Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

Some are better than others. Generally, the more expensive ones (eg. Cool Carbons) are better than the cheap ones (eg. Akebonos). YMMV. I'd stick with OEMs.

2. razl

razl Senior member

When I was romping my CTS-V a few years back with massive four corner brembos (corner braking was as much fun as accelerating out) I switched to Hawk Performance pads (http://www.hawkperformance.com/) primarily for dust reasons and never looked back. Feel and performance were comparable to OEM with - no joke - 20% or less the dust of the OEMs. That, plus I found a wheel cleaner with teflon in it (that's what it screamed on the label) and that seemed to help bleed off dust as well.

YMMV and there may be better products out there since, but those two items worked wonders for me.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

this is essentially the only reason i want to upgrade to ceramic on my xk.

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

where to kop?

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

No enough :fu: , damn garbage truck hit my car. Hopefully there isn't any structural damage and just have to replace the rear fender, wheel and bumper.
    I haven't even received my plate for this car yet. :censored:

Crappy iphone pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Damn that sucks and it being black just makes it worse.

You haven't received your plates yet, WTF?

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah they lost the plates in the mail, I never received it so I had to ask for new ones and that has been 2 months already. :brick:

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

They send plates in the mail lucky bastard, last I heard it took 4 hours at the DMV to get new plates here.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah I was in a Z4 forum that has mainly Euro members and I noticed that their new cars already has plates as drive off the dealership and I was surprised that buying a car in Euro is so different in the US. Apparently you can't really go to the dealership, buy the car and drive home in a new one. At least that is the cases with BMW dealerships where you pretty much have to order the car and wait for it to be built and delivered for you to be picked up.

Here in the US, you go to the dealership and within a few hours you could be driving home with a brand new car. And they mail the plates to you and could take 30-60 days, in the meantime they put a registration sticker on the windshield so we get to drive the car w/o plates for a little while.

As for my car, looks like the body panels alone is $1k and with body work/paint and work hours with a new wheel, I am looking at at least $3k. My biggest concern is body damage, rear axle and if the mechanical roof will be affected (apparently this is very sensitive and the slightest hit could cause it to malfunction).

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

ouch. not good.

you buying this or leasing?

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It's a lease (will replace it with the new Cayman or 911 when done) so hopefully it won't be a problem once I return it. Should there be any concern with value when it's leased? I know it'll take a hit if I were trying to sell it myself but I'm not sure if there are repercussions when it is leased.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

no, in this case it's good that it's leased. otherwise you take the diminished value hit along with the repair cost

you shouldn't get hassled when you turn it in if it's been repaired to a reasonable spec

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Thanks, at least that is one thing I don't have to worry about.

I'd have to take it up to my insurance and they'll cover everything and then they'll try and get the money reimbursed by the broke City of LA so chances are the case might still be open by the time I return the car. I'd definitely take it to a certified BMW repair center and get it fixed back to brand new condition, it's such a huge hassle though.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Man, that's the thing I hate about body damage to your car. Even if it's fixed to a satisfactory state, you'll still lose value on the car if (when) it's reported to Carfax and you try to sell it. Insurance should cover that diminished value.. although it'd be hard to calculate.

15. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

I'm not sure how much does it cost without insurance to fix that but in some cases it is much cheaper than the value that you gonna lost when trying reselling it due to the Carfax. I did that with my Toyota, not sure about German car tho :dozingoff: