Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

I don't think touchscreens are appropriate for cars for two reasons:

1. They require you to look at the screen (and away from the road) to use it. Maybe haptics (to be introduced in the Tesla S) will fix this, but I doubt it.
    2. The car shakes too much for the precision of touch that touchscreens require. I notice that I have a harder time using my iPhone in a car (as a passenger) because of the vibration. Maybe a really big screen (like the one in the Tesla S) will solve this, but again I doubt it.

The newer BMWs starting with the E90 do still have that stupid self-resetting indicator stalk. I have no idea why they did that. iDrive is actually pretty good these days. Moving basic controls like HVAC back into physical controls, having dedicated hard buttons for iDrive, and reorganizing the menus has helped it a lot since the E65 days. I used one in an E92 M3 recently with my iPhone plugged in, and I want one!

I think the next big thing will be a HUD that's fully integrated with the infotainment system as well as the outside world in an augmented reality kind of way, maybe controlled with gestures or voice.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I seriously think I could live with an ugly colour for a while, if the car was a great drive and had a nice interior.

It all depends on what you need the car for and price.

F.ex. I can't stand grey interiors, so I wouldn't be able to live it that (I have once never again), but I could live with a pee yellow car, even though I hate colour.

If the car was cheap enough and I just needed it as a beater.

3. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

New audi interface includes a small touchpad at the center console where you can draw letters with your fingertip, i think thats a nice way to get around the key board, especially given that it uses Google search tools to finish words, phrases. better than a qwerty pad for such uses IMHO

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

VW RNS 510 is a touch screen and those work very well.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

New Porsche 918 is going to be epic, it'll Carrera GT status.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Teasers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And look, touchscreen. :lol:
    [​IMG]

6. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Ugly, but I would have to see it in person... That center is ugly as sin though, looks like Best Buy.

7. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

Nice, I like it better than the GT. The console is pretty awful though, I doubt they will keep the touchscreen.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  9. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

that car was known as the beast of bucholz
    the B10 bi-turbo is one of my favorites, I have many period reviews of the car
    although Alpina is still in business and thriving, parts for older cars might be hard to come by
    and they did not just bolt stuff on, they basically remanufactuered the cars and are a registered mfg

10. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

the 918 is all good until i hit the console.

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

12. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

My friends Mercedes has a screen so the driver can see the Nav and driver important shit while the passenger can watch movies from his seat. This is all on one screen, I love the feature and would love to see it on other cars.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

Goddam 918.

Loving the new boxster too and I fucking hate boxters. Would cop spyder.

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

this car probably came to Canada by way of Japan, there is a glut of B10's on the market here, and they sell Alpina through some of the BMW dealer network so it's probably in great condition and dealer serviced.
    Alpinas look great to me because they're not as tryhard looking as an M car, but the problem is that Alpinas are hit and miss in terms of what you are buying as a package IMO. Sometimes the market value shows that, but the resale on Alpinas is huge and for some models you're just better off buying an M car. I think I would rather have an E34 M5 if given the choice between an M and a B10 biturbo. Also, their model designations were weird about 30 years ago and fixed themselves about 10 years ago (3 series became the B3, 5 the B5, the 7 the B7, etc)

For example, there's the E36 B8 cars, which are truly unique things and you won't find anything similar - the B8 4.6 is an E36 saloon with a stroked 540i engine in it!
    http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/model/alpina/S002/

The E34 B10 biturbo - interesting car, I don't know how different it is from a 535i with a turbo kit and some nice interior bits on it though. There's a less desirable non-turbo B10 before this one as well. The E39 B10 V8 came in 4.6 and 4.8 versions - these are E39's with the engine from the X5 4.6iS/4.8iS (some level of cooperation there to develop this stroked engine) - I think the 4.8S engine went into the Alpina Z8 too. Semi-worth it, imo, especially if it's something rare like an E39 wagon B10 V8S from 2002/03.
    http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/model/alpina/S009/

The new Alpinas have tended towards an S/C kit or just upping the boost on the new turbo'd 6/V8 cars to make power from the highest level non-M BMW's in order to make M-level power, so they are similar in idea to the B10 biturbo; these cars don't really do anything for me, except for the B7. They all look cool, but if it's the 3 or 5 series based cars, I would rather just have an M with the ITBs and quad pipes vs. an Alpina with the S/C'ed stock-ish engine.