• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 99% of uses, the weight is not much of an issue. Also, they could be made lighter, but Americans insist on gigantic cars.
Well designed EVs don't have quite so big a weight penalty. Tesla Model 3s weighs about the same as BMW M3s (~4,000 lbs).

When you take a legacy platform and bolt on EV stuff, it's heavier, but in the future when all EVs are on EV-specific platforms, the weight penalty is probably only going to be a few hundred pounds for typical family cars.

Massive SUVs require larger batteries but even there the ICE ones are so heavy that the EV penalty isn't meaningful - 3-row BMWs and MBs ICEs are pushing 6k lbs so will anyone notice a few hundred extra lbs of battery?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a fair set of points to explain a certain trend, but then it paints that trend as a “loss” for the US, which i don’t necessarily agree with. I would be totally fine with “getting my asz kicked at (the adoption of) EV’s” if the reason for this is because I won’t buy an EV until they start to meet a set of lofty standards.

Note that this doesn’t mean I agree with all US consumer standards for buying an EV. Great range and better driving experience, yes. as big and heavy as possible, no.
the negative should be understood in the effects on industry. If the US automakers only have succes left in the US itself, where the RoW would be dominated by others, that would have some serious knock on effects in the economy.

For consumers though? Meh.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cybertruck with Carolina Squat?

Houston raises you one

1718941887178.png

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6892.jpeg
IMG_6893.jpeg

^Slowly upgrading the s550. Slapped some Rohana GFX 10 on it last week:

275/35/20 - 20x10 - front
305/35/20 - 20x11 - rear

Tires are Nitto 555 G2.

IMG_6868.jpg

^Also installed Steeda Tri-Ax Race Short Shifter

And, Vengeance Stage 2 Clutch:

^These mods have drastically transformed the driving experience. Clutch is about 200 miles into the 500 mile break-in period and is vastly superior to OEM. The Steeda shifter is also a different animal, car is a joy and thrill to drive.

Shifter completely negated the "slop" of the OEM and is notchy and mechanical. No more wondering which gear you are in.

Cheers!

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6897.jpeg
IMG_6899.jpeg
IMG_6900.jpeg
IMG_6901.jpeg

^Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers with high flow cats. 304 Stainless Steel. Made in USA.

IMG_6905.jpeg

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6903.jpeg

^Borla Switchfire Midpipe. Also 304 Stainless and USA made.

Install is scheduled for this coming Monday. There are some other significant upgrades this round which include some chassis and suspension mods which will help get more power to the ground.

When I spoke to Borla on the phone, they recommended I go with this resonator delete mid pipe instead of their full cat-back system because the addition of long tube headers will awaken the exhaust sounds exponentially. So, I took their advice.

There are many more high end mods coming...literally I am waiting for them to arriving in shipment. Will try and remember to post updates here soon.

Cheers!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 2203817 View attachment 2203819

^Slowly upgrading the s550. Slapped some Rohana GFX 10 on it last week:

275/35/20 - 20x10 - front
305/35/20 - 20x11 - rear

Tires are Nitto 555 G2.

View attachment 2203821

^Also installed Steeda Tri-Ax Race Short Shifter

And, Vengeance Stage 2 Clutch:

^These mods have drastically transformed the driving experience. Clutch is about 200 miles into the 500 mile break-in period and is vastly superior to OEM. The Steeda shifter is also a different animal, car is a joy and thrill to drive.

Shifter completely negated the "slop" of the OEM and is notchy and mechanical. No more wondering which gear you are in.

Cheers!
I love me a good shift action (ok lemme have it). It is a huge part of the pleasure of driving a car.

On me bike ride this morning, i was passed by a Tesla Cybertruck that was rattlecanned white. Between this one and the Carolina squatted one…..are these all being bought by trolls??

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I got to take the Alpina for a drive this morning. It's rated 0-60 in just over three seconds and Imma believe it. Sure there's faster things out there but that is a phuck of a lot of metal to slingshot like that. The fit and finish is beyond impeccable, the handling can be dialed in surprisingly sporty (relatively speaking) and I didn't detect body roll cornering. It is also amazingly quiet and smooth when cruising.

My only knock would be I don't like the dark blue paint.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only knock would be I don't like the dark blue paint.
Boooo!!! Dark blue rules!!

Clearly I stick with the same things over and over. My S4 is Navarra Blue and whenever i build something using a manufacturer’s configurator I end up with blue 90% of the time and some sort of green the other 10%.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
View attachment 2204165

letting this one go... so I can get my Lexus GX 550 😍

I plan to buy one in a couple of years. Which dress are you getting? I'm thinking of the Luxury+ but I'm hoping they'll have rim choices other than 22" low profile by then. I'm also hoping they'll make it available with the plug-in hybrid engine. Let me know which dress you're getting and how you like it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan to buy one in a couple of years. Which dress are you getting? I'm thinking of the Luxury+ but I'm hoping they'll have rim choices other than 22" low profile by then. I'm also hoping they'll make it available with the plug-in hybrid engine. Let me know which dress you're getting and how you like it.
I saw a GX550 out in the wild a few weeks back. I'm pretty sure it was one of the Overtrail models but not 100% sure. I'll say that the GX looks pretty sweet but the 22" rims look ridiculous on the GX550 Luxury.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alabaster7