Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

We were just talking about the headlights, which stays the same on the M models.

2. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

i dont see any headlight problems...
    what i do see are issue with non-M's bumpers and side skirts being too bland...
    M's aero package makes the car more muscular and :inlove:

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Like I said, to me it looks awkward and weird.
    The M bodykit just makes BMW more tolerable.
    The new F30, F10 and F12 are all ugly to ok looking but with the M-Sport body kit, they look 10 times better although the F30 still cannot be saved.
    I hope the new 3-series coupe doesn't follow suit with the F30.

4. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

i have been a life time BMW enthusiast...
    so i am biased

5. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I feel cars today are designed for rap videos and there followers, then the PlayStation group... Most of these cars will probably never be sought after classics. I don't get a feeling of class, style, or most importantly passion in the mainstream cars. Even some of the exotic are getting blah.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Define passion?

Because the engines these days are almost a work of masterpiece, especially on supercars. The hp and tq they manage to squeeze out of small engines and the intricacies of some of these V10 and V12 engines is amazing. The GTRs twin-turbo V6, which nos boasts 545hp is simply astonishing. It's all handmade by one person, just like AMG engines, so some even say no two engines are alike.

Then there's the integration of new materials to make cars lighter w/o sacrificing the integrity of the build. I mean just look at the deatils on this Pagani Huayra.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I see still think we are at a great time when it comes to cars. We still have access to the old ones that set the stage. I see a lot of passion and enthusiasm in the cars today. I don't necessary like it that everyone is going electric or hybrid (even supercars) but the engineering is still something to behold.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The C and E class are common as taxis around here, yeah I know :eh:

I found the e-class doorsides are flat and cardboardy, but I'm just being picky.

The big 35cdi is slower and less fuel efficient than the equivalent bmw.

8. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I was mostly referring to mainstream cars with a major lack of passion compared to the 60's and 70's... Exotics still have it but some of them due to safety regulations are not faring so well.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Really not fair to compared since in Europe, your domestic cars are the norm and it seems like a Ford Focus is highly regard, the equivalent of an Audi to us here in the US. A Ford is typically shitted on here. :lol: Well not so much anymore because they've actually improved and stolen Euro designs. Have you seen the new Fusion? At the Autoshow I attended I actually heard several people confusing it as a new Aston sedan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2012

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I disagree but there are only a handful of 60s or 70s car I'd take over many of the cars selection of today. Selection is just much bigger these days while in the 60s & 70s you barely had any choices in a certain price range. I understand where you're coming from but I just do not find it as true in my point of view.

11. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

One car today is built on 10+ platforms... Still not really a huge selection. But sadly they did that a lot in the 60-70's also, just not as bad.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That makes no sense. Even if the Cayenne is built from the Q7 platform, you still get a different SUV.

Plus there are way more car companies these days. In the 60's/70's, you are limited to a handful. Today you even have different divisions within each company. Yeah the Camry is the same platform as an ES but as I said, you still get a different car.

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

We get it here as well it's just called Mondeo.

The Focus is a good little car and cheap/less expensive option for the golf, but it's a hard niche with the Alfa Guiletta, Citroen DS4, Golf, A3, Leon etc. etc. so they need to be good.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

are 60's and 70's cars better looking or have more character than today's? debatable I guess. yes, you have your Jag E types and Gullwings and Cadillac Fleetwoods of yesteryear....but today you have Gallardos and 458 Italias and Audi S5's and Genesis coupes

one thing is a fact though - yesterday's cars flat out suck compared to today's. performance, comfort, features, safety, even cost of ownership if you adjust for inflation

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The Cayenne is a bad example, but if we keep to the VAG group on some of their smaller cars it's basically the trim and the body panels that differs one car from the other, everything underneath is the same.

VW
    [​IMG]

Skoda
    [​IMG]

Seat
    [​IMG]

Some the older versions are even worse like the Lupo, Arosa and the Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra and VW Sharan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's the same with Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo, GM, Ford etc. does the same thing.