Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

they are taking it even further
    they will build one power unit chassis section
    and one for the rear
    and put different length bodies on them, different engines, etc., also the track width can be configured

eg, Audi may build the A1/2/3 on the same platform sections, same for 4/5/6/7, 8 is on it's own
    at least that is where they are heading

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It's still provides more option though and some cars do drive differently or functions differently. I mean just look at the number of manufacturers in the 60s and 70s in comparison to today where there are just so many to choose from. Look for a car int he $21k-$25k range and you probably have about 20 or so to choose from. If you have the equivalent money back in the day, how many choices are there? Probably not even 10, I admit I am no expert but I'd be surprise if the number of choices comes even close, in the US at least.

Last edited: May 20, 2012

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

That is doubtful on a good day, as the cars will overlap each other and the price will be to close, also the smaller cars have transverse engines and the bigger ones have long lying.

Yeah agreed, I just picked the worst of the worst examples, I'm big "fan" for them building cars on the same platform and reusing engines, as it you say creates options and they create great cars in different spec/quality/price levels.

20 is a low number, it's more like 30 at least in Europe.

4. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

I read it this month in Audi USA's magazine
    autoweek also covered it, not only Audi, but BMW and others are moving towards it

the transverse vs longitudal is what will seperate the classes
    price is close noe
    1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8
    30k to 100k for 8 classes with a few model/variations in each, that is pretty fine resolution
    you can buy a loaded 4 that will equal or exceed a base 6

5. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

MQB – the bread and butter

FWD/AWD, transverse-engine architecture

The majority of VW Group's volume models will sprout from MQB, starting first with the 2013 Audi A3 that debuted at this year's Geneva show; following the A3 this fall will be the all-new MkVII Volkswagen Golf. Both the A3 and the Golf will sprout numerous variants with a smattering of choices of door counts, body styles, and roofs. Since the majority of the models underpinned by the MQB will wear the VW badge, it comes as little surprise to anyone that Volkswagen's engineering team has the lead on platform development here. The planned models to spawn from MQB are listed here:

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1204_deep_dive_volkswagen_group_product_plans/viewall.html#ixzz1vRiQfwiO

they plan on basically 3 classes, call it small/medium/large. with much interchange between them

the above platform will be used for:
    polo
    golf
    tiguan
    passat
    jetta
    scirocco
    Audi TT
    A3

both fwd and awd
    and this is the first step, by 2018 the plan is to have only 2 main groups for all cars except the R8/A8

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I'm well aware of the fact that a fully loaded A4 3.0tdi is the same as a base A6 2.0T, but I still don't think they will combine the platforms.

They class cars on their size and the 3door A3 is a good bit smaller than the A4, so building them on the same platform wouldn't be possible.

There's no A2, and it wont return, as it's not needed and the gap between A1 and A3 is too small for a A2.

A1 is on the same platform as Seat Ibiza, VW Polo and Skoda Fabia etc.
    A3/Q3 is on the same platform as VW Golf, VW Tiguan, VW Jetta Seat Leon and Skoda Octavia etc.
    A4/A5/Q5 is on the same platform as VW Passat etc.
    A6/A7 is the platform
    A8 is on the same platform as the Bentley Continental

They have done this since the 70's Golf 1 and Audi 50 etc.

That's a a lot of cars to make on 2 or 3 platforms and the smallest of them are around 4m and the biggest is 5.20m

7. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

they already have combined, or are planning to, combine the platforms
    as I posted above
    the polo A1/golf A3/passat A4 are on the same platform

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The key words are modular and components, they already share engines, wheels, seats etc. across the lines, so like I said it's nothing new for parts to be interchangeable and I read the article as they would share parts, as they do now, just more focused.

If they did what you say, the joke would come true, xerox cars.

9. Sly Tendencies

Sly Tendencies Member

10. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

it has come true
    it's the platform or architecture (subframes, floor pan, etc.), not only the major components
    it's not what I say, it is what VAG is actually doing

The product offensive

Nearly all of Volkswagen's future models will be developed from one of only three new modular architectures: MQB, for all FWD/AWD cars with transversely mounted engines (except the Up! which is a decontented mix of old and new elements); MLB, for all FWD/AWD models with longitudinally installed drivetrains; and MSB, for all RWD/AWD models with front-, mid- and rear-mounted engines. This system saves space, weight, assembly time, engineering work, complexity, and above all cost. The savings can be from just under 20 to well over 30 percent.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1204_deep_dive_volkswagen_group_product_plans/viewall.html#ixzz1vRpg5ivb

Porsche is owned by VW now

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Christ, I would like 4.5m of car.

The porsche thing isn't new.

12. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

I know the Porsche thing isn't new, a couple of years ago, iirc
    what is new is that their products will be integrated with the Group (well, I guess it was the same with the 924/914 stuff), hence the inclusion of rear engined in the new architecture, afaik, they are the only rear engined car made today?

13. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

i just realized my decision to pursue an M6...
    the mpg is exotic hyper car bad...
    people reporting single digit mpgs combined and a max mpg of 17 on highway cruising at low speeds...
    :decisions:

14. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I thought you worked from home?

15. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

That doesn't mean I don't go anywhere meng...