white interior with a 5 year old! I'm constantly wiping down the black as it is.

Hmm, sounds pretty cool actually. LOL While I really dug the interior pics from the promo materials LR sent us, I was cold on the exterior, looked too long and low for my tastes, and too civilized. I would never buy one of these in the first couple of model years as you know there will be plenty of bugs to work out. And our 2012 is only 6 months old. But I have seen 3 new ones in the last few days, and it appeals to me a lot more than I had expected.

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Saw a Disco with it the other day, looks pretty damn cool and with a car like that all blacked out interior is the best way to go.

They are also offering black headliners now.

17. TC (Houston)

Hmmm, anyone want to suggest some tasteful dark-colored rims for me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Have the OEM ones spayed dark grey.

1 person likes this.
  19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

20. Wolf

Wolf New Member

My Disco had black out wheels before it was cool. :p