1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I totally agree with that. Hard work requires nice toys to make it all worthwhile. Still, hard not to think of all that bank you could save. I'm having one of those, "If I just had super low overhead I could maybe stop working" type weeks. :laugh:

1 person likes this.
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This.

I view a car as a total wash. As a kid, I had a bedroom wall totally covered in cutouts from Road & Track and would eagerly await every issue at the supermarket and sneak it into my moms cart. People who don't have any passion for cars don't understand it. I remember when the Porsche 959 came out. They did an cutout view of that car in the magazine and I remember studying that thing forever. I still remember details from it today.

These were the days when info was hard to come by and you might see a supercar once a year. In a way it was a more exciting time. What's the point of slinging burgers if you can't enjoy some stuff?

The 959 probably remains my favorite supercar ever.

The diagram was very similar to this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

no...... It's a benz.

It's the new mini CLS, bmw is brining out a matching 3/4 series.

5. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

Nick Faldo had one of them (maybe he still does). I saw it parked at Wentworth watching the PGA one time. Had the number plate "211 NF" - two times on the 11th and his initials. Then a scorned girlfriend took a 9 iron to it. Heartbreaking!

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

She needs a lobotomy.

Boris Becker had one, too. If I recall so did Bill Gates and Paul Allen, theirs were seized for like a decade before some law changed to allow them in.

This car was just intended as an engineering exercise. I think there were only ever a few hundred made.

7. Vickt

Vickt Senior member

The BMW equivalent to the Merc CLA will be the 2 series GT - 4 door coupe

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

There was some Japanese guy who did tons and tons of the cutaway car drawings that are floating around out there. Forgot his name, but he is a legend, and to think, he was doing these back in the 70's and 80's with simply pen and paper. They have a lot of books of just these drawings.

9. Desi

Desi Senior member

Those drawings remind me of those "how the future would look like" books I used to pour over when I was in grade school. Mapped out plans of make-believe technology and housing diagrams.

On a car note. The new Dodge Dart GT looks amazing in the front but the charger back could go. Have to agree with a Autoblog poster that the Dart would make a beautiful hatchback.

1 person likes this.
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I used to spend hours drawing cars. Side profiles mainly. Everything was based on the Countach though. What a magic car. Especially the early ones.

[​IMG]

11. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

I was thinking last time and thought the Lamborghini Countach LP-400, like the one posted, was among my favorite design for a production car. I was already daydreaming of one completly refurbished yith a recent Lamborghini engine, everything upgraded, rear view camera etc... Then I'd go grocery shopping with it.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

13. impolyt_one

The CLA is FWD and A-class based, so it will be most equivalent to a BMW 1/2 series. It's not the same segment as the 4GC, which will probably be close to twice as expensive if decked out in 435i GC form. They were saying low $30K's USD for the CLA, the 4GC will probably start in the $40K's and go up to almost $60KUSD

1 person likes this.
  14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

They have changed the size and segment since, they first started talking about it then.

If both BMW and MB are bringing out small salons, I wonder if Audi is going to bring out their A3 sedan concept.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  15. impolyt_one

they're making that A3 sedan for the US, aka wagon/hatchback haters.

16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

when the USA starts charging $9.00/gallon for gas and $7.00/gallon for diesel the americano's will fall head over heels for small hatchbacks and wagons.

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

We pay $5-7 a gallon now, can't imagine $9.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I like high gas prices as it tends to lighten traffic out.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I remember driving up to Montreal last year and forgetting to fill the car up with diesel before hitting the canadian border. I had this assumption that since Canada is now a huge oil exporter that they'd have lower gas prices (at least for diesel) and was kind of bummed out how much they taxed per gallon. I think it was something like $5.80/gallon (granted it was the summer and a gas station in the middle of Montreal City) :eek:

NYC/NYS has high gas prices too... people end up just driving to NJ to fill up (with some of the lowest prices in the US).

20. Vickt

Vickt Senior member

+1

Although Find Finn you say no, then basically agree... CLA is the A class in 4 door coupe form, both using the MFA platform, and we probably won't get the hatch in US. Just like we won't get the A3 hatch, which is a travesty. In fact the A3 sedan is probably going to be built in Mexico... will they even be able to do Euro delivery on that? Oh well I never liked Audi anyway. Even the S cars are too soft and disconnected.

It is a tad muddled though between BMW 1 and 2 series. The new 1 series will be a FWD 4 door and share the F56 MINI platform. 2 series will be RWD 2 door with a 4 door coupe variant, but is still a compact... and by compact I mean modern BMW size wise so like the same size as an E46. The 4 series is probably meant to compete with the C class coupe up to the E350 coupe in Merc and the A5/S5.