• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seriously think I could live with an ugly colour for a while, if the car was a great drive and had a nice interior.

It all depends on what you need the car for and price.

F.ex. I can't stand grey interiors, so I wouldn't be able to live it that (I have once never again), but I could live with a pee yellow car, even though I hate colour.

If the car was cheap enough and I just needed it as a beater.

mike1445

Reaction score
New audi interface includes a small touchpad at the center console where you can draw letters with your fingertip, i think thats a nice way to get around the key board, especially given that it uses Google search tools to finish words, phrases. better than a qwerty pad for such uses IMHO

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think touchscreens are appropriate for cars for two reasons:
1. They require you to look at the screen (and away from the road) to use it. Maybe haptics (to be introduced in the Tesla S) will fix this, but I doubt it.
2. The car shakes too much for the precision of touch that touchscreens require. I notice that I have a harder time using my iPhone in a car (as a passenger) because of the vibration. Maybe a really big screen (like the one in the Tesla S) will solve this, but again I doubt it.

VW RNS 510 is a touch screen and those work very well.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New Porsche 918 is going to be epic, it'll Carrera GT status.
35hfqcx.jpg

jshijl.jpg

18fc4w.jpg

Teasers
2s91tut.jpg

2rfydg0.jpg

nq7cxc.jpg

2r25d7s.jpg

And look, touchscreen. :lol:
119a1pg.jpg

KurtS90

Reaction score
Ugly, but I would have to see it in person... That center is ugly as sin though, looks like Best Buy.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, I like it better than the GT. The console is pretty awful though, I doubt they will keep the touchscreen.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
I've always wanted an old m3.. but i haven't found one that I really liked.. today while browsing this http://www.splendidauto.com/viewcar.aspx?carID=363 came up.
Anything I should know about this?
that car was known as the beast of bucholz
the B10 bi-turbo is one of my favorites, I have many period reviews of the car
although Alpina is still in business and thriving, parts for older cars might be hard to come by
and they did not just bolt stuff on, they basically remanufactuered the cars and are a registered mfg

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Car electronics will never update as fast as handheld electronics unless they decouple them. All I want is a jack/mount that I can pop my smartphone/tablet into -- all the familiarity and usability of the interface at my fingertips. Inhibit streaming of video while the car is moving so people don't watch Demolition Man when they should be driving. It would be perfect, and would upgrade as long as I keep upgrading my phone -- the architecture for an interface can long outlast the technology that uses it on the frontside -- like USB.

I do prefer classic switchgear for most controls, though -- all the car controls, comfort, radio, etc. If they did the interface right, then all the car controls that are too complicated for switchgear can be displayed on your device when plugged into the car.

~ H

Last edited:

KurtS90

Reaction score
My friends Mercedes has a screen so the driver can see the Nav and driver important **** while the passenger can watch movies from his seat. This is all on one screen, I love the feature and would love to see it on other cars.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Goddam 918.

Loving the new boxster too and I ******* hate boxters. Would cop spyder.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I've always wanted an old m3.. but i haven't found one that I really liked.. today while browsing this http://www.splendidauto.com/viewcar.aspx?carID=363 came up.
Anything I should know about this?

this car probably came to Canada by way of Japan, there is a glut of B10's on the market here, and they sell Alpina through some of the BMW dealer network so it's probably in great condition and dealer serviced.
Alpinas look great to me because they're not as tryhard looking as an M car, but the problem is that Alpinas are hit and miss in terms of what you are buying as a package IMO. Sometimes the market value shows that, but the resale on Alpinas is huge and for some models you're just better off buying an M car. I think I would rather have an E34 M5 if given the choice between an M and a B10 biturbo. Also, their model designations were weird about 30 years ago and fixed themselves about 10 years ago (3 series became the B3, 5 the B5, the 7 the B7, etc)

For example, there's the E36 B8 cars, which are truly unique things and you won't find anything similar - the B8 4.6 is an E36 saloon with a stroked 540i engine in it!
http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/model/alpina/S002/

The E34 B10 biturbo - interesting car, I don't know how different it is from a 535i with a turbo kit and some nice interior bits on it though. There's a less desirable non-turbo B10 before this one as well. The E39 B10 V8 came in 4.6 and 4.8 versions - these are E39's with the engine from the X5 4.6iS/4.8iS (some level of cooperation there to develop this stroked engine) - I think the 4.8S engine went into the Alpina Z8 too. Semi-worth it, imo, especially if it's something rare like an E39 wagon B10 V8S from 2002/03.
http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/model/alpina/S009/

The new Alpinas have tended towards an S/C kit or just upping the boost on the new turbo'd 6/V8 cars to make power from the highest level non-M BMW's in order to make M-level power, so they are similar in idea to the B10 biturbo; these cars don't really do anything for me, except for the B7. They all look cool, but if it's the 3 or 5 series based cars, I would rather just have an M with the ITBs and quad pipes vs. an Alpina with the S/C'ed stock-ish engine.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

although Alpina is still in business and thriving, parts for older cars might be hard to come by
and they did not just bolt stuff on, they basically remanufactuered the cars and are a registered mfg

Alpina is registered as an Auto maker and not a tuning company, so their car's have new vins and everything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads