Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Reminds me of a Mazda for some odd reason.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Speaking of Mazda

[​IMG]

3. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Where did you find that GIF of me?

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

On your you tube page...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

The new 1 looks like a pig from Angry Birds.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

+ the G&G thread.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

saw an old guy in a navy blue DBS volante today, cruising through traffic with the top down.... everything looked great in passing, and then you got the front end where the guy had swapped in a light blue bonnet for a two-tone effect :fu: These people are horrible....

8. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Am I alone or does the interior matter much more than the exterior with cars?

Example: choosing between the A8 and Pheaton - The VW has the more horrible steering wheel I've ever seen and the most uninviting cockpit I've seen. Used they are the same price, but I'd never take the VW because it feels like a car from the 90's.

That new 3 Series looks "meh" from the outside, but that driving position would make me leap at it over an A4/C Class/ Jaguar simply because it feel like it would be a nice place to spend 20,000 miles.

Car reviews, Autotrader etc all show exterior : interior at about 8:1, but my bias when buying is something like 80% in favour of a good interior. Maybe I'm just a little twisted.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I say it is just as important but certainly wouldn't say more.
    I mean it can have the most luxurious and beautiful interior but if the exterior looks like the Aztek then I'd never drive it even if someone paid me to do it.

Interior is very important because as the driver, you do spend most of your time inside the car so it has to be comfortable and has all the things you want and need while driving.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I would suggest they matter equally. I was quite picky, my color combo is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

I agree with you that interior counts for a lot more, and not just aesthetics, but ergonomics as well. When I rent cars (in the US, so it's been American products), I'm always shocked at how good the design of my 12-year old BMW 328 is compared to many new cars. And it's not immediately apparent when you sit in the BMW, because the design is mostly unobtrusive and unnoticeable --- things are just where they're supposed to be. And it's not just that I'm used to the car after 12 years, but I got that impression sitting in it new and comparing it to an Audi A4: the BMW just felt right. As much as everyone (including me) like to say BMW is going downhill, after sitting and driving in their recent cars, this kind of usability design is still really alive in their latest cars.

There are some other cars that feel this way, too: older Honda Accords from the 90s, and a couple of Toyotas (last-gen Camry and Prius) have everything just fall naturally to hand. Porsches are pretty good about this, too.

Two recent cars that are pretty bad from an interior design POV are the Chevy HHR and the Fiat 500. The HHR had all sorts of conflicting things, like cupholders becoming unusable when you put down the armrest, and terrible visibility. The Fiat also had terrible visibility, and the interior was definitely form over function: it looked great until you tried to use it.

12. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I noticed this as well. I've always hated Porsche styling and interiors from photos and videos, but one day a friend of the family turned up in a Carrera 4 and let me take it for a spin. Suddenly the inelegant lines and sparsity meant nothing simply because I never even had to think where a button might be. It was always there, like it had been designed not by pencils, but by a guy pointing and everyone else noting where it should go.

I don't know, I just feel like if I'm buying a car, I want 10 photos of the inside and 5 of the outside. Maybe one of an engine if its something special. No idea why people bother showing teh engine of a 2.0TDi Passat.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Took a quick snap of this while I was getting some breakfast today. I just love this damn car. :drool:
    [​IMG]

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

^^ I would venture that if you care more about the exterior than the interior then you are a touch on the vain side.

You spend the time on the inside unless you are one of those titty models that shows off cars.

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

There's a great video of VW CEO Martin Winterkorn examining a Hyundai's interior at an auto show, and giving his lackeys a hard time:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

http://jalopnik.com/5844809/watch-volkswagens-ceo-complain-about-hyundais-superior-interior