• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
they actually have both VINs, the original BMW one literally gets 'X'ed out with an awl and they just attach an Alpina one under it on the front tower, haha.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I alone or does the interior matter much more than the exterior with cars?

Example: choosing between the A8 and Pheaton - The VW has the more horrible steering wheel I've ever seen and the most uninviting cockpit I've seen. Used they are the same price, but I'd never take the VW because it feels like a car from the 90's.

It feels like a car from the 90's because the Phaeton is a car from the 90's. I do however disagree with you that it is uninviting for me it was the most comfortable and refined cabin of any car I have had including the F02 BMW 7 I have now. Personally I prefer beige interiors with wood for large cars and black interiors for sports cars. Most phaetons you see have an unattractive grey interior.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It feels like a car from the 90's because the Phaeton is a car from the 90's. I do however disagree with you that it is uninviting for me it was the most comfortable and refined cabin of any car I have had including the F02 BMW 7 I have now. Personally I prefer beige interiors with wood for large cars and black interiors for sports cars. Most phaetons you see have an unattractive grey interior.

First Phaeton was built in 2002. It never got the plaudits it deserved, many luxury buyers didnt want a VW on the front. In fact, it sold more cars in Germany than combined anywhere else. Without the limiter it does 200mph. Its really a fantastic car, the chairman of VW gave the engineers a list of 10 parameters that the car must meet, some examples:

- The cabin should heat up in no more than 3 1/2 mins
- Should be capable of being driven at 186 mph for 8 hours with an exterior temperature of 122 deg while maintaining an interior temperature of 72 deg
- The car should possess torsional rigidity of 37,000 N·m/degree so the frame would maintain its rigidity over time and miles
- The air conditioner was to be draftless
- There would be no lift or vibration at 186 mph

Anyway, the Phaeton is one of the best cars ever built, in fact I considered it when I got my Audi but they didnt sell it in the US anymore by then. Its basically the same platform as the A8, rock solid.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEwNzA0Mjg

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently the best market for the Phaeton is China I am told they sell very well there still.

Although production started on 2002 the design was started in the late 90's and Ferdinand Piëch whose parameters you mention was as proud of its design as he was of the Porsche 917 and has one himself as does the Pope.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I thought it was the basis for the Bentley Continental rather than the A8?

Apart from the steering wheel I like it, and you can pick up a used one for about £8,000 here, which makes it a damn sight cheaper than almost any new hatchback you can name. Upkeep costs on the other hand are going to be high, but I'd take that hit just to have the luxury on hand every day.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The VAG group base all of their cars on a 5-7 platform

F.ex. The golf is build on the same platform as Octavia, Leon and A3, it's the same thing all the way up.

It's only Bugatti and Lamborghini who have their own and the gallardo shares engine with and navi with Audi.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The VAG group base all of their cars on a 5-7 platform
F.ex. The golf is build on the same platform as Octavia, Leon and A3, it's the same thing all the way up.
It's only Bugatti and Lamborghini who have their own and the gallardo shares engine with and navi with Audi.

I think the Lambo also shares some electrics. Porsche even shares some platform. I was looking at a 911 the other day and it has the exact same headlight switch that Audi has.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cayenne, q7 and touareg are al build on the platform, so I'm not surprised.

One if the ford era Astons, has the same centre console as a Volvo

mike1445

Reaction score
Test drove the new touareg while my car was in for service, don't have experience with other new SUVs other than the new explorer for comparison but it drove incredibly, very agile for it size. That new RNS 510(maybe 550?) Was great as well.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cayenne, q7 and touareg are al build on the platform, so I'm not surprised.
One if the ford era Astons, has the same centre console as a Volvo

People tend to think this is bad or cheap but its not. The more cars with the same **** the more problems that get solved and the increase in reliability.

I get a laugh out of people complaining that Bentley shares platform with VAG, couldnt be more stupid.

mike1445

Reaction score

People tend to think this is bad or cheap but its not. The more cars with the same **** the more problems that get solved and the increase in reliability.
I get a laugh out of people complaining that Bentley shares platform with VAG, couldnt be more stupid.

I've got a passat with the 2.0tsi, which came after the 2.0fsi and 1.8t, so theyve have a few chances to improve on it and is built into so many VAG models Im confident itll hold up as long as I care to keep it

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've got a passat with the 2.0tsi, which came after the 2.0fsi and 1.8t, so theyve have a few chances to improve on it and is built into so many VAG models Im confident itll hold up as long as I care to keep it

I believe the 2.0tsi is just a newer version of the tfsi, so it's a pretty much bulletproof engine.

mike1445

Reaction score
yeah they made a couple changes to some problem areas, bad cam follower, switched timing belt for timing chain. Dealer I bought from didnt even know about the change which had been made mid model year
me: "does this have the fsi or the tsi they began using from 2008.5?"
dealer: "......uh"

Rad Ryan

Reaction score
My taste in cars is a little different than most of you guys.. The first few pics are of my 67 Camaro the way it looked for a long time, the pictures of it in a darker color are the way it looks right now. I just repainted it and have yet to reassemble everything. The dually is my daily driver, all the Dodge logos on the exterior and interior were replaced with Autobot emblems. It has a tailgate mounted squirt gun that can be operated and opened / closed from inside the cab. I posted a video of it working on the bottom, hope you enjoy.

-Ryan

This is a video of the tailgate squirt gun in action

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads