1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

In a prius yes. In a BMW with a 3L inline six, not completly. Those cars were purposedly built to cruise at 160 on the Autobahn. When you drive faster, you sacrifice a bit of fuel efficiency for some minutes gained on your final destination and a bit of thrill.

To be fuel efficient, drive a Diesel Passat at 120kmh. Nothing wrong against that. I guess you weren't advocating slow efficient cars driving slow anyway, I see your point.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

haven't seen a ton of these around.

[​IMG]

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

When I was at university there was one that was always parked down the shittiest drug-addled and hooker-ridden streets in the city. Never had a scratch, or anything parked close. No prizes for guessing why.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

One last shot at this...I would think most people that own cars capable of these speeds are of the economic means and/or mindset that fuel efficiency is an exceedingly low priority in both terms of car choice and speed at which said car gets driven over 160mph. I would also think the "thrill" derived from driving 160mph on a public road has an exceedingly small marginal increase by doing 170. That's just a guess as I never plan to do 170 on a public road as I like my body configured as it currently is. ;)

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Saw a nice GT-S for sale the other day, at a good price.

http://bytbil.com/bilar/maserati/quattroporte/wvtf6zrg/A0ABUDIAAY1JeqgAAA__!

69k$ 54k km.

My experience is that you often leave really nice cars in neighborhoods like that and no one will touch them.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'd say this thread is too. 100+ car brands out there and its every 3rd post.

Guy was a great baller. That 30 for 30 was really good. Always loved Vlade, a passing center is great to watch.

7. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I don't care what kind of car you're driving, @ 160mph MPG is severely, severely compromised. Even for a highly geared car like an autobahn bomber in 6th (or 7th), since wind resistance increases more than linearly at higher speeds, the resistance becomes a huge issue.

Proof from Auto Bild, a German auto publication:

Edit: image paste didn't work, here's a link

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/fuel_consumptio.html

A BMW diesel drops from about 35mpg to about 12mpg, between 50 and 155mph.

2 people like this.
  8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Thanks for the info. I always wondered what kind of drop you'd get across a speed range.

9. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

I was talking about kilometer per hour with mph in parenthesis btw. Sorry if I made myself unclear.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

At 50 MPH a car might require 20 horsepower to operate, but 100 MPH might require 120 HP, its not a linear scale and fuel consumption follows that that curve. Gearing manages to reduce the engine speed at higher MPH but it eventually hits a wall with wind resistance and then MPG drops thru the floor.

I remember reading somewhere that 50 MPH is the most efficient speed to dive for most cars.

Interesting, the Bugatti Veyron is rated at 15 MPG highway, but gets 2 MPG at its top speed. It would empty an entire fuel tank in 12 minutes, you'd get 50 miles down the road.

11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I drive a '13 LR4 with the luxury package, premium sound, etc. Love it to pieces. That said, there's a part of me that misses having more of a car, as Land Rovers definitely drive like trucks. (I went from BMW to Land Rover.) I'll be interested to see how the '14 remodeled X5 hits. The first leaked images I saw did not appeal to me, but I have a feeling it'll get better.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Some car physics: power is proportional to the cube of speed. So if it takes you 20 HP to maintain 50 MPH, doubling the speed to 100 MPH requires at least 8 times (2^3) as much power, or 80 HP, all else being equal.

What is more relevant for everyday driving is that kinetic energy is proportional to the square of your speed. Go 2x as fast, and you are using at least 4x as much energy. This becomes a big problem for braking. To brake to a complete stop, you will need lots more room for a higher speed relative to a lower speed. If you can stop in 100 feet from 60 MPH, to stop from 120 MPH needs at least 400 feet.

I use the weasel words "at least" a lot because many other things are affected, and not all other things are held constant. For example, your brakes now need to dissipate four times as much heat as before, and may be inadequate (inadequate cooling, fluid boiling, pad fade, etc.), and that may affect your stopping distance. Or your tires may not deal well with an extended deceleration (they overheat and lose traction).

For that M5 crash, I'd say they were more lucky than saved by the car. Certainly the car helps a lot, but they were lucky they did not meet a tree or telephone pole, because the outcome would almost certainly have been much worse.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

1/2 and 1/2.

I had a Saab 900 turbo years ago, crashed it and was lucky to live.

It was raining and I was on a beltway exit, the car tried to swap ends on me and as I turned into the skid the car jumped on the grass which is like a skating rink in the wet, no deceleration.

In retrospect I might have been smarter to let the car rotate, who knows, but on the grass was a tall light post which I struck sideways directly into my B pillar.

So, 1/2 was luck that it hit that exact spot and not a foot forward but the other 1/2 is the fact that that Saab was built like a tank.

Anyone see that top gear where they drop a Saab and BMW on its roof? They built their pillars so strong that when they went rallying they didn't need a roll cage.

This is part 2 of a great video on a brand that's unfortunately no more (part 2 has the roof crash):

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/a-tribute-to-saab-part-2-series-18-episode-5

Part 1 is here, but the roof crash test is in part 2 above, so if you want to see the whole thing (worth watching) start here, the 99 turbo is my favorite:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/a-tribute-to-saab-part-1-series-18-episode-5

1 person likes this.
  14. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So for the family guys around here, what is the best 3-row? GL, Explorer, Pilot, other?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm no math genius, but 20 cubed is 8000, not 80.

16. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Probably the GL. The new one is handsome as well. Motor Trend SUV of the year.

17. jet

jet Senior member

See gtrs all the time, hideous monstrosities.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

FYI, it won the same award in its original iteration too.

19. A Y

A Y Senior member

It's not the cube of the actual horsepower but the cube of the multiple the speed increased by, and I did have a mistake in there, too:

100MPH/50MPH = 2. 2^3 = 8 is the increase in horsepower needed. So if it takes 20 HP to maintain 50 MPH, it takes 8*20HP = 160 HP to maintain 100 MPH.

If we want to quadruple the speed, it takes 4*4*4=64 times more horsepower.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Everyone's thoughts on the Jeep SRT8?

[​IMG]