Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

This makes absolutely no sense.

New cars these days can't last 10 years?

Comparing the computers and electronics on our house to cars?

2. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I am pretty sure a Honda Accord EX would last 10+ years if taken care of... BMW and Merc are built on luxury and gadgets today, not built like a tank pre 90's. I would probably only lease a German car. I still have my parents first computer, Packard Bell with a Pentium processor. Monitor, speakers, and everything works flawless.

3. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

i have more confidence in a 1988 E30 BMW to last 20 years and still function with minimal repairs than a 2008 E90 BMW to last 20 years and still function with minimal repairs
    thats what im saying... the newer cars are too complex and most people just trade them in after warranty is expired because they dont want to be left holding a 1.5 ton pile of steel thats worth $15k costs 3000$ to repair a bad sunroof or something

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Most cars aren't that complex and majority of the people in the world aren't buying Benzes, BMWs , Audis, etc... with crazy electronics and systems. The best selling car is a Camry, thing is boring as hell and it'll give you hundreds of thousands of miles.

This thread is just too baller so your views are skewed but most problems are blown out of proportion, a case were the negatives are highlighted while the goods are ignored. For evey bad BMW, Benz, Audi... out there there are probably a hundred good ones. I see plenty of BMWs with 100K+ miles and never had a problem other than the usual wear and tear.

And Lexus still ranks #1 in dependability and reliability according to JD & Power for 2012 and Lexus tends to be loaded with techs and it'll likely give you a good 500k miles easily. Porsche is #2 and Cadillac is #3. Benz is #6.

And BMW is actually more notorious with their electronics back in the day than today. The same way domestic cars these days are much improved and not worth their notoriety from the past anymore.

I'm just saying, it's ridiculous to believe that new cars will not last 10 years when tech and materials are just so much better, not just what is used in the car but what is used to build them as well.

5. junior varsity

the reason i dont like most cars and i dont want to be like most people... like you said... they are the ones who drive a boring accord and camry just to stroll to work, then by the time they have kids at 30-40 they switch to a mini-van and then disappear from society and die... those are the same people who accept their fate of making 40 thousand a year and a 2%/annual performance raise.

6. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I am the type of person who would buy a new Miata (Don't intend to have kids, as in impossible) for a daily driver and drive the wheels off it. Then lease something cool, like a Porsche or Ferrari for Friday-Saturday. But Merc/BMW repairs/services can cost allot for how fast they depreciate, I see hard to buy one and I love the SL.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  7. junior varsity

so you lease something cool to drive it only 2 days a week while paying to lease a minimum of 5000 miles a year (porsche's minimum)
    that makes no sense man...
    you lease the DD and you buy an exotic lol

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

What does that have to do with the topic? The discussion was that new cars wouldn't last 10 years, so what does it have to do with you wanting to be a baller?

And what the hell is wrong with people accepting to live within their means? I personally wouldn't want to do that but I respect them for living a happy life and being satisfied with what they have. I wish I didn't want a new car every 3 years, I wish my clothes are enough to last me my lifetime, I wish I never have to buy another cpu ever in my life. I envy people who can do that, just living a happy life with their families w/o worrying about being a millionaire or whether they "disappear from society" (whatever that means). You certainly have no right to look down on them like you are any better.

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

That has nothing to do with it not lasting and everything to do with the extraordinarily high markup on import parts and labor. I have a friend who works at a Mazda/Volkswagen dealer. They automatically markup the parts to 300% their cost.

He obviously doesn't know much about electronics. There are 20-30 year old planes flying with original components and electronics just fine. In fact, all machines with embedded systems like that are designed for that.

10. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Cars these days are more reliable then ever.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Exactly, he acts like new cars software has to be updated for it to work properly like it's an ipod. :lol:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  12. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Possibly... I have never looked into leasing. But I would do what ever makes financial since. Loose as little money as possible to drive some truly awesome cars. Yet having a new fun car every 2-4 years. I could not find much info on Porsche lease, but $4999 down and $865 a month. Probably cheaper a way to do it. Nelson Cambata founder of Starport (part of Cambata Aviation Group), would go through Lambo and Ferrari every 6-8 months. He even owned a Bugatti at some point. I recall years ago, when my family was close with him he did not lose much money and some even made money on the sale.

13. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

invest the cash, chances are with car deals now you can return more than the interest saved by using the cash
    the key is not to get upside down, make sure the car is worth 20% more than you owe
    I'd rather have the cash and use the banks money, let them have the risk

apparently, you have not learned or over leveraged yourself
    there is no single answer without knowing all conditions/paramters, sometimes perhaps cash, sometimes finance

14. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

the e30 M3 was maintenance intensive, I had one, put well over 125k miles on it
    it has mechanical valve actuation, requires adjustment with shims, basically every 20k, it's a $1500 job (unless you can do it yourself, pretty complicated)

the newer cars are better in every way
    much faster
    cheaper (look at a e92 M3 base vs e30 inflation adjusted)
    much safer
    more robust
    lower maintenance
    better efficiency
    better materials and mfg tolerances
    every single parameter

15. junior varsity

i think e46 m3 had valve adjustment requirements that was only Inspection II aka 50k...
    how you figure old school cars vs new cars and old cars are cheaper?
    older cars ran on 15 inch rims... the tires are like $50 each! compared to new cars running on 18 and 19s where each tires like 150-200
    so for the cost of 1 tire... you can buy the entire set
    it didnt have 14 inch brake rotors...
    i think old school rotors cost like 30 bucks a pop from tirerack or zeckhausen if you dont buy oem...
    thats just 2 things and i havent even gone to electronics...