• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surprised this beauty came to the states! Bunch of reviews just came out. Looks fantastic!!

All the 5 series with those rear corner indents look awful to me. I was looking into getting one based on promo pictures but I can't stand them irl.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess tires got more expensive ? getting some all terrain for the ol' jeep next week and was a bit surprised at the total .

inflation ? maybe 4 is the new 5 with most cars lacking the full size spare ?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess tires got more expensive ? getting some all terrain for the ol' jeep next week and was a bit surprised at the total .

inflation ? maybe 4 is the new 5 with most cars lacking the full size spare ?

Depends on sizing. My Outback tires are cheap, <$1K for a set. Haven't needed them on my wife's 2-series but they are 17s so will likely be cheaper. Porsche tires will be expensive...Porsche of Nashville quoted $1,700 for 2 front tires.

Great for track but not for everyday driving.

How would you know without a Peak Porsche? Could be the best DD ev4r!

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the dealer to confirm whether my batteries are shot, apparently they are running a 4 hour test. Should have car back tomorrow.

In other news, wanted to weigh in on EV ownership after about ~6 months with the EQB. All in all, it has exceeded expectations. The EQB has been what we expected it to be - size is great for our family, easy to park, range is more than fine, etc. I still think it's ugly but not so ugly that it matters. One complaint is that the high-speed charging isn't fast enough but honestly it matters so little. This is in large part because it charges at its maximum speed (100kw) pretty much the whole time I'm plugged into the charger. Some cars may say they charge at 250kw+, but that is a peak rate they barely hit, so overall we only spend a few extra minutes per fast charge plus we are perfectly happy at the 150kw chargers and don't have to seek out the 350s.

The rest of this rant is less about the EQB specifically and more about EVs as a whole.

First - I don't think EVs get enough credit for allowing you to avoid gas stations for daily driving. If we had an ICE as our daily, we would have filled up at least 10-12 times during that span, and each time would be an annoyance. This is exacerbated by where we live and the places we most commonly drive, but it's basically always annoying to have to go out of my way to fill up the car and I don't miss it one bit.

Second - the extra annoyance from charging batteries on road trips doesn't come anywhere close to neutralizing the first benefit. We have a cheat code here since we mostly take the Jeep on road trips, but we also have one of the more extreme usage cases - we probably drove had 20 trips to the mountains (200 miles each way) this winter. We did take the EV on 2 road trips, and I didn't find charging super annoying because it wasn't really out of the way (similar to gas stations). I'm not at the point where I would want to deal with the extra hassle of going EV only given how frequently we need to go to the mountains, but for most people I would guess the benefits of in home charging far outweighs the road trip penalty.

Third - Everyone talks about how EVs are appliances and not as fun as ICE vehicles, but I think they have it backward. Compared to 99%+ of the cars on the road, EV's are more fun. The powertrain benefits, even in a slow EV like mine, is obvious. The linear acceleration and the powertrain smoothness is phenomenal. Sure, it's not a Ferrari V-12, but neither was my clattery Subaru Flat 4 or the vast majority of "premium" cars these days which have direct injection 2L turbo 4s. And, the low center of gravity from the thousand pounds of batteries really does help with handling. Unless you are driving one of the best performing ICE powertrains in a sports car, almost any EV will be more enjoyable to drive. Our EQB is significantly "slower" than our GLC was but feels much faster and the handling is great (fwiw, we were quite happy with the GLC performance and handling).

Obviously EVs aren't for everyone. I'm not quite ready to replace my Jeep with a Rivian, but I'm pretty damn close at this point. I'm mostly here to say that I now think so much of the classic anti-EV arguments about them being clinical appliances is really only applicable if your alternative is a real performance car and even there, I think EVs are pretty competitive. All this talk about EVs being soulless compared to high end sports cars is ridiculous. Cars don't have souls, they have performance characteristics. The holy grail of an ICE engine would more or less be an EV that sounds better. A good friend of mine was firmly in the EVs are soulless appliance camps (he's got a 911 and a 430 in his garage) and recently got a Lucid. His wife was annoyed at him for getting the Lucid but after a week she's mad at him for not getting 2. He's not getting rid of his sports cars but he doesn't talk about his Lucid being soulless.

tl;dr 99%+ of motor vehicles on the road are soulless, and EVs are more fun than almost all of those soulless vehicles. People who are cross-shopping an EV against a Cayman or F8 have plenty of reasons to avoid an EV for now but for your run of the mill enthusiast car (5-series, etc.), the soulless argument is unlikely to be valid.
Following up on this prior post - a "car guy" friend recently got a Lucid on a screaming lease deal to add to his fleet. Before the Lucid he had a 911, an F360, an old beater and a 3-row SUV. His wife was skeptical when he brought home the Lucid without any warning. He (and his wife) had been somewhat skeptical of EVs but he decided to go for it.

After his wife's first drive she asked why he didn't get two.

Within a month he sold his 911. He said that the Lucid was so much fun he didn't think he'd ever want to drive his 911 again (he often drove it to ferry his kids around). He has been surprised at how enjoyable the Lucid is and loves the performance.

I am going to bet that the new 911 GTS is a screamer and that once the copium from existing owners dies down, people will absolutely love it.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Following up on this prior post - a "car guy" friend recently got a Lucid on a screaming lease deal to add to his fleet. Before the Lucid he had a 911, an F360, an old beater and a 3-row SUV. His wife was skeptical when he brought home the Lucid without any warning. He (and his wife) had been somewhat skeptical of EVs but he decided to go for it.

After his wife's first drive she asked why he didn't get two.

Within a month he sold his 911. He said that the Lucid was so much fun he didn't think he'd ever want to drive his 911 again (he often drove it to ferry his kids around). He has been surprised at how enjoyable the Lucid is and loves the performance.

I am going to bet that the new 911 GTS is a screamer and that once the copium from existing owners dies down, people will absolutely love it.

Real car guys don't like electric cars. Ipso facto, your friend isn't and has never been a car guy. QED.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great for track but not for everyday driving.

I was getting an oil change at the Audi dealer and of course wandered into the showroom to look at the RS5. It's gorgeous, great tech, interior, etc. The salesguy went on and on about 100 more HP and a second quicker to 60 than my S4.

I immediately thought that while nice, it wouldn't change my daily driving at all and I have no desire to track my daily for fear of wrecking it (and a track day policy through Hagerty would be $500+) and burning through tires and brakes.

You probably hit the sweet spot with the GTS 4.0. More than enough HP for the street.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was getting an oil change at the Audi dealer and of course wandered into the showroom to look at the RS5. It's gorgeous, great tech, interior, etc. The salesguy went on and on about 100 more HP and a second quicker to 60 than my S4.

I immediately thought that while nice, it wouldn't change my daily driving at all and I have no desire to track my daily for fear of wrecking it (and a track day policy through Hagerty would be $500+) and burning through tires and brakes.

You probably hit the sweet spot with the GTS 4.0. More than enough HP for the street.
The bigger HP/faster 0-60 thing is the sports car equivalent of the truck/SUV size and towing capacity. After a certain point, it's all useless sales fluff.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on sizing. My Outback tires are cheap, <$1K for a set. Haven't needed them on my wife's 2-series but they are 17s so will likely be cheaper. Porsche tires will be expensive...Porsche of Nashville quoted $1,700 for 2 front tires.

these are 16s , my Jeep is like a Mario kart . ~1700 for ATs on sale surprised me a bit .

time to join the modern world I guess

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these are 16s , my Jeep is like a Mario kart . ~1700 for ATs on sale surprised me a bit .

time to join the modern world I guess

That does seem like a lot, especially for 16" wheels. My son is driving my wife's old car/jeep w/18's. It was a couple of years ago but I ditched the AT's in favor of a Michelin SUV touring tire which were $1200 mounted for the set. I was shocked at how quiet they were compared to the AT tires.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does seem like a lot, especially for 16" wheels. My son is driving my wife's old car/jeep w/18's. It was a couple of years ago but I ditched the AT's in favor of a Michelin SUV touring tire which were $1200 mounted for the set. I was shocked at how quiet they were compared to the AT tires.

if it were the extended 4dr wrangler with independent front suspension I'd def go with a touring tire .

the stock tires were a more touring-type 'AT' and with the short 2dr wheelbase plus the tall gears they were surprisingly slippy around corners in low gears . the more bfg-type ATs that replaced those have been very sure-footed .

i'm going to poke around to see if there's not a better deal . thanks for the input folks !

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$1700 for Jeep tires is about what I’d pay for a set of Michelin PS4S on the GT3 or GT4. I guess all these specialty tires are big buxx

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$1700 for Jeep tires is about what I’d pay for a set of Michelin PS4S on the GT3 or GT4. I guess all these specialty tires are big buxx

I guess dealership tax is high but where are you going for tires on the P-cars?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drdanielva