Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I have no clue about his driving, but no.

It was public city roads and not mine, but a car like that should give you smile just from sitting in it, as you are not barrelling down the autobahn most of the time.

Either you're wife has done well for herself or she has rich parents, which is a win win especially if she likes cars.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

she was on TV for awhile, not anymore though. Now doesn't really care about cars, we look at the used car listings and she tells me to buy anything with 4 wheels anymore.

genuine concern though, I am too young to expire; thinking of buying like a used C200 or an E250 CDI wagon for her to drive so that we can live a full life :lookaround:

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

well, the 458 felt incredible just cruising on the highway and gently accelerating from stoplights. my heart was pounding going up the onramps. that V8 howled nonstop about five feet behind my head and was just unbelievable. cornering feel was outstanding, and this was the only car I've ever driven with better steering than my GT3...actually come to think of it, it brings everything to the table that the GT3 does, only better in every way. I understand why motor trend calls this the best driver's car you can buy today.

one point scored for BMW though - their DCT on my M3 is every bit as good as the dual clutch on the Italia.

Ive never driven a 360 but the F355 in its day was very similar to the feel of the 458 Italia...it's just everything is dated and about 7/10ths of the latter. did Ferrari lose its way so badly with the 360? the Challenge Stradale is widely considered one of the best modern Ferraris, but dunno about the "base" one.

4. ExAngel

ExAngel Senior member

2002 volvo s40. ready to sell it and get into something a little more current. I probably wont get a new volvo though... expensive maintenance, and i'm not crazy about the new designs.

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So besides looks, why choose one over the other? The Panamera looks just as massive to me as the XJ, but they are both supposedly sporty and relatively lightweight.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

He wanted an opinion of getting one over the other, so I gave mine. Personally, I wouldn't have either but in choosing between the two I'd get the Panamera based on my own experience with the brand.

7. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Keith, I took the accord. Much smoother ride (and the windows work). Really miss the zip of the civic though!

8. impolyt_one

I had a CX hatchback and drove it bone stock for awhile too, I miss it like that, really wailing on it and slamming gears - doing -0-60 in like 13 seconds, lol. I am not saying that facetiously, i really miss having a little go-kart car that you could feel you were wailing on, but never get into trouble in. :eek: Rarely see that generation of Civic in Japan anymore, I've only seen 3 since coming to Tokyo this time. They were all fully loaded SiR II's with every bit and bobble on them, didn't remind me of my old car so much.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So which would you get? The S-class just strikes me as a bit too staid and common, the A8 is interesting, but something about it doesn't work for me, the QP is gorgeous but a depreciation nightmare and overly expensive to service.

10. rocks

rocks Senior member

The Panamera should be more reliable plus it is a better drivers car than the XJ.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

11. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

valid, i worry about my girl's driving anxiety in her little mazda3, gotta get her out of that thing asap, she wants something bigger but I dont want to have her be the typical little american wifey in the big SUV and she refuses the thought of a wagon...the crossover thing is a fad but kind of perfect, i like the Tiguan, Q5, X3 for her but she's always taking long looks at the lexus RX

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I chose the S63 - it's not as staid or common as the S550, and it has lots of get up and go. The S8 is the only Audi worth considering, IMO, but it's not available in the States until probably late fall and I wasn't willing to wait. The Maserati is gorgeous but the lack of dealer network in my area struck it if off my list.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

CX EGs were the perfect candidates for motor swaps because they had zero options and were the lightest varianta, finding them were like gold.

14. impolyt_one

from my research, the newer facelift QP's should be reasonably reliable, the older ones were just afflicted by a transmission that had an appetite for clutches; the newer Automatica ones all have ZF boxes and should be pretty much as reliable as a German car. They're fairly unsophisticated machines, just a nice motor and beautiful exterior/interior.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

spotted these bad boys in nyc. they parked near the chicken and rice / halal guys carts (I'm sure you guys in nyc know them). out of all the cars stepped out decked out black dudes

1. aston martin (not sure which model it was)
    2. sl63 amg
    3. gallardo spyder
    4. F430 spider
    5. R8 V10 -- actually not sure if it's the v10.. the wheels lead me to believe it's the regular v8, unless he swapped them out
    6. not pictured -- a maserati gransturismo rolled up later too.. that sounded the sexiest, IMO.

god, i fucking love nyc. gotta live here ASAP

[​IMG]