• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Always wondered about the spare on jeeps. Do you rotate the spare? We've owned ours for 7-ish years. Never rotated the original spare tire, just left it alone. I switched the OEM AT tires for Michelin SUV/touring tires a couple of years ago but the original is still on the back. It would be fine for a short trip but I can also see my not too bright inexperienced son getting a flat and driving on it while at school and never saying anything.
Most cars like that use non-directional tires and run a 5-wheel rotation, right?

5-tire-rotation-pattern-4WD-RWD-overland-tire-care.jpg

Although I've been trying to puzzle through this if I switched to a fulll size spare in my wife's car (there's room in the trunk and she's due for new tires soon, which will likely be non-directional "softroading" tires).

It is AWD so mismatched tires can be destructive...so you'd probably want to rotate more frequently. We also switch between winter and summer wheels...so a completely new full size spare could be an issue if it went on against some half-worn winter tires.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Always wondered about the spare on jeeps. Do you rotate the spare? We've owned ours for 7-ish years. Never rotated the original spare tire, just left it alone. I switched the OEM AT tires for Michelin SUV/touring tires a couple of years ago but the original is still on the back. It would be fine for a short trip but I can also see my not too bright inexperienced son getting a flat and driving on it while at school and never saying anything.
I do on mine

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

afaik best practice is to rotate the spare in yep but you have to be consistent with it . the other thing is they weather over time regardless of use so I do buy 5 tires when I replace (i've done twice in the 9 years we've had this jeep , the rule of thumb is ~40k / 5 years ) .

when i've gone to les Schwab for 'free' rotations / flat fixes I find they just don't listen ( they've 'fixed' the wrong tire and can't seem to manage the rotation properly so i'm not going back ) . they were also the shop that gave me a pretty inflated price on white label tires , nope nope nope . I'd rather pay for quality service .

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
afaik best practice is to rotate the spare in yep but you have to be consistent with it . the other thing is they weather over time regardless of use so I do buy 5 tires when I replace (i've done twice in the 9 years we've had this jeep , the rule of thumb is ~40k / 5 years ) .
Why are you buying tires so often -they should last longer?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you buying tires so often -they should last longer?
tires last ~40k miles . I'm at 80k mostly town driving ( wife and I get by with one whip ) , lots of starts and stops takes a toll . the tires were def due and it was a must to replace before the rain comes back . I don't garage my car so that's also a factor .

if i'd rotated the set with the 5th tire they would've lasted a bit longer tbh but as I say the free places never do . live and learn .

Most cars like that use non-directional tires and run a 5-wheel rotation, right?

5-tire-rotation-pattern-4WD-RWD-overland-tire-care.jpg

Although I've been trying to puzzle through this if I switched to a fulll size spare in my wife's car (there's room in the trunk and she's due for new tires soon, which will likely be non-directional "softroading" tires).

It is AWD so mismatched tires can be destructive...so you'd probably want to rotate more frequently. We also switch between winter and summer wheels...so a completely new full size spare could be an issue if it went on against some half-worn winter tires.

if you do it when the tires are new and stay current rotating all 5 would be ideal I think . you should get more out of the set and if you need to run the spare it's better for the drivetrain

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All that engineering mumbo jumbo is nice and all but to me the most impressive thing Porsche did was only add just over 100lbs to the total weight of the car.

I don't understand Mercedes C63S AMG cutting the engine size in half but adding nearly 800lbs because of the hybrid. The AMG GT 63 S E-performance has like 750lbs on the non-hybrid but that's already up like 800lbs on the prior generation AMG GT.

Like seriously. Wtf is Mercedes AMG doing?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got a text from a good friend today telling me he's at the DMV registering his new ride. I ask, "What did you get?" He replied I would have to Google it, an Alpina. I text back immediately, "Nice BMW!!" He's ticked I knew what it was and won't tell me what he got until I go visit.

🤣

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a text from a good friend today telling me he's at the DMV registering his new ride. I ask, "What did you get?" He replied I would have to Google it, an Alpina. I text back immediately, "Nice BMW!!" He's ticked I knew what it was and won't tell me what he got until I go visit.

🤣
Should’ve told him their F1 team sucks. Why TF would you get a French car?

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

🤣
One of my close friends has an XB7. He loves it and it's definitely as advertised but I don't really see the point in 2024. My buddy loved the if you know you know vibes more so than the practical implications, and he has the financial profile to not care about the brutal depreciation. Maybe he'll sell it to me for $50k when he gets tired of it in a year or two.

To my mind, Alpinas no longer pencil out in the market. They get smoked in a straight line by just about every "comparable" EV. They represent a class of vehicle that I don't think will exist in a few years - big, heavy, ICE powered luxury vehicles. You derive very few benefits from the ICE powertrain in that class of vehicle. It even manages the rare feat of being even heavier than "comparable" EVs (the MB EQS580 is a few lbs lighter). You could argue that before EVs were mainstream, the notion of a huge luxobarge ripping off 4s 0-60 runs made cars like this (Alpina, AMG, etc.) uniquely cool, but that's just not the case any more. Unless you are into long-distance road trips, I don't know why you would want a 6k pound ICE SUV.

I'm more open to the theoretical luxury benefits of Alpina, it's just a bit less clear to me that it is really that special. Perhaps in part because luxury car makers have improved their materials over the last decade and perhaps in part because we're seeing a move away from physical controls to screens, it seems like there just isn't a big delta between Alpina and the normal ones. The main benefits as far as I can tell were quilted seats and nicer carpets.

I suspect that Alpina, like AMG, will be all EV in a few years. Will be interesting to see Porsche's new 3-row EV whenever that is unveiled.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I forgot to mention he turns 78 next week. Something tells me this was just for the phuck of it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m interested in the concept of the Alpina as a more exclusive, better looking, more luxurious high-series BMW. If in fact it does deliver on that promise. It certainly used to, but i haven’t driven an Alpina since the mid-2000’s and don’t really know anymore

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ended up in a Volvo S60 sedan from Hertz this week. Standard mid sized sedan but was surprised to see that as a mild hybrid it gets 560 mi to a tank of gas. I assume it has the same 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo as my wife’s XC90 but without the weight/aero penalty of an SUV, it gets decent mileage. I so wish she chose the wagon.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamburns944