Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I drove a 458 Italia today. Fucking incredible....it defies description. I'll have pics once i fly home to my computer or if I can ever figure out how to attach pics from an iPhone

3. dzynr78

dzynr78 Senior member

impolyt_one, The e24 is such a design icon, IMO. The negative profile of that nose is so cool. Gold on gunmetal FTW! Such a nice combo.

HRoi, Thanks man. Gettin paid to draw cars and work on clay models all day isn't too bad.:)
    I'm going to be as ambiguous and descriptive as possible? Lower, wider, longer and lighter-at least for VAG.
    Ya, the group is doing very good work right now. Good design does make a big difference. One thing I'm not too thrilled about is the VW/Audi cues that are being sprinkled over all of the brands. For example, that horrendous Bentley suv concept, that was recently shown, has way too many elements that you'd see on an Audi or VW. Some of the surfacing, detail treatment and shut lines are too similar for my taste. If you look at the Rolls Royce lineup, there are ZERO bmw cues on them. Mini, again, no bmw.
    Ha! Porsche...what can you really do though? They did that hideous 996 and all Porsche enthusiasts(including me) damn near revolted! Then they went backwards, in a way, with the 997 but damn, they're pretty! And the 991-don't care for the fact that it grew 100mm in the wheelbase but again, beautiful. Especially the rear end.

akatsuki, I'd have to say XJ. I have so many issues with that car, visually, but its presence on the road is just awesome. The rear end is absolute shit, the stupid black c-post is really irritating, and the front end looks kinda odd from some angles but I love it! The panamera is such a fat, sloppy looking pig but man does that thing perform. Pigs do fly!

The XF should not have the privilege of wearing the jaguar marque. So goddamn generic it pisses me off. LOL at the tiny erection!

impolyt_one, the jetta facelift is being worked on as I type, so it generally gets done a little after the initial release of the car. For a next gen product, that generally happens about 3 years before the release, depending on the product and manufacturer of course.
    it takes a long ass time to get something on the road. I've always been involved in concept or 'vision' projects so I haven't experienced the joy of seeing one of my designs on the road yet.

Green Frog, thanks man!

Sorry for the fucking novel, guys. I just love car design..can you tell?

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Congrats on the new job. Hopefully you can do something about Hondas terrible designs, I haven't seen a Honda that I've really liked in a very long time. The Accord coupe looks good but the next gen they revealed looks terrible. They use too many fake plastic chrome/aluminum too.

5. dzynr78

dzynr78 Senior member

Thanks rfx45! Besides the increase in pay, that's the main reason I'm going there. They're in really bad shape right now. During the 90's, Honda was the shit! My first 3 cars were Hondas so they have a special place in my heart.
    I'll do what I can and I'll keep you guys posted.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

thanks for this. 993 and 997 are probably the best 911 design for me and all joking aside, I'm cool with the shape staying true to form. I'm a 997 owner myself so I'm biased about that being the best looking modern 911.

also very much looking forward to the Gallardo replacement. lower, wider and lighter sound good to me :slayer:

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I had reason to be at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan a few years ago. Got the full tour including a ride on the track. What amazed me were the stories about design decisions, and the concepts they allowed me to see. Kinda wish I had a job in the industry.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i thought the same about the 430. Cant imagine a 458.

9. dzynr78

dzynr78 Senior member

Nice! You're a lucky guy, the 997 is such a beauty. Before the 997 was introduced, I was all about the 993. It's just such a beautiful car and it retained the general proportions of the original. Now, I'm back and forth between the 993 and 997. I guess it just depends on how I feel that day..

The next gallardo will be fucking badass. I promise.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

does Lambo have a choice?

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I'm a "little" bit jealous of your job, congrats.

Haven't tried any of the new Ferraris, but the 360 spyder, was a big disapointment for me and I'm not a big Ferrari guy to begin with.

Photobucket iphone app.

No

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Why was the 360 so disappointing for you?

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The over all feel if it, didn't speak to me as you would expect a ferrari etc. would it was sort of a flat feeling walking away from it.

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

did you really get to lay into it, junior varsity test drive style? I haven't driven a Ferrari yet but I get the impression that they get better when you're really flying, or so my wife told me about her old 360. Kind of intimidating thought, actually. I will have to ride shotgun with this woman sometimes...

15. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

haha thats not a bad problem to have